“Just o.k.”

American Ale House and Grill
Ranked #17 of 242 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bloomsburg
“Just o.k.”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

We have been going to the Ale House now and then for years. Recently we stopped in for a late lunch and a few drinks before a PSU home football game. We sat in the bar area; the place was NOT packed. Our server seemed a bit confused .............. she had to keep coming back to reconfirm our selections, didn't know if they had this or that, said she would find out about a particular ingredient .......... and then didn't, etc. She was nice and polite, so perhaps she was new or just having a bad day. That said, I had the baked potato soup which was excellent and the blackened salmon burger; both were good. My husband had the "Acapulco salad" which he said was o.k. The Ale house has an interesting to excellent menu that is very diverse and the bar menu is great, especially if you like seafood (shrimp, mussels, "pan roast", jumbalaya, Bouillabaisse, cioppino, etc.). However, the service has been sliding the past few years and it is well noted here on TA. Perhaps they do not pay their staff well or they are understaffed. Or, possibly, the waitstaff is used to being under-tipped in the bar area, especially during home football weekends when many people have had quite a bit to drink. I have only eaten in the main restaurant twice in the past two years (and on a non "game day") and the service was much better. Ale House, you have such potential; lets elevate the service a bit at the bar! I am still recommending them based on the food which is usually good, especially in the main restaurant.

Newburgh, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I must have gone to the wrong place”
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I was very excited to try the Ale House after reading all the great reviews. I was very disapointed. Our server was awful, she brought us the wrong thing 3 times, my date's burger was way undercooked, my salad was very bland and they were out of the soup of the day. When she brought us the wrong dessert, all she said was ooppss..I just thought this sounded so much yummier! Enjoy! WHAT??? The beer selection was good, I can say that, but that is the only good thing. I will not return.

1 Thank moonbeams23
Warminster
“Great beer...awesome bison burger!”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

If you want to get away from the college scene check this place out. They have a great beer selection beyond the normal Miller Lite, Bud, etc. I've been there twice...both times I'm had the Bison Burger...it's absolutely awesome!

Boston, Massachusetts
“We finally found great food in State College.”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This was a nice evening dinner visit with our PSU undergrad. We have been traveling to State College for three years now and just discovered this little gem. I had a scrumptious shrimp in a basil cream sauce with Fettuccine. The lobster on the salad looked amazing. The soups with rice in the middle looked great. There were delicious yellow pear tomatoes in my salad. We were all thrilled with dinner and look forward to going back.

New York City, New York
“Thank You...A Great Night. American Ale and Penn State”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

What a great night we all had. A terrific birthday celebration too. Everyone I spoke to on the phone was fantastic. Jessica was an unbelievable server, always a smile and never a ruffled feather. Trying to get 12 people, then 17 people a place to eat the day of Parent's Visiting Weekend at Penn State...yeah right. Well yes, they did it. A great night, table, food service and yes, music. What a pianist. Thank you everyone!