“Just Okay”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I had dinner at Herwig's while on a business trip to State College. It was fine-and by fine I mean acceptable. Everything was just okay-except for the atmosphere which was sterile and cafeteria-like. It's a cute downtown-you should be able to do better than this.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Well, I have been to Austria many times (good skiing!), and I can attest to the authenticity and quality of the food at Herwig's.

That said, Austrians in general aren't rude, and they're not bad businessmen. Herwig's, well, could improve. While I love Viennese sarcasm, my latest experience was poor. Came in with a crowd of 5-7 work mates for lunch. The restaurant was empty (it's summer), and at Herwig's, we would order and pay right away at the register. We were informed that we'd have to find a single person to pay for it all - they would not take individual orders. We didn't even need printed checks, and even two groups of three or so wouldn't be OK. Given that two of us didn't have cash, and this wasn't going to be a work lunch group-meal type of thing, we decided to take our business elsewhere. Downtown State College has enough to offer.

Who in their right mind will send a group of paying customers away when they're clearly not busy?

It's rude, it's bad strategy, it's bad business. Wake up, guys.

2  Thank David R
Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I have eaten here numerous times over the years and we LOVE the food! It's also nice being able to bring in your own beer to enjoy with it.

Our favorites are the dill salad, Kaslaberl and Kaesespaetzle (tiny egg/flour dumplings sauteed with rich European cheeses and caramelized onions).

And yes...if you're not familiar with the staff and their sense of humor, it might come off as rude...so if you have someone in your party that's touchy about being politely picked on if they're new to reading the chalk board, pronouncing as best you can their German dishes...you might want to pass, however they are missing a great meal and experience.

I say please give it a try, and more than once if you can!

1  Thank JoshuaBrock
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The food is not bad but the staff is so rude! I really cannot imagine how they treat people. I mean there's a limit for everything specially when you're trying to be funny and you're not. Absolutely terrible, I'm here for at least four more years and guess what? I'm not visiting this place again. and yeah it's never a good idea to visit herwig's with your family!

2  Thank mn94
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We really enjoy going to Herwigs because the food is always fresh and delicious. We've tried so many thing on the menu and they are always tasty, plus very filling. What makes it even better is that it's BYOB! Family owned and run- what a nice family!