“Never going back”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Having never dined at Herwig's, I cannot comment on the quality of the food. I can, however, comment on my interactions with Herwig's staff members. I hope my experience can help you better decide whether Herwig''s is the restaurant for you.

My FIRST and LAST experience at Herwig's was when I went to purchase a gift certification for a friend who likes this restaurant. To purchase the gift certificate, I had to provide my first and last name. I gave the guy my name, and what he said next completely shocked me. He said, 'Didn't your mother just died?' Completely thrown off, I only was able to utter, 'Um....no'. Completely ignorant of the dismay and shock plastered across my face, the guy continued with, 'Oh, I just read in the newspaper about about a (insert my name last) who died'. 'Um..no..I just spoke to her on the phone a few minutes ago.' By now, most people who committed such faux pas would quickly apologize and/or exhibit a moment of embarrassment. Not this guy. In fact, he came back with the best line ever, 'Oh, really?'

As much as I wanted to leave there empty handed, I knew how much my friend and her husband like the food. I regretfully purchased the certification. Still absorbing the shock of this guy's careless words, I was unable to give this guy my spiel on why asking strangers whether their family member(s) just had passed is a bad idea. Note to Herwig's, try something neutral, like the weather, when making small talks.

6  Thank reefus00

Reviewed May 25, 2010

I went here one time and the owners were so rude that I have never gone back. Food was good but doesn't make up for the attitude I got and all I did was ask to substitute one food for another.

4  Thank WOLF69
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were entertaining a department head from Penn State and wanted to make sure that there would be no issue in enjoying our meal. Had two questions can you bring beer (yes) and can we researve a table (No - but share the beer and we will make room). Very pleasant on the phone. We arrived, saw a "researved sign" on the table with the appropriate number of chairs, they owner was not there but, the son was. We sat down since our guest had not arrived, and after 5 minutes the son started screaming (yes screaming at us) that we were cutting the line. We told him we had called, reserved the table, and were waiting for our guest. In a louder voice he called me a liar, no one had called him for a reservation. Bottom line - I go to resturant to relax not be scolleded like a child. The father has some charm his son is just a JA. Sorry to the family but fire your son or get him counseling. They not only lost a party of 6 that night but, a huge potential for others, I know the Doctor will never go back and will never recommend them to any of his staff or peers at PSU. What a shame.

7  Thank LTCChris
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We stopped here for lunch and really enjoyed it! The owners are right behind the counter with helpful suggestions and a big sense of humor. (We heard yodeling as we approached!) The selection was great from the big blackboard on the wall. Everything we got was very flavorful, and the portions were very generous. The authentic Austrian side dishes really added to the meal. The doors were open to the street scene of State College, which made it fun.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

Have you ever been intimidated by the cook, teased by the owner and hit with a stick by the staff and force-fed sauerkraut because it’s heart-healthy? Bet not, unless you’ve been here. The first time I went to this family-owned/ cooked/ operated/ staffed place, the son came to me and said (in the most evil way) ‘smile, so people outside think you’re liking it here’… what took me back the second time? ---well the food to start with and the best customer service! Force-feeding I tell you…feels like being at home. as scary as it is, when you can’t pronounce half the menu, they add to it but not taking your order unless you do it the right way. So I start ‘reisen’ and then move to “that rice and pork thing” and the eyes start rolling…
They have this rule that if you don’t finish your food
i) you will be beaten with a red stick (big one), or
ii) you can be given a take out box for $32, or
iii) Charged double if you ask for a half portion.
For someone like me who eats dessert first, I have fallen in trouble more than once and my experiences have included being fed (literally by the spoonfuls) by the owner… he said I could forego the beating for not finishing sauerkraut if I took the spoonful from him. If that doesn’t feel like family, tell me what does? ...Well, sitting at their big family table might! If you come with a big group of family or friends or are a regular, visiting alone (for me alone means 2 in this town), you are entitled to that. To top it all, the food is so super good you want to try everything—the dense chocolate cake, the sausages, the potato salad, the veal, the ranch dressing and the pork. Just writing gets me drooling.

Note: No lunch beyond 2pm (I think)
Sundays closed.