“Comfortable, quiet hotel just outside the hustle and bustle of State College”

SpringHill Suites State College
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in State College
Pennsburg, Pennsylvania
“Comfortable, quiet hotel just outside the hustle and bustle of State College”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My daughters attend Penn State and my husband has business connections to the university, as well. We stay at this hotel very often. The hotel itself is decorated in a Williamsburg, VA type of motif. There are two other hotels within the same parking area. Outback Steakhouse and Olive Garden are within this complex also. The hotel is not located within walking distance to the university, but it is in a more quiet, secluded area. There is a lot of new shopping establishments very close by including Home Goods, Kohl's, Ann Taylor, Wegman's, Target, Dick's, and many others. There is no shuttle to the university and parking is only available in parking garages or parking lots that the university allows parking to non-students and staff. Parking is available in the town in garages, lots and metered parking on the streets. This hotel is a typical chain hotel. Nice accommodations, clean, exercise room, indoor pool, etc. Breakfast in the morning is adequate. Muffins, toast, re-heated eggs, yogurt, cereal, etc. (There is a delicious Cracker Barrel across the street with great breakfasts!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tamara p
Jordan S, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites State College, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Tamara P,

We are lucky to have such a loyal PSU family staying with us! Just for your next visit, our hotel is within walking distance to the CATA bus line which travels to campus as well as downtown State College. This would allow you to leave your car at our property and not worry about the parking fees. This is a popular choice on football and special event weekends. Also, if you do visit downtown and happen to park in the garages located in the downtown area, a number of businesses will validate parking, all you need to do is ask! Lastly, we will be revamping our breakfast in the coming weeks to allow for a few more healthy options. We look forward to your next visit.

Property Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Collegeville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a great hotel Very clean and the service was friendly. Surrounded by a couple chain restaurants such as Outback, Texas Steakhouse and Olive Garden. Grocery store is very close and easy accessibility to PSU campus and football stadium. Startbucks is within walking distance. I would recommend this hotel for your State College visit.

Room Tip: I stayed in the suite with a jacuzzi tub which provides a little extra space. Great value.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew B
Dear Matthew B,
Thank you for your recommendation! I’m happy to see you enjoyed having those restaurants nearby and that you were able to visit PSU campus. I’m also glad to see that you enjoyed our Jacuzzi suites, which do in fact have a little more room.

Tatamy, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were only in town for one night, but I wish we could have stayed longer! The room was beautiful, the staff was very friendly. My only wish would be that the breakfast area wasn't as crowded, but we were in town for an event, so I guess that would be expected. We would stay here again, absolutely!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Starwoodinpa
Dear Starwoodinpa,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in State College! We would have loved for you to stay with us longer. We are very proud of our personable staff, I’ll be sure to tell them of your kind words. I apologize on the number of people during breakfast. Hopefully, we will see you again soon.

Maryland
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I scored a fabulous rate on Priceline for this hotel and it is the first time I've stayed with this chain. I am aware that there can be varied impressions for the same chain in different cities depending on location, staff and the facility. Let me say that this was a great first impression for Spring Hill.

What liked:
*Just 3 miles from Penn State
*Kara at the front desk was very nice and accommodating
* VERY spacious room
* coffee pot, fridge, microwave in a separate bar area with additional sink
* bathroom sink located outside of the bathroom which makes it very nice for multiple guests in the room.
* air conditioning unit was stable as far as temps goes. I didn't wake up once too cold or too hot.
*VERY clean-- Any hotel that uses white bedspreads has got to be VERY confident about cleanliness. I felt everything from the bathroom, bed, carpet and furniture was clean.
*two closets with automatic lights that go on when opened.
*hair dryer
*Paul Mitchell Hair products left my hair super soft
* Free wifi
* complimentary breakfast (warm and cold) in the morning
* I home to play and charge iphone. (not new iphone 5 jack)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LightQueen
Mark B, Manager at SpringHill Suites State College, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Hi LightQueen,

Thank you for your detailed and flattering review! I am glad to read that we have given you a positive first impression of the SpringHill brand. Reviews like yours really help to keep our team motivated and focused on providing our guests with the best service achievable. I will be sure to share your positive words with all of staff and Kara specifically. Thank you!

Truly appreciative,

New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am a Marriott platinum member and have been staying at Marriott properties around the U.S since 2008, traveling mostly for work. This trip was a personal one and I was accompanied by my sister. The Marriott rewards level of 6 for this property is quite deserved. The room/bathroom was very clean, all my preferences were met (high floor/extra towels etc), and it is centrally located and within a short distance from restaurants/bars. Thumbs up also on the recommendations for local breweries from the front desk staff member. The breakfast bar also stayed true to the emphasis on the cleanliness of the property and was well stocked, and even had a fresh cut fruit available. It was also well stocked even though we arrived for breakfast at 9. An easy choice if I am traveling to the area again. All I can say is keep up the good work!

PS: My ratings are based on an apples to apples comparison. That is, 'how does this spring hill suites property compare to other spring hill suites properties in which I have stayed'. It isn't a fair comparison otherwise. This property was in the top 10% of Spring Hill suites properties in which I have stayed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Damith F
Hello DamithFdo,

You are too kind, top 10% of SpringHill Suites in your experience? This is wonderful to read! We are truly appreciative of your kind words, your loyalty to Marriott, and the time you dedicated to writing this review. As our customer, we promise to continue to strive to exceed all of your expectations.

Kind regards,

Bridgewater
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My son will be starting at PSU very soon and I found my hotel where I will stay for all of my visits to State College. The hotel is very clean, modern and the staff is unbeatable. Victoria checked me in and upgraded my room and also reserved the same room for my return visit next week. Bella made my boss and I fresh coffee when we returned from dinner. This is a great place and I am sure I will be here plenty over the next 4 - 5 years. - A Ungerleider

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank flashbridgewater
Mark B, Manager at SpringHill Suites State College, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Hello flashbridgewater,

Congratulations on your son’s admission to Penn State! PSU is a wonderful university and has a lot to offer its students. We really appreciate you taking the time to review our property. I will be sure to thank and congratulate both Victoria and Bella for making your experience a memorable one. We look forward to having you and your family as our guests throughout the course of your son’s college career.

Cheers,

Clarence, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is an excellent property, and one that I prefer when traveling on business. The hotel staff is very professional, and the property is very appealing and well maintained. I am a long time Marriott Rewards member, and its this type of experience that keeps me loyal to the Marriott brand.

Thanks -- Chodora

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris C
Hi Chris C,

Thank you for being such a loyal Marriott traveler. We owe you much gratitude as the success of our company is due to you and other guests like you. We would also like to thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to review our property. I look forward to meeting you in the future. Thank you for choosing the SpringHill Suites!

Cheers,