“Eat here while visiting Penn State”

Zola Kitchen and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Zola Kitchen and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 240 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Zola Kitchen & Wine Bar provides ingredient driven, seasonal, new American cuisine, with exceptional service, and an outstanding selection of wine and spirits. Located in downtown State College, Zola has an elegant yet relaxed atmosphere that enhances the fine dining experience. Chef Andrew Hufnagel uses modern culinary techniques, locally sourced foods, and global inspiration to develop a menu that will challenge and delight your mouth. Our wine bar and state of the art wine room provide an extensive selection of wine by the bottle, as well as premium by the glass selections from our Wine Keeper preservation system. Our Sommelier is available to help you make your selection or answer any questions about our wines. The bar will feature live music on Friday and Saturday night as well as an extensive selection of craft beer, brown liquors, and specialty cocktails for relaxed post dining entertainment.
Austin, Texas
“Eat here while visiting Penn State”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2010

I had a fabulous dinner here while visiting Penn State. Cocktails are good and strong and the meal was fantastic. I was told it was the best restaurant in State College and has a New York type atmosphere. I really enjoyed it.

Huntingdon, PA
“give Zola's a break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

My husband and I have frequented this restaurant for five years and we travel 35 minutes to get there. Our last visit was just last night and we were once again astounded by the upscale presentation this restaurant has to offer. The unlimited crusty parmesan french bread and crusty olive loaf bread are the perfect introduction. My motto is: "bad bread makes for a bad meal". Zola's serves the best bread around. I'm not sure why the bad reviews. The servers are attentive, the atmosphere is exciting and bustling. Okay, so it is pricey....but for someone like myself, who at home cooks up a Mediterranean storm, am so happy that State College provides an option of dining which I just could not make in my kitchen. I just do not want to go out to eat and come to the conclusion that I could have made that at home for a quarter of the price. The whole point of Zola's is that I appreciate the menu...and it is worth every penny. And as for the small portions, well I don't know my husband and I did not have room for dessert. So if you are one of those bottomless buffet hogs, I agree, stay away from Zola's. But if you are a person looking for something out of the ordinary, like the 18 dollar out of this world chicken stuffed with sausage and parmesan on a bed of polenta, then you will feel like you finally came home to Zola's. And yes the whole flash fried fish I ordered for 37.00 is very pricey but I enjoyed every morsel because this is a dish I could not replicate in my home. We splurged with an outstanding 50 dollar bottle of chardonnay and toasted to special moments...hard to come by and not to be taken for granted.

1 Thank momlala
State College, PA
“The best of S.C. Really?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

Over priced for what you're getting. The food is just o.k. I don't get this place. Over pay for something i can get at the corner of Allen Street for half the price (and get better service too). "Over - Rated".

1 Thank Gray52
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“highly overrated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

highly overrated

4 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Pennsylvania
“Above average for State College”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

Two points of view.

1. If you're from central PA, Zola's is the most unique food in town, with little competition. Further, it is one of few restaurants in town that does not consistently feel like a bar. However, if you're from State College, the menu is pricier than you're used to.

2. If you're from a larger town (NYC, Boston, DC...) the food will be no more unique than the average 'reservations-only' eateries in your town. However, Zola's is priced the same to less than those eateries.

I like it, but I would say go for lunch rather than dinner because of pricing.