“Great Stay!”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Wonderful to have Kreig coffee in the am! Rebecca was our shuttle driver (great to know Hotel has Shuttle service for future events for walking around the town late in evening). Maid service was great! Bar staff was great! Front Desk was very helpful when arriving very late in the evening.

Room Tip: Great location, great price for the King Size room, clean, quiet and free parking!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear LHarris0930,

Thank you for your review of our hotel! I am very glad to know that you enjoyed the in-room Keurig coffee makers. Did you know that we also offer a variety of coffee flavors, tea, and hot chocolate for the Keurigs at our Front Desk? I will be sure to share your positive feedback with our front desk staff and shuttle driver and am glad that our around town shuttle provided you with convenience. I invite you to contact me any time if I can be of assistance to you and thank you again for your business, your compliments, and willingness to share your experience with other travelers.

There are newer reviews for The Atherton Hotel

Reviewed May 27, 2014

Staying at the Atherton Hotel is a pleasure. Great hospitality at the front desk, very accommodating staff, clean, comfortable rooms and good food.Great location if you like to walk. Walk through town for a bite to eat, shopping and for an adventure visit the creamery and the arbortorium. I visit State College twice a year for training and the rooms are elegant with good technology and comfort.

Dear Marybeth S.,
Thank you very much for your comments and review. I am very pleased to know and honored that The Atherton is your home away from home during your regular business trips State College. It is wonderful that you are able to walk to so many terrific places in town and on campus and sounds like you really make the most of your visits to the area. Our staff is so appreciative of all guest feedback and insight. Thank you---We look forward to working for you again soon.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Having stayed here at lease twice a year over the past three years, I would say this hotel is a great place to stay with friendly staff, great food, and comfortable, clean and large rooms, The location in State College can not be beat. It provides the ability to walk anywhere you want to go.
The staff is very professional and accommodate every request.

Dear DonnaRay 59,
Thank you for your review. It is always very special to hear from our regular guests. We appreciate not just your comments, but your continued patronage of the hotel. I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. Thank you for sharing that you enjoyed the location, food, and comfort of your room and I hope that you got the chance to walk downtown while you were visiting with us. If I can ever be of assistance to you in State College please call me directly. I am always available to our guests. Thank you again.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

My company holds our quarterly meeting here every quarter, we like the huge meeting rooms, very clean rooms, perfect bed, great food, very friendly people that do their job well. We are very pleased every time with service. Great location, walking distance to several restaurants. Just a good place to do business.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Eightyfour84,
Thank you so much for taking time to review your stay with us. Since a significant portion of our guests are traveling to us for conferences and meetings it is a great pleasure to know that we did our job well and that you were happy with your room, meeting space, our location, and food. Please know that your positive reinforcement to our staff is so meaningful. We will look forward to seeing you next quarter. Please feel welcome to contact me at my direct extension if I can ever be of service to you in the future: 814-231-2100 ext 118. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed four nights while attending a conference at PSU. As a frequent business traveler, I found it very clean, quiet and comfortable. The room was very large compared to hotels in larger cities. Internet connectivity was excellent.

The decor is very Pennsylvania, with interesting combinations of colors and patterns – a bit old-time eclectic and rather enchanting.

Dear Susanne j.,
Thank you for your lovely review. It is our first time being called enchanting on TripAdvisor and we truly appreciate the compliment. I will be sure to pass along your thoughts in our staff meeting where we review guest comments and reviews. Most importantly I'm very pleased to know that you enjoyed your four day stay with us and in State College. Please know that my staff and I are always available to you and if I can be of future assistance in arranging your stay it would be my pleasure to do so. Your business is of great value to us and I thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Have stayed here when visiting my child at PSU. Atherton is consistently clean and food in both restaurants is excellent and ample. Portions are generous but the only upgrade I'd recommend is having some lighter fare available for the health conscious.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear attyerandolph,

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. I will pass along your compliments to our housekeeping staff as well as our Executive Chef. Although our restaurant and bar are known for large portions, it is a terrific idea to add some specific healthy choices on our menus. I will incorporate this into our next seasonal menu change and I thank you for the suggestion! I'm so glad to know you enjoyed our downtown location and hope that you had the chance to get out and enjoy some of this lovely spring weather in Happy Valley. If I can be of assistance to you when you're in State College again I invite you to call upon me directly any time. Your business is very important to us. Thank you.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Our son is a Student at Penn State. The Atherton is one of our first choices when looking for somewhere to stay. It is very convenient to college town and the campus. The lounge is a great place to get a drink or a quick something to eat.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear Stephen C.,
Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and found The Atherton to be a convenient and pleasurable location to have a college visit. Since many of us on staff are PSU students or grads ourselves, it's truly our pleasure to have the opportunity to serve Penn State families and fans. If I can ever be of help to you when you're in the area or assist with a reservation, please feel welcome to call upon me directly. Thank you again.