“weekend drunks”
Review of The Atherton Hotel

The Atherton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Atherton's location cant be beat and it is reasonably priced...unfortunately that combination makes it an attractive location for the young/ young at heart and the bar scene on the weekends. Expect alcohol induced language and behavior. Expect noise and in room parties. We had our door pounded on several times, waking us from a sound sleep and scaring our children. We nearly left at 2 am. The front desk trys to keep order with a security guard. Our future weekends at PSU will be elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction. I'm sorry to know that other guests disturbed you while you were here and hope that we can try to improve your opinion of The Atherton by having the opportunity to offer reconciliation. We would love to have you visit us and try us again on a quiet weekend. Although we are located in the heart of downtown State College, we do not ordinarily have troubles with loud guests. Knowing your preferences in advance we can be sure to assign a room that is in a location that might better fit your needs. In addition I have sent you a private message with my contact information and hope that you may be willing to share your feedback with me directly so we can make every effort to regain your confidence in our hotel, and to improve service to other guests based on your insight.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband needed to be in State College for business and I tagged along for a quick get away. it's a great location, easy to walk to everything and they offered a fantastic shuttle service as well. The staff is over the top, very friendly and accommodating. Kevin made our stay exceptional with his accommodating and pleasant attitude, He truly went out of his way to make us feel welcome. Very clean and great amenities, we really enjoyed the bar/restaurant as well. The food is great and the staff was very pleasant. We will never stay anywhere else when in this area, what a great overall value!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and for your kind compliments to our staff. I am very happy to know that the hotel met your needs and expectations and hope that if I can ever be of assistance to you during future visits you will feel welcome to contact me directly. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and write a review.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I were in town to hear YDF at the Cafe 210 in downtown State College, PA. We needed a place to crash for one night. We read the reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to stay at the Atherton. We found it very CLEAN and CONVENIENT. It was an easy walk to wherever we needed to go. Nice big rooms too!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
TheAthertonHotel, General Manager at The Atherton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and for sharing your compliments. We appreciate your business very much. If I can ever be of assistance to you in the future, please feel welcome to contact me directly.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have held our last two regional sales meetings at the property for over 100 salespeople and the hotel has done nothing to ruin my percieved genius as a meeting planner. From the meeting planning and personal service with Steven Romig, the reservation process to the staff meeting every need that comes up and providing great meals for the attendees we have had a wonderful experience each time. They will work with you to make it meet any need you have and the fact that you can park your car for the length of your stay and walk anywhere you need to go is an additional plus. The atmosphere beats the hustle and bustle of the and the college atmosphere takes you back to a better place and good memories.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your compliments to Steven and our staff. Your patronage of The Atherton is truly appreciated and valued.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have had our annual fall conference at the Atherton for over 5 years and our group will go no
where else. First, Steven Romig and the conference staff do everything possible to make sure that things go smoothly. Because of the quality of the food and service, we have all our meals as part of our registration fee. Though State College has great restaurants, one could not have the variety and quality of meals for the price we pay - besides we do not have to leave the hotel!
Once you park your car, you can visit the downtown and campus without ever moving it again.
The meals are served on time, quickly, hot and with a smile. There is always a "point" person available throughout the conference. Steven is always readily available during the time we are preparing for our conference. Phone calls and emails are quickly answered. When the conference is over, there is always a follow-up by the management and another by Steven to check on the service. They really want to know what makes their customers happy.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your kind compliments about the hotel, our staff, and especially in regard to Steven. We are so glad to be able to pass along your comments to our staff. We take the reviews seriously and with appreciation for guests' insight. Thank you very much and if there is ever anything I can do to assist you during your visits to State College, please feel welcome to call upon me.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

First I would like to say that after a few months, a manager responded to my concerns, but the time it took for him to answer only added to my complaints. As a recent Penn State graduate, I knew the Atherton was in a great location and was supposed to be one of the nicer places to stay downtown. I was in for an alumni reunion weekend for a club I participated in while at Penn State, and they had rooms blocked off here. I requested two rooms next to each other. Before I got there, they allowed my friend, who's name was no where on the reservation, to check into one of the rooms. Once I got there, I learned our rooms were on different floors. As it was fraternity and sorority parents' weekend, there were no rooms for us to move to so my request was not fulfilled. They then proceeded to treat us like we were crazy college students the entire weekend, warning us to behave before we ever did anything wrong (and we were behaved adults-to their surprise!) The parking lot was also full when we got there as there was an event. We were told to find somewhere else to park (after driving hours). After learning we would have to pay for parking it was absurd there was none available to us who reserved rooms! Then the weekend ended with ants in our room! Again, my concerns were eventually addressed, but the weekend made me never want to book there again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

I want to make sure you know how important your business and insight are to us. We value our guests' comments and take them seriously. In a private message I've sent my contact information and hope you will consider contacting me so that I can speak with you directly to insure that we improve upon these areas. We would truly appreciate the opportunity to rectify any issues and have a second chance to earn your future business. Penn State students and alumni, their parents, families, and organizations are truly of the highest importance to us as a family owned and operated business of Penn State graduates and fans. Please accept my apology on behalf of any member of our staff who may have acted otherwise. Please feel welcome to contact me any time so I can make this right with you. Best regards, Maggie Biddle

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We spent the night after dropping my son and his friends off for the start of the spring semester. It is one of the nicer places to stay in State College and the location is perfect, like others have said. We were greeted by a friendly checkin person. Underground parking was great. Our room was on level three and to be honest, we could hear a lot of noise from the street on a quiet Sunday night. In addition, the walls are very thin and we were awoken by the return of people in the next room at 1:30 a.m.; they were not talking loudly, it's just the way the place is built and the way the rooms are configured. I imagine it would be really loud if the place was packed. I'd also say that the mattress in our room was ready to be replaced. On a quiet Sunday night, however, we got a great value and were happy we stayed at The Atherton.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor to avoid street noise.