“What a delightful getaway - unordinary”
Review of Carnegie Inn & Spa

Carnegie Inn & Spa
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a quaint Inn or boutique hotel. 20 rooms of which I was able to see a few of each as gm took me on a tour. Each room is quite spacious, more so than a normal hotel room and each is uniquely decorated. Each rom has a sofa, end tables with lamps and soft chair to sit in making the room feel like home and not a hotel which is what is so unique. You can get away and still feel like home.
There is a great library with shelves of actual books and this is a great area to read the newspaper in the morning while sipping on the complimentary coffee. A gourmet breakfast is included and dinner is to die for. We had cocktails in the bar and library to start and moved into dining room to be seated.
This is not an ultra modern place with a hotel feel. If you want comfortable with incredible service then I would advise trying it out. Though maybe I don't as I don't want too many of you to find out about it and spoil my next trip. Oh, alright, give it a go!
BTW, they have a freee shuttle to and from the airport! Boy was that handy versus having to rent a car and letting it sit.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the 17th hole of the golf course. Ask for one of the suites as they are larger...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Pete W, General Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Greetings,
Wow, thanks for the great review! We are delighted that you were able to achieve a "get away" and just relax. Please do come and let us take care of you again!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I have spent double digit number of nights in State College in chain hotels and just discovered the Carnegie House on my most recent visit. It was outstanding! It is a small intimate inn with only 22 rooms - they are beautiful, spacious, and well appointed. The location is quiet and scenic but very close to the interstate, restaurants, and shopping. We ate both dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. Breakfast is included and consisted of eggs cooked to order, omelets, fresh fruit, etc. Dinner was outstanding, beautifully presented and delicious. Fresh flowers adorned every table. "Sam," the manager, made it a point to know all his guests and accommodate all their needs. This is my new "go to" spot in State College, PA.

Room Tip: The rooms are all beautiful but overlooking the golf course is the best.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank graymar6
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife is VERY picky about hotels and inns and this is one of her favorites. Nice quiet location, easy parking, good rooms and breakfast. (Never had dinner there.). Doesn't have the claustrophobic feel of some B&Bs and inns. Also, doesn't have the impersonal feel of a large hotel. just right.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Gggghhhh
Reviewed March 25, 2012

A huge shout out to the kindness of the staff at the carnegie house! From the early check in to the unending care we received during our stay after my daughter had some oral surgery performed - I cannot thank you all enough. We enjoyed the afternoon sun on the patio, relaxed in our comfortable room with frequent visits to the front office to freeze our ice packs,took a quick trip to conveniently located Wegmans and thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and conversation with our attentive and very hard-working server! Staying away from the busy campus and downtown was perfect....will be sure to share our experience with friends! Be back soon!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Beautiful inn, gorgeous rooms, gourmet level restaurant; love the conversation areas located throughout the inn; only drawback, it's a Sunday night; as far as we can tell, we're the only guests still here; the lights are on in the library but no fire in the fireplace, and it is chilly, and even though they assured us this afternoon that we would be able to enjoy drinks in the library this evening, the bar is closed. We questioned the lone girl sitting in the office and she said, no, bar closed and didn't offer to turn on the fireplace. A disappointing ending to what was an otherwise perfect long weekend. If you come here in the off season, make sure to ask just what facilities will be open during your planned stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rustyPennsylvania
Reviewed October 14, 2011

This Inn was the perfect quiet spot to have a reception dinner for our son's wedding. Service is excellent and the decor is beautiful. Dinner was wonderful and breakfast each morning was also very very good (excellent omlets). We enjoyed being entertained by the little chipmunk on the back patio overlooking Toftrees Golf Course each morning. We came up from FL so the fall foilage was a treat to see with the crisp cool mornings. We enjoyed sitting by the fire in the evening having one of our favorite cocktails. Try the peach cosmo it is very refreshing.
We booked the inn for four days but enjoyed it so much we were able to stay two more days.
We come back to State College each year for a football game and I hope to be able to stay at the Inn again next year.

Room Tip: We had two different rooms and both were very nice and comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisNaples_Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel. I stayed in mid-June 2011 for two nights. I do a careful bed bug search each place I stay; it really is the most important issue to me. To be clear, I found *no* living bed bugs at this hotel, but I did find a single dead bed bug under the mattress pad of a room on the first floor. I asked for a room change, which they gave me, and searched even more carefully in the reassigned room on the second floor, and found nothing. Having found online bed bug reports for every other hotel in State College, I took my chances and stayed for two nights and had no further issues.

Were it not for that, I'd be giving this hotel an excellent rating. The included breakfast was absolutely delicious and it had character and comfort. I would suggest that the hotel management invest in bed bug wrappers for the mattresses to assure the problem doesn't become serious.

Room Tip: They were renovating when I stayed there in June 2011. I'd go for something in the new section...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AConferenceTraveler
hamco4, Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for visiting our Inn. We greatly appreciate your comments. The Carnegie Inn & Spa takes great pride in providing a clean and healthy environment for our guests and employees. Our efforts include staff and management pest identification and control training as well as routine inspections and preventative treatments from professionals. We will continue these practices to ensure that an infestation does not occur.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Our renovations are now completed at the property. We apologize for any inconvenience that this work may have caused. On your next visit, be sure to enjoy ESSpa Kozmetika, our new day spa and massage therapy facility.