“Great time with my family”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Jalisco - CLOSED

El Jalisco
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
SOUTH PASADENA
“Great time with my family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had reservations for a group of 15. We arrived right on time but nothing was ready for us until about 10-15 minutes later. This was at 2 PM and the restaurant was not busy from what I could see. Once we were seated one young man took our drink order from one end of the long table, shouting across the table. Not good service at all. Finally after orders had been taken, two other servers came to help serve our table. They were great and very efficient. I only ordered a cheese quesadilla but it arrived barely warm. Since I was a guest of the family, I did not complain. My granddaughter loves this place but I was disappointed in the service and the fact that my cheese quesadilla arrived nearly cold. Nice décor though.

• Visited May 2014

United States
“poor food quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to try this place despite the poor reviews we found on yelp.com and unfortunately those reviews were accurate. The restaurant advertises itself as "authentic" Mexican, but is far from it. My husband went to Mexico and the food was a vague representation of what you'd get there. I've never been to Mexico, but have had really good Mexican food in other restaurants in the U.S. I ordered the tamales and my husband had a combo plate. Neither of us liked our meals (and he eats anything!!) When we politely told our waiter what we honestly felt about the food, his reply was "plenty of people come here and like it", rather than I'm sorry you didn't like it, would you like to try something else. Another server asked us if we liked the food and we told him honestly no, and explained why. For example the cheese on top was very poor quality. It tasted like American processed cheese melted on top. (Gross!) Again, rather than trying to make the customers happy, he argued with us by saying plenty of people like it and it was the first he heard about not liking the cheese. I find this hard to believe after seeing all the negative reviews. I was disappointed that the staff made no attempt to try and make their customers happy! Your think for a new establishment especially, that they'd be trying to make them happy. If I were manager there if give the customers 10% off their check, or over them a different dish...anything but trying to defend the place. Ok I am ranting now! I don't recommend this place.

Visited February 2014
State College, Pennsylvania
“Nice Place - Good Time - Good Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had Dinner on 01/09/14. They had about 8 other tables going. Our bill cam e to $24.91 for two well fed, hungry people with one desert. The service was attentive, friendly, knowledgeable and efficient.
The food was typical Mex which is what we were hungry for. I had the Steak Ranchero (smaller T-Bone) for $12.99.
It was flavored as I have never had before and good. Also served with beans, rice, guac, chips, sour cream and chips with salsa. The steak came sizzling and juicy on it's own supper hot plate which kept my meat hot for the entire leisurely meal. Plenty adequate quantity of food. the decor is like nothing I've ever seen before. Chairs and tables were all uniquely carved in Mexico. All were very interesting. No liquor license as Pennsylvania is living in the Stone Age when it comes to dining commerce and customer enthusiasm. I don't know how most of the restaurants in town make a profit under the current BYOB policy inflicted by the bureaucrats in our PA government. Definitely worth a try.

• Visited January 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“Typical Mexican Menu”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Nothing here to really excite you except the decor, which is colorful and interesting. Menu is typical Mexican food with nothing unusual. Be aware they do NOT serve alcohol drinks. Not even beer.

• Visited November 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Should put as much energy into the food as they do the decor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I wandered in by accident, and it was a mistake. The decor is more gauche than gaucho: utterly tacky images of 'ol Mexico in bright pastel colors (toreadors, swirling senoritas, big hats, et. al.) adorn every surface including the tabletops and dividers between the booths. But nothing prepares you for the food. First, salsa & chips, but the salsa had not even a hint of spice. Then, I had taquitos which featured oil-drenched tortillas tightly curled around beef or chicken which had, literally, been burned to a crisp. And for lack of a liquor license, not even a beer to wash it all down. A memorably awful meal.

• Visited October 2013