“Favorite outdoor spot”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm a central PA native. This is my wife and mine's favorite outdoor spot locally, with caveats. I've never found the help to be anything but pleasant. If you're in State College and don't understand the pressure on local bars to control underage drinking, you're going to be offended. The folks at the side door to the deck are there to screen, period.

I've eaten inside once and find it unpleasant. Too dark, often cold. Also, we won't come after about 7pm. Fact is the students come to the place to party and aren't old enough to curb their behavior in front of my young children. Annoying, but it is what it is.

So my rating is based on many times eating outside on a nice day. We come late afternoon. As with most local establishments, the table is only as good as the assigned wait staff. When they've been sub par, I head to the bar. Once is usually enough.

I find the food first rate. I agree with reviews on the Monday burrito special being mostly rice, but it's not fine dining, it's an unlimited special for cash-strapped students. Off the regular menu, my wife an I have sampled most everything. In a previous vist, I found the mahi fajita kicks. However, many other more high end proteins have been over priced or skimpy on he meat, so we stick with chicken oe veggie. Particularly fond of the spicy mad mex burrito and the homemade chips and salsa. The veggie enchilada is a good vegan choice. This last trip I had the dance marathon enchilada. Not bad but prefer the former.

Can't speak on the margs. My wife likes them, but isn't looking to get loaded. Beer selection is good with prices on par locally.

Again, my main argument with other reviews is the service. Sounds like folks not used to college towns. I always find them pleasant and helpful. But I wouldn't come here later in the evening when it's more bar than restaurant.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Enjoyed dinner at Mad Mex on a Friday evening. They have a large, very nice outdoor dining patio, but we opted to eat indoors as it can sometimes get noisy on the patio. We had a carafe of sangria. Very large menu with detailed descriptions. My partner had a chicken mole burrito which was very good. I had vegetarian quesadillas that were delicious. Unlike the usual quesadilla they had a substantial filling of mushrooms and other veggies. Service was good and prompt.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Maybe you have to be a certain age to be acclimated to a walk-in like you receive here. Looks like they took tips from the TSA. We were at no time properly greeted, but we were carded (a couple in their 40's and a thirteen-year-old), photographed, questioned about the parentage of my daughter and shunted off to a dining room attendant. Said attendant was told by the guard that "This one's not 21". I told my family not to order anything until we got some answers on what the deal was with the treatment. After a couple minutes without a waiter or waitress coming to take are order we took the hint and split. Hopefully you'll read this and save your time.

2  Thank Douglas R
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We ordered here so the kids wouldn't have to leave the pool after soccer. Our order was incorrect as were some of the others but they did attempt to correct the problem. They should never have served drinks and then not let us take them into the common area of the hotel. Again they did reimburse us but they should never have done it. If it hadn't been convenient and the kids wanted the pool we would have gone somewhere else.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The menu is varied as others have stated. The chick pea chili was an excellent addition to the chicken chimi. Wait staff was attentive and the Negro Modello was excellent as well. The only drawback was the extended wait for the arrival of our meal. I was not in a rush but it might be a detriment to others.