“Great Food and Service”

Spats Cafe & Speakeasy
Reserve with OpenTable
Spats Cafe & Speakeasy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 242 Restaurants in State College
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pugh Street
Transit: Frequent local bus service with stop 1/4 block away
“Great Food and Service”
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner at Spats Cafe & Speakeasy to celebrate our son's graduate school graduation. We really wanted it to be a special dinner for our celebration. We love New Orleans style food, but weren't sure about authentic style food in State College, PA. I have to say our food was excellent. We had appetizers, entrees, dessert, and cocktails. All were delicious. The atmosphere was very nice. We really did not want a college pub atmosphere, so we were pleased that this was a fun but not pub-like atmosphere. Our server was really exceptional. Despite being quite busy, she was very attentive and took special care to meet my gluten free needs. She communicated my needs to the chef to ensure my entree and appetizer were modified. Finally, I would recommend the creme brûlée. It was so delicious that everyone wanted some of my dessert.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Mandywayman

Pleasant gap
“A LITLE CAJUN IN STATE COLLEGE!”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We have dined at Spat's several times having very good service and great food each time. The location is easy to get to with ample on street or garage parking within walking distance. I really like the Cajun cooking style and flavors and they capture it very well here. There are several menu selections which are not spicy if you so wish, they will also honor any request to tone the dish down if you desire. Sometimes if there is a large group in the dining area the noise can get a little loud.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Steve459
Savannah, Georgia
“Easy Speak of the Speakeasy!!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Traveling in State College for the first time. Read the recommendations and headed to Spats for some Cajun cooking. The Hot Pepper pasta with crab was fabulous, the crepes bananas foster fabulous and the barman who served me, Mike, was a sweetheart. Make a point of visiting Spats if you're in the area you will not regret it. I'll be going there again if I ever get to State College PA again.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sabine O
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic service and delicious food”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We were in State College for Arts Fest on a Saturday and needed to find a place for dinner. Knowing that most restaurants would be jam packed, we went on Open Table to find a restaurant that accepted reservations. Spats was one of the few offered so we took a chance and made a reservation. So glad we did! I had sweet potato encrusted catfish and it was one of the best fish dishes I've ever had. My husband had short ribs which were equally tasty. Our 7'year old enjoyed the mahi mahi off of the children's menu and our 10 year old had pork sliders also off the children's menu They both loved their meals. Our waitress was excellent and attentive. Would highly recommend and definitely return!

• Visited July 2014
New Orleans
“Bumpy start, but a genuinely delicious meal”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I was travelling alone and was seated in a charming booth with a view of the sidewalk. The server was personable and told me she had spent time in New Orleans where I was visiting from. I ordered a Manhattan asked the server to find out where the restaurant got its oysters from and was forgotten. I peeked out the side of the booth to catch someone's attention and another server came by. I asked her to look into my drink order, and explained that I needed to leave for the theater in an hour. After that everything went smoothly. Flawlessly, really. My drink came, the new server assured me my order was in and it arrived promptly. I ordered the duck breast in a port reduction sauce and it was wonderful. I make a similar dish at home, but their sauce beat mine by a mile. The cheese grits were addictive and the asparagus was perfectly cooked. I ate every bite. My drink and glass of wine were taken off the bill which was not something I'd asked for. It was, however, appreciated. Since I live in New Orleans, I wasn't going to try their Cajun/Creole dishes, but given how well they managed the duck, I'm sure those would be tasty as well. Note to web site: No one I've met in the 27 years I've lived there has pronounced the city "New Oy-uns." “N'Awlins” is largely a tourist affectation. Our mayor pronounces it New OR-lee-uhnz and most locals pronounce it "new OR-linz." I did very much enjoy the meal. Thanks for turning my frown upside down.

Visited July 2014