“Everything you would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn property...”

Hilton Garden Inn State College
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Arrived at this Hilton Garden Inn, the car port and the surrounding landscape were very nicely done, well maintained and clean. This hotel sits in close proximity to the Penn State Campus. I entered the hotel and was greeted by a very friendly desk clerk and check in was quick and efficient.

The lobby is bright, cheery and full of natural light. This hotel has a unique restaurant area, larger than most, with a “grown local” theme with a unique and eclectic menu. A full service coffee machine is also adjacent the front desk and makes a pretty good cup of coffee, espresso, latte etc.

I arrived at my room and began my inspection; the room was of large size, was clean and neat but unremarkable in its colors and textures. The television was 32” flat screen LCD with a good channel section with some in HD. The room also included a microwave and refrigerator both clean and in perfect working condition. The bed duvet was freshly laundered and the bed sheets were white, clean and crisp. Inspection of the bathroom revealed clean, neat and organized with plenty of clean white towels and amenities. The shower was clean, had great pressure and the hot water was plentiful.

The bed was comfortable and I had no issues with sleep. HGI is my hotel of choice while on business travel and I love the select number mattress. I heard no noise from the exterior or the corridors. The HVAC quickly and consistently cooled the room; it was quiet and unobtrusive, and controlled by a wall thermostat. The desk/work area was of large size and the desk chair was outstanding. The Herman Miller desk chair is one of the main reasons I choose HGI. If you work from your room you will appreciate such a magnificent chair. The wireless internet was acceptable but not wireless. You will need to connect via the provided cable. A cordless phone is also provided in the room.

The pool was interior, large and very comfortable as was the adjacent Jacuzzi. The workout area was average size but provided high quality equipment.

This hotel sits a short drive away from many chain restaurant and sole-proprietorship locations.

The breakfast, although not free, was very good and much better than the chain buffet style, which I have grown tired of.

Would I return, Yes, would I recommended, Yes. This hotel met all of my expectations for a Hilton Garden Inn, clean, quiet and comfortable. $125.00 room + $7.50 lodging tax + $3.13 OCC tax-room (???), totaled $135.63 for a Wednesday night in September, 2011. Although the rate sounds excessive it is a very competitive for this area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
growell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2011

Happy to hear Hilton Garden Inn is your Hotel of choice when traveling. Thank you for staying with us and all your positive comments on our State College Hotel. I will be sure to share your comments with our team and our Harrison's restaurant staff. Again, thank you for your thorough and complimentary review of our hotel. I do have one correction, we do have complimentary high speed internet wireless and as well as connection through cable.
We will look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed here twice while visiting Penn State and can say that it was a good overall experience. The hotel really does a great job of staying clean and well maintained. I'm a bit of a stickler for cleanliness and I enjoy staying at a hotel where I find the carpets, walls, furniture and common areas well-kept. The rooms have some fancy-shmancy sleep bed system and I must say it was very comfortable with soft sheets and bedding. Our room had a microwave, fridge and coffee-maker. Even if I don't use these things, it makes me feel better just having them in the room "just in case". The hotel boasts a few neat little goodies like complimentary fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and a coffee/capuccino machine in the lobby. I guess a cup of coffee and a cookie goes a long way to making me feel welcome:) The front desk manager was very courteous and helpful, as well. They have a restaurant in the lobby that was satisfactory for breakfast and got us started on our way. Once your outside, you make a right onto the highway and you roll right into Penn State which is convenient. I haven't stayed elsewhere (except the Nittany Lion Inn which I think was pricer) but thought that this hotel met my needs.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We have stayed multiple times at this hotel which is just minutes from the Penn State campus. It is in an easy to find location. The hotel consistently looks brand new which is a credit to the team at the hotel. The staff at the desk as well as anyone that we encounter is very friendly. The pantry by the desk is handy. This is our first choice when visiting the area.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
growell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate your loyalty and will share your comments with our team

Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed here overnight on a weekend. Check-in was quick and friendly and our room was clean, comfortable and with plenty of fresh towels. Included a room mini-fridge and microwave. Very comfortable beds, plenty of outside parking. Close and convenient to Penn State campus and the downtown area. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

I am pleased to hear a "stickler" for cleanliness has given a positive review for our high standards of cleanliness and maintenance. Thanks!
The fancy bed you refer to is our Hilton Garden Sleep System bed. It allows you to adjust the firmness on both sides of the bed.
Thank you again for your kind comments and staying with us.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I have stayed here several times over the years since my parents live in State College and I now have a son at Penn State. My latest stay was in April with my high school age son for a few days over his spring break. The rooms are clean. Service is fine, and housekeeping seems to be outstanding. The front desk staff varies, with some being friendly and helpful, and others seeming to be bored and not thrilled to be working. Rooms are larger than those at the Hampton Inn down the street and also have refrigerators and microwaves which can come in handy.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Stopped here while passing through the area - was completely satisfied! We arrived late & were greeted by a cheerful desk attendant who quickly got us oriented. Our first floor room was large enough to set down everything we brought with plenty of room to mill about. The king bed was comfortable, the free Internet connection was easily accessible, and the bathroom was clean and bright enough to see around. We didn't get to make use of the pool and workout room, but they looked very nice.

All in all, the facilities were more than adequate - I only wish there was more time to enjoy the place. I would definitely return to this hotel if I return to the area!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I travel about 40% of my time for business purposes. I stay at Hilton properties about 35% of the time.

I arrived at about 11:30 PM. Got into my room to hear the toilet running all night. Sounded like the plunger was not stopping the water. Scrapes on all the walls and found hair on the back of the toilet. The tub stopper did not work so when I showered my feet were submerged in dirty water. To make matters worse; they had a powder coffee machine in the lobby.

On a positive note; the location was good to downtown to assist me in getting real coffee in the AM. This place needs renovation badly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business