“BE aware”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I went here one time and the owners were so rude that I have never gone back. Food was good but doesn't make up for the attitude I got and all I did was ask to substitute one food for another.

4  Thank WOLF69
There are newer reviews for Herwig's Austrian Bistro

Reviewed May 25, 2010

We were entertaining a department head from Penn State and wanted to make sure that there would be no issue in enjoying our meal. Had two questions can you bring beer (yes) and can we researve a table (No - but share the beer and we will make room). Very pleasant on the phone. We arrived, saw a "researved sign" on the table with the appropriate number of chairs, they owner was not there but, the son was. We sat down since our guest had not arrived, and after 5 minutes the son started screaming (yes screaming at us) that we were cutting the line. We told him we had called, reserved the table, and were waiting for our guest. In a louder voice he called me a liar, no one had called him for a reservation. Bottom line - I go to resturant to relax not be scolleded like a child. The father has some charm his son is just a JA. Sorry to the family but fire your son or get him counseling. They not only lost a party of 6 that night but, a huge potential for others, I know the Doctor will never go back and will never recommend them to any of his staff or peers at PSU. What a shame.

7  Thank LTCChris
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We stopped here for lunch and really enjoyed it! The owners are right behind the counter with helpful suggestions and a big sense of humor. (We heard yodeling as we approached!) The selection was great from the big blackboard on the wall. Everything we got was very flavorful, and the portions were very generous. The authentic Austrian side dishes really added to the meal. The doors were open to the street scene of State College, which made it fun.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

Have you ever been intimidated by the cook, teased by the owner and hit with a stick by the staff and force-fed sauerkraut because it’s heart-healthy? Bet not, unless you’ve been here. The first time I went to this family-owned/ cooked/ operated/ staffed place, the son came to me and said (in the most evil way) ‘smile, so people outside think you’re liking it here’… what took me back the second time? ---well the food to start with and the best customer service! Force-feeding I tell you…feels like being at home. as scary as it is, when you can’t pronounce half the menu, they add to it but not taking your order unless you do it the right way. So I start ‘reisen’ and then move to “that rice and pork thing” and the eyes start rolling…
They have this rule that if you don’t finish your food
i) you will be beaten with a red stick (big one), or
ii) you can be given a take out box for $32, or
iii) Charged double if you ask for a half portion.
For someone like me who eats dessert first, I have fallen in trouble more than once and my experiences have included being fed (literally by the spoonfuls) by the owner… he said I could forego the beating for not finishing sauerkraut if I took the spoonful from him. If that doesn’t feel like family, tell me what does? ...Well, sitting at their big family table might! If you come with a big group of family or friends or are a regular, visiting alone (for me alone means 2 in this town), you are entitled to that. To top it all, the food is so super good you want to try everything—the dense chocolate cake, the sausages, the potato salad, the veal, the ranch dressing and the pork. Just writing gets me drooling.

Note: No lunch beyond 2pm (I think)
Sundays closed.

Reviewed January 2, 2010

If you love German/ Austrian dishes, you really can't beat this place. It's sooo gooood. Some dishes can get pricey, but over-all, worth it. The potato salad is very good. My wife and I love this place when the kiddos are out of town. And the owners are rude in a friendly way (you know it's obviously part of the "act"), but they sometimes push it too far. Not a place for the up-tight.