“We will not return”
Review of Dickey's BBQ Pit - CLOSED

Dickey's BBQ Pit
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My family decided to try Dickeys since it was fairly new and we all really like BBQ. I was very surprised at how small the seating area was. We actually had to wait for a table to open up before we could sit down and eat. Secondly, it was very dirty. There were tables that were not cleaned off and many places my shoes stuck to the floor. There was a puddle of sweet tea on the floor that had dripped from the dispenser in the drink area that had been walked through and tracked back toward the kitchen. I also noticed while we were at the counter ordering that the floor in the food prep area was quite dirty too. I think if our food hadn't already been just about ready, I would have left.

As far as the food, I had the 2 meat platter and my food was lukewarm at best. One of the sides I did enjoy was their green beans. My husband had a sandwich and it was barely warm also. Their sweet tea was tasty too, but all in all...we won't be back.

2  Thank Becky M

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Don't come here expecting a big eat-in restaurant, as it has only a few tables and you step up to the counter to order the food. It's kind of in a hidden location in a newer strip mall near the end. That said, the food is very tasty authentic Texas barbeque. My husband and I split the pulled pork, and it was so tender and delicious, just melted in your mouth. We tried all the sauces that you can put on yourself. The drinks are large and refillable. (No alcohol here, though, just sweet tea and sodas, etc.) The sides were very good, too, and the bonus is a free soft ice cream cone. The owner was very nice and accommodating, explaining the menu options since this was our first visit. I would definitely come back here for some good BBQ!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband has traveled all over this country & many others so has had 'the real thing' for many types of cuisine, loves food & is a self taught chef (he can often recreate a dish he's had at a restaurant the same way a person who loves music can play a piece by ear), and doesn't want to bother eating anywhere that appears to be 'not the real thing'. We are new to the central PA area & were searching for a place to eat. As yet, we hadn't seen any bbq places that he felt were worth trying. We had never heard of this chain before but after reading the menu & reviews for Dickey's it seemed this might be 'the real thing' so decided to give it a try. When we walked in we were surprised to discover it is a fast food joint, not a sit down restaurant. Nothing on their website or menu indicated this. Our first disappointment but unfortunately not our last. The staff was very friendly & helpful. One gentleman, after finding out we hadn't been there before, came out from behind the counter to explain the whole menu to us (a little more than we needed but he was just trying to be helpful). He told us there were a couple meats they were out of because they slow cook everything on sight (no premade, frozen, microwaved stuff) which is good, of course, but it also means they may not have what you want. Also, since it's fast food it means the meat has been cooked earlier & kept in a warmer. I personally don't like bbq sauce itself so I chose brisket for my meat because it is not cooked in bbq sauce. However, unbeknownst to us, after putting the meat on the plate they ladle bbq sauce over it, no matter which meat it is, without asking if you want it. Their explanation was, 'the franchise says we have to'. So I was stuck with it. When we started eating the meat was barely lukewarm even though it was only a couple minutes from the time we placed our order until we started eating & it had appeared to be steaming when they took it out of the warmer. The flavor of the meat was good, however the portion size was small to begin with & 50% of my brisket was fat. The side dish portions were also on the small side. My meal cost just under $10 and I walked outta there still hungry. I could have gone to any other fast food place & gotten double the amount of food for the money. For my sides I had mac & cheese and waffle fries, my husband had jalepeno baked beans and can't remember what was his 2nd one. They were all 'just ok', definitely not homemade. Their menu says 'free ice cream'. They have a low quality soft serve, vanilla only. And, as with most things businesses advertise as 'free' to try to entice potential customers, it's not really free, they just incorporate the cost into the price of whatever else you buy rather than charging you separately for it. This place was no different. Overall, they have some good things going for them but sadly it was disappointing.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Found this gem while travelling through the area. Wanted BBQ, searched online, plugged it into the GPS, hard to find without it. Good selection, great food, great value, would definitely go again.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

After years of having to suffer through what passes for BBQ in the Northeast... and having to settle for inferior Carolina style BBQ a couple times a year... finally, a real Texas style BBQ joint. The meats are smoked to perfection and the sauces are just awesome. I guarantee, if you like real Texas BBQ, this is your place. They have a wide variety of sides for any taste... the kids LOVE the Mac & Cheese. Portion sizes are on the big side for the price, so there's definitely a good value here. The sweet tea is delicious... and kids love the free ice cream (who doesn't?). KIDS EAT FREE ON SUNDAYS!

I do have two negatives about this place. One... the place is SMALL. It seems to be designed for take-out. Really, only three tables to sit and eat as a family. The layout of the place is odd and allows for limited seating. Also... We've visited 4 times so far and the wait time can be a little challenging. Maybe it's because they just opened and are still getting things down.