“This place offers more than a buffet”
Review of Kaarma

Kaarma
Ranked #96 of 245 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: Chinese, Indian
Reviewed May 19, 2013

While the buffet offering is a good deal, we went here for dinner one night and were surprised to see a wide variety of offerings.

The mulligatawny soup is a good place to begin. It's flavourful, has a velvety texture, and costs less than $3. It's a good option as you wait for the rest of your meal.

I went with the tikka masala as an entree...it's typically my standard go-to dish. The sauce was richer than I've tasted elsewhere. I ended up eating the remains with just a spoon!

The portions are very big for the prices you pay. An example of this is that you can get a good-sized order of naan bread for under $2.

Though I look forward to trying the buffet, this place offers a good menu on its own.

It seems like people might opt for take-out, which makes sense given the interior is simply decorated.

There are newer reviews for Kaarma

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Lunch buffet is a good value, with a nice selection. The food is spiced fairly mild, but flavorful, so this is good "starter Indian cuisine" for your friends who may not be adventurous. Service is pleasant.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have friends who prefer Kaarma to India Pavilion; I will not be joining that group. We picked up a take-out order since the perceived ambience (looking through the window) is less than inviting. I had to order biryani since it is my go to comfort food. I asked that it be no hotter than medium as I like spicy food, but do not want the heat of a dish to overpower the more subtle flavors. The biryani had no heat at all nor subtle flavor; it was pretty bland. My husband ordered a fish dish which he thought was fine. I thought the sauce tasted like bottled sweet and sour sauce. The worst of it was the naan. (We'd actually ordered roti.) I can make a meal out of soft, delectable naan, but I had a hard time eating one quarter of a piece of this. It was as hard and stale as if it had been sitting out unwrapped on the counter all night; I don't know of we would have gotten fresher bread had it not been for take out. I couldn't help wondering if the cook decided to unload the old bread knowing that we wouldn't be around to complain.

Perhaps I should give Kaarma another chance, but why would I risk it, knowing that I am pretty much guaranteed a wonderful meal (and service) at India Pavillion?

1  Thank msmitchell
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I had dinner here Feb. 18, 2013. Even though I was the first diner of the day for the five o'clock dinner serving, the waiting time for my order was short. Service was great. The food was excellent. I was asked if I wanted it mild, medium of hot. I went medium and was not disappointed. I had the lamb in spinach sauce (succulent), chicken stuffed naan bread (crisp and tasty), basmati rice (fragrant) and Indian style hot tea (refreshing). I had a refill on the tea with no extra charge. Portions were ample; I was unable to eat all I was brought though I tried. It came to eighteen dollars excluding tip. I would have enjoyed the Bollywood music the staff were listening to when I came in but they changed to some muzak-style dining music which wasn't too bad. I liked the way the owner passed the smoke from a joss stick over the money in the till at the start of the shift. I think that is an example of puja. I look forward to eating here again.

1  Thank Louis Mark L
Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I had lunch there today and everything was delicious. Several different chicken and vegetable dishes. Friendly, efficient service.