“Herwig's was disappointing”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner at Herwig's this past weekend.
It's always an adventure to find out their hours. The last time we tried to go there they told us the wrong closing time when we called by phone. When we arrived, they would not let us in. We called again this weekend, and SURPRISE, they gave us the wrong closing time. We happened to walk by two hours before we were going to dine, and we walked in to inquire about the hours. They were rude as they told us the "correct" time.
So we went anyway. I had to convince my wife to go, because I really wanted wiener schnitzel.
The venue is nice and the sliding doors were open to the fresh air and busy sidewalk.
We ordered at the counter and all went well with that process.
We sat at a table by the sidewalk and opened out bottle if wine. Herwig's is BYOB.
The server brought out our food to our table. My Wiener schnitzel was good. It came with potato salad and cole slaw. My wife did not like her meal. She ordered the meat special. It had sausage, other meats in a thin gravy and sour kraut. It didn't look appetizing....
Herwig's seems to be consistent on the way they treat customers. I was disappointed this weekend. I was really looking forward to having a good meal and dining experience at Herwig's.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is such a great choice if you like this type of food. Our family hadn't eaten here in some time... and since the students were gone for the summer, we took advantage and stopped in a couple times this summer. Sure, not everything on the menu is always available... but you should know that going in. Seems to us that they have toned down their "humor" just a little (or maybe we got lucky)... which was our ONLY complaint with this place.
Food was excellently prepared, as it has always been. Both times we've been here, it's been sorta busy and our wait time to be served was typical... maybe even on the faster side. My only negative is that i'd like to be able to get a take-out box without being chastised. It's just annoying.There's easily two meals out of a dinner.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

What a let-down. The restaurant serves only a subset each day of the items on the website menu. It is not a full service restaurant, but the food delivery was slow and not all diners were served at the same time. The main courses were tasty, but the cashier forgot to pass on our dessert order and, when we finally reminded a server, the Sacher torte was dry and tasteless. I know this is a college town restaurant, but they can step it up a few notches.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were introduced to Herwig's by our niece when she was a student and it was located in a hole in the wall on an alley 10 years ago. Now they occupy a much larger space on the main drag, so they must be doing things right. I had the a special, Grendiermarsch, a combination of meats, potatos and pasta fried together. My wife had the grilled marinated chicken which was both tasty and prepared so it was not dried out. Both meals were quite enjoyable and there was no worry that the "Big Stick" would be brought out. I enjoyed the new location as it is much roomier than the old one and the front opens completely so you feel like you are eating "al fresco" while you are still inside. As they source their ingredients locally, the menu is not fixed. What they have today, might not be available tomorrow. If you are absolutely set on a particular dish, you should call first to see if it is available. After 5PM BYOB is allowed with no corkage fee and they will provide the glassware. Hope to get back here in less than 10 years.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We love Austria, but this Austrian restaurant left a lot to be desired, especially in its disdain for its patrons. The food was nothing special.

1  Thank Joseph-Jane G