“Delectable Food Accompanied by Quirky Service”

Herwig's Austrian Bistro
Ranked #30 of 244 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Delectable Food Accompanied by Quirky Service”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

Was in State College for a holiday and found Herwig's through Yelp. Reviews seemed good so I decided to bring my family there for dinner. Was not too hard to find, its situated West of College Avenue, directly opposite the campus.

Ordering is definitely a challenge as you'll be twisting and turning your tongues just to pronounce the names of the food. I cheated and simply pointed my choice on the board. The man who took our order was previously cooking in the kitchen, then proceeded to clear a table for us after taking our order, then went back to the kitchen to prepare more meals. To simply put it, theres a total of 4 service staff there and all of them are multifunctional which is very pleasing to see because of their perfectly smooth workflow.

Food arrived efficiently and was served by the absolutely quirky owner (i presume) who then proceed to disturb other tables surrounding us (mine included). He also took the time to explain each and every dessert item available in the display counter.

Overall, one of the best meals my family and I had. Not just because of the food, but definitely the service as well.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank QingYC

Kalispell, Montana
“excellent food and atmosphere”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

Located right on the main drag, this restaurant serves authentic food in a family-friendly setting where you sit at tables with folks you may or may not know. It's BYOB, and you're allowed to give a beer to the man behind the counter. Definitely the best food I have ever had in State College. Great place for solo travellers, as you won't feel like you're dining all alone.

• Visited July 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“This place took me back to my summer in Salzburg, Austria!”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Wow! Did the memories come flooding in when my daughter surprised me with a visit here.

I spent a summer in Salzburg, Austria when in college and this place took me right back there! The food was phenomenal and it tasted just like I remembered. I had the pork and it was just perfect, falling off your fork it was so tender! The potato salad had just the right bite to it and was something I thoroughly savored.

And the service was good! The fun they had with everyone was something that few restaurants bring to their customers. And, more should do it.

Even the atmosphere brought back memories.

Can't wait to go back and visit the next time I visit my daughter!

• Visited January 2014
State College, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Austrian Deliciousness”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This quaint restaurant just across the street from Penn State University is a rare find for central Pennsylvania! Herwig's is a family owned/run restaurant that has been in town for many years and has a loyal client base. Be sure to try the Taggesmenu, which is the Daily Menu. The home-made salad dressing has a delicious dill flavor and the main entree is a wonderful pan-seared hash. The dessert is included when you get the Taggesmenu and is a delicate and light pastry that is to die for. The only warning is to be sure to finish everything on your plate so that you don't incur the wrath of the owner, who sometimes walks around with a large wooden paddle, ready to punish those who leave food on the plate! (He's really a very sweet guy who loves to joke around with his customers)!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Tami1963
Philadelphia, PA
“State College's Best Kept Secret???”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

As someone of German descent, you say "wiener schnitzel" to me and I go all to pieces! I was practically raised on this stuff, so to find Herwig's in State College, well I was uber-excited! This place is BYOB and not a fancy place by any stretch of the imagination, but the food is WUNDERBAR!!!! Upon entering, there's a huge chalkboard with that day's offerings and there's lots to choose from!! My son and I had the Wiener Schnitzel, while my hubs had the Bavarian Chicken. Each platter comes with German potato salad and a green salad with Herwig's homemade "Blue Horse" dressing! Out of this world and you can purchase it outright! If you want other sides, such as kraut or dumplings, those are extra. You get a lot of food - delicious cooked to order food and it will make you want to come back again and again!! While we were too stuffed for dessert, they had a huge sampling of items to choose from and if I could have fit it in, I would have!! There's not a lot of seating - in fact it was that and the food that immediately transported me back to my Grandmother's kitchen as a kid.

If you're in State College and you want some nicely priced, delicious tasting comfort food, please go to Herwig's.....where, as they say, "bacon is an herb!"

• Visited August 2014