“Probably best place to stay in State College, but has issues”
Review of Carnegie Inn & Spa

Carnegie Inn & Spa
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel. I stayed in mid-June 2011 for two nights. I do a careful bed bug search each place I stay; it really is the most important issue to me. To be clear, I found *no* living bed bugs at this hotel, but I did find a single dead bed bug under the mattress pad of a room on the first floor. I asked for a room change, which they gave me, and searched even more carefully in the reassigned room on the second floor, and found nothing. Having found online bed bug reports for every other hotel in State College, I took my chances and stayed for two nights and had no further issues.

Were it not for that, I'd be giving this hotel an excellent rating. The included breakfast was absolutely delicious and it had character and comfort. I would suggest that the hotel management invest in bed bug wrappers for the mattresses to assure the problem doesn't become serious.

Room Tip: They were renovating when I stayed there in June 2011. I'd go for something in the new section...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AConferenceTraveler
hamco4, Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you for visiting our Inn. We greatly appreciate your comments. The Carnegie Inn & Spa takes great pride in providing a clean and healthy environment for our guests and employees. Our efforts include staff and management pest identification and control training as well as routine inspections and preventative treatments from professionals. We will continue these practices to ensure that an infestation does not occur.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Our renovations are now completed at the property. We apologize for any inconvenience that this work may have caused. On your next visit, be sure to enjoy ESSpa Kozmetika, our new day spa and massage therapy facility.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I visited my niece at State College and decided to try Carnegie House based on the reviews on this website. I must say the food was delicious (appetizers with drinks at night and free breakfast omelet in the morn), however, I wasn't thrilled with my room. The furnishings were tired/worn, with stains and ink on the pink arm chair, frayed rug by couch, strange stiff bedspread and thin sheets. I had to turn/move/jiggle the batteries in the remote to work the older t.v. set from odd angles that did not work while sitting in bed. (I requested and received new batteries very quickly, but that wasn't the issue.) I really liked the bold colorful wallpapers. Fun. I guess I had high expectations for the whole experience - too bad - I wanted more polish. Staff were pleasant, but no one met us at the car to help us during the downpour. Rain galore that weekend!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ms_Steelerfan
hamco4, Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Dear Ms. Steele,

Thank you so much for visiting with us. While we are delighted you were pleased with your dining experience, we sincerely apologize for the problems with the TV remote and the conditions in your guestroom.
The local TV cable company struggles with finding a compatible remote for our property television sets. We will contact the representative to see if something can be done to improve the device for ease of operation.
Guestroom renovations and updates are constantly being performed. We will remedy your findings either by cleaning or replacement as needed. Likewise, we will check our linen inventory for items that are in need of replacement. We currently utilize Italian bed linens in all of our guestrooms for maximum comfort.
Sorry we missed assisting you at your vehicle. We attempt to help all of our guests upon arrival if possible. We will try to be more diligent in this area, especially in inclement weather.
Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience at our property. We will use your comments to improve our service. We hope you will allow us the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Sam Glasgow

Reviewed August 1, 2011

My wife and I have stayed here several times over the last ten years and have always enjoyed it. The rooms are large and elegantly appointed with a large bath area. The common areas are also elegant with lots of comfortable seating for reading. The inn also has a very good restaurant. The staff are friendly and helpful.

RGinTally

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Robert G
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The Carnegie House describes itself as a boutique Inn. The description is apt. It was built in 1988 and recently renovated. There are about 22 rooms. We met another couple to celebrate a special event. Our bedrooms were well appointed and very comfortable. The entire place was very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
We had two breakfasts and two dinners. The menu for dinner had a very good range of options. The food was very well prepared.
We ended our trip with our friends with the promise that we would return to the Carnegie House because we had had such a good time.

Room Tip: Call for a room. The website did not give as many options as were actually available.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Cleve2010
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Loved this hotel when we first arrived for a 4 day trip -- wonderful decor, great sitting rooms, beautiful building. The library is just beautiful. However, it was difficult to stay here for a longer period of time. We knew it was far away from everything, but didn't know how difficult it would be to eat here -- no lunch was served and dinner was way too expensive. The cost and arrangement of dinner along with the dining room itself felt horribly inaccessible for someone just staying at the hotel -- too fancy for a hotel guest. The temperature and atmosphere of the common rooms and dining area was cold, and we repeatedly had to search for someone to seat us and help us. Despite the construction and the obvious transition period they were in, it still would have been nice to feel treated more like a guest.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

We thank you for visiting with us and do want to apologize to you for the problems you experienced with dining during your visit. We have completed the construction and are now serving lunch Monday through Friday and we have increased the offerings of our complimentary cooked to order breakfast seven days a week.
We also apologize for the lack of personal service that you experienced and are pleased to let you know that we have increased our staffing to make sure our guests do not have to look for assistance.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experiences as this greatly helps us to continue to improve.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

We stayed at the Carnegie House and were blown away. The room was spacious and comfortable. I took a long soak in the oversized spa like bathtub and my strees melted away. Thestaff went far and beyond to make us feel welcome and well cared for. We dined on the back porch and admired the beautiful wildflowers and simple serenity this place had to offer. It also includes a fabulous made to order breakfast. If you need a break from the city or are looking for simple getaway, this is it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tbonenj
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Accompanied my husband for business. The hotel is charming with nice sized rooms and bathroom with a wonderful soaking tub, separate shower and super comfortable bed. Lovely grounds but we were most impressed with the staff. The most helpful and friendly staff I think I have ever encountered. It was a slow day at the hotel and we could not make the 9:30 cut off time for breakfast due to a meeting. It was at least an hour after the dining room closed but the chef came out and asked us what we wanted and cooked it fresh for us.
Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business