“Staff Needs More Training”

Otto's Pub and Brewery
Ranked #4 of 249 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Description: We're nuts about fine beer and fresh, local food. Otto's is fiercely committed to quality. Our beer is handcrafted with the finest ingredients available. Our American bistro cuisine is made with fresh ingredients from local farms, wineries, and bakeries. Our brewery and restaurant are co-located and feature a family-friendly and casual atmosphere. We're located in State College, PA, minutes from Penn State.
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We visited this restaurant last Saturday. The food was excellent. We had nine people in our group (five adults and four children). We ordered several appetizers and the runner brought the appetizers to the kids table. We never received the one appetizer until after food arrived. My friend never received her salad and the waitress did not return enough to refill drinks. Overall a great experience but the servers and runners need better communication so that they know who is doing what.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Otto's has a solid beer selection. I would easily return for just the beer, but the food is quite good as well. It's also a great spot for shooting the breeze and just hanging out with the locals. Good service, clean, and good eats and drinks.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I'd return for the beer, but pass on the food. In fact, I used to think his place was overrated, now I just think the it is bad
The food is boring, cooked poorly, and just not that good for the price. We had a salad with boiled chicken, rotten-tasting avocado, and fat (rather than bacon) which was worse than a MacDonald's salad. The burgers are bland and the fries were burnt. The Fondu appetizer sucked and my kid would not touch her normally favorite dish. On top of that the service was not great.
If you want good food and drink go to the Ale House.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

They have a large selection of the own brews and a few local brews to choose from. The beer cheese is excellent, you can have it as a cheese spread or like a warm fondue. Either is great. The Nachos are huge and fixed the way you like them. It is a busy place and expect to wait for a table. If by yourself sit at the bar if you can find a sttol available.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting State College and decided to give Ottto's a try. The place is obviously very popular and is very noisy. The main attraction seems to be their beer brewed on site which I didn't try. I did have a hard cider that was described as semi sweet but was very dry and not all that tasty to me. The menu has a decent roster of choices from wood oven baked pizza to burgers and sandwiches to some entree offerings. The smoked wings were good starter though the sauces we tried (hot and sesame garlic) were just okay. My son loved his cheese pizza until he got to the long hair baked into the next to last piece - yuck. I had a cheese steak that had way to much bread to steak - I ripped off at least a third of the bun and the steak was still lost in the huge hunk of roll. The bun to meat ratio is so important for a good sandwich, so I wouldn't recommend this one. We also tried the Mac and cheese which was okay, but could have used some salt.They did remove the pizza from our bill and wanted to see the hair to try to figure out who in the kitchen needs a better hairnet. Overall, Otto's would be low on my list of places I'd like to visit again, but State College residents don't seem to agree. Perhaps if I drink enough beer next time, the food will improve.