“Really bad Panera”

Cuisines: American, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Came in for a bagel and coffee with my daughter. Asked for a plain bagel toasted. Server gave me a plate with a bagel that was burned black. It was literally burned to a crisp. I asked for another. She looked at it and said, "someone changed the [toaster] setting." Perhaps this would have been a reasonable excuse if my server had been suffering from a visual imparent. She was not. She simply saw the burned bagel and gave it to me anyway. She then proceeded to slice and "toast" another bagel. This time she changed the setting so that the bagel was not toasted. It was still white, soft, and merely warm. It was clearly not "toasted" in any sense of the word. She then dropped it on top of the burned bagel, which was stil lsitting on the plate, and said "take both, they're yours." When I told her I didn't want the burned bagel, she grunted and took it off the plate-like she was doing me a big and highly burdensome favor.
Rather than argue, I simply took the I un-toasted bagel and left. Not worth wasting one more minute of my time with this place. This place really stinks.

1  Thank JACProvidence

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The restaurant could be so much better. They had 5 soups none of which appealed to me. They make their bread on premises but it didn't seem fresh.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place has a great selection of pastry, never seen anything like this for breakfast. They also have a good lunch menu too. They have a number a different coffees in huge dispensers on the main floor. Once you pay for a cup, you can get free refills. Quality food and beverages at a fair price for downtown State College

Reviewed May 16, 2013

overly sweet goodies, average made-ahead coffee, clean restaurant but a typical chain - no surprises

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I frequent Panera Bread in many locations and find most are clean, have good service, and are reliable in delivering quality food products. The State College location is no exception.
I had the Pick 2 with a Salmon Sandwich and Greek salad. Both fresh well seasoned and enjoyable. Service was quick and the eating are was clean and well kept.