“Pizza Pepperoni!”

Ranked #38 of 248 Restaurants in State College
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Ordered my second peperoni pizza from Champs... by far the best... Wegmans in second.
Mounds of pepperoni... browned to perfection.
Crust was perfect.
Taste jumped from the plate.

David I, Manager at Champs Sports Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2017

Hello,

I don’t think that the response could have came to you at a later time, but I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is David Irish and I have recently taken over as the Assistant General Manager of Champs on North Atherton Street.

I just wanted to say hello and thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. If you have anything you would like to talk about, please reach out to me here!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I met my college roommate here for a get together. We hadn't seen each other in over 10 years. She picked a great place! We had one of their specialty draft beers (kahicky-or somerthing like that). It had a taste of pineapple and was AWESOME! The service was better than most and was always on the ball. We ordered chicken fingers and Nachos....both were delictious! Definitely will go back here again!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Restaurant was not that busy when we were there tonight. Waited 10 minutes after being seated for a server to come over. We ordered right away. My husband & daughter's food came & mine came out a few minutes later. So ...far, we were fine, no real complaints, things looked good. We got a few drinks from the bar for happy hour at a discount at the servers suggestion. I went to eat my sandwich, Tommy Lasorda's favorite. There was so much lettuce, I couldn't close it. As I scraped some off, I could see that there was a pathetic amount of meat on the bun. I did not even eat a bite & sent it back. The manager, Brent, came over & did not even seem apologetic or embarrassed. He said to me, "Ma'am, that sandwich had 3 slices of meat on it. It's quality Boar's Head meat." Seriously! There were 3 slices of meat, one of each kind that was advertised. They were not even stacked on top of each other, they were spread out to cover the bun. It was basically lettuce on a hot dog bun. I told him I bought Boar's Head often & it's not so expensive that they could not put more than a half ounce of meat on the sandwich. He told me that he was not taking it off of my bill and walked away. We were not happy but we did not have time to argue since were were meeting friends at the baseball game. We had to get another waitress to ask ours to bring the bill so we could leave. The sandwich was still on our bill. We paid at the register & the manager came over, probably to make sure we paid. I handed him the cash & went to walk out, he said, "Our owner does not let us take the food of the bill if you are not happy, he doesn't like to waste food." He obviously doesn't like to make customers happy or treat his employees well either. The $6 sandwich that I paid for came out of our poor waitresses tip. Sorry, but I was not paying for something that I did not even touch. When we go to the game, guess who's beer stand at the top of our section 104 did not get any business from us or our friends. Way to run a business, Champs!

Hello,

I am so sorry your experience was not up to par. Me and my fellow managers are working diligently to build a strong service staff and alleviate the many complaints of poor service that we have accumulated over the years. Since January, I have been trying to develop, hire, and train wait staff to move us from poor service to the best in State College. I know that this will take a while, but I am determined. With stories like yours, we can learn and take them to the team so things do not occur twice. I apologize again that your service was not up to par and that a past manager did not treat you with the respect they should have.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

The food here is good. The bar scene is fun! I would recommend coming here on dates, with friends or with your family. If you are into watching the big game they have HUGE tv's so come to Champs and have some fun. I would recommend eating at this restaurant/ bar also eating outside is great. The patio is very large and adds to the greatness of the restaurant.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was told to give Champs a try by colleague's I was visiting. To be honest, I'd walked right by it a couple of times. From the outside it doesn't look like anything special (except the large outdoor seating). It's much larger on the inside and has a good sports bar atmosphere.

The beer selection (a number of microbrews along with macrobrew crap) and the menu variety (typical pub grub, along with a variety of salads, sandwiches, and entrees) were both very good. I had the blackened salmon over spinach and walnut ravioli, and it was excellent.