“Not as the website described”

Discovery Space of Central Pennsylvania
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed September 16, 2012

When we looked at the website, Discovery Space seemed like it would be a fantastic place to bring our three-year-old. We drove an hour to visit the museum and were surprised that it was only one room with very home made displays, many of which were broken or missing pieces. The very home made nature of the displays wasn't necessarily the problem; the missing pieces and disfuntional equipment made the entire place seem shoddy. When we did ask for help with the flood area, we had to ask a group of four employees before they directed us to another person for assistance. We were the ONLY family in there and there were five employees working (or not working). Luckily, the admisson only cost us $18 and also luckily, my three-year-old is entertained by almost anything. The website mentions animals and gardens; the animals are puppets and the gardens are raised beds bordering a parking lot in a 3 foot area. We will not be going back.

1  Thank Peachmama

Reviewed August 23, 2012

As you may guess, there is not a lot to do in State College with kids on a rainy afternoon - if it's Sunday, and if you already missed the public skating at the ice rink! So, we headed over to the Discovery Space, with 5 kids (ages 4-12) and they all had a great time. For 2 hours straight, they each found something to do, and at the end only the promise of sticky buns motivated them to leave. We'll return!

2  Thank SPHTNJ
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We took our 8 year old grandson there - it was wonderful. He loved it and didn't want to leave. The workers helped. Loved the maps. Would go back again

1  Thank Cheryletouchton
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The only reason that I gave this place three stars is because we have been to lots of Discovery places around the country and they can be so much better than this one. That being said, this area desperately needed something for children and they have only been opened less than one year so for what they have done in that time and for where I hope they will be going in the future...I totally commend them! Please support this wonderful learning environment. The only complaint I have is that the staff was not exactly "kid friendly" as they usually are in these places. I had my children with me ages 9,6 and 3. The 3 year old had just woke up and was in his umbrella stroller, not wanting to get out just yet. This place is the size of one huge room with stations throughout. When we arrived there was a school group there. The woman at the counter said that I needed to leave my stroller in the coat area. She kept making references to it too. When my child did not want to get out I asked if I could keep him in there and she very reluctantly allowed me to but stressed that as soon as he got out I had to fold it up and bring it to the coat area. There were just too many kids there and she didn't want anyone to trip. I understand but having been to these "family oriented" places before..strollers come with the territory. How about families that have infants or toddlers? Children's museums like these usually have areas for the parents to sit, and there wasn't much place for that and NEVER have I been asked before to leave things like that behind. There was plenty of room for all the kids that were there plus our stroller. As I expected, once we got to the first station, my kid was wide awake and didn't want it anymore. In the bathrooms, there was nothing to accomodate the younger vertically challenged kids..like stools at the sink or lower sinks...as in other places.Quite a few of the stations were not working properly or had shown alot of wear and tear..at times reminded me of a daycare or church nursery that was quickly thrown together with used toys and whatever else could be found. There was also a very grumpy young attendent who sat scowling at a table the whole time. There was a display that had an "out of order" sign on it but kids would still go up to it and turn the handle and she was getting upset...and wasn't speaking as kindly or appropriately to the children...I have always encountered a more understanding staff at these places. their specialty is children. I just wanted to say, "If you don't like your job then please leave and let someone else who cares fill your position." Regardless, I think this is much needed in this area but they definitely still have alot of work to do. Will definitely go back but not too soon.

1  Thank goldenrosy
Reviewed January 12, 2012

This place is not as described online. It is all contained to one small room and the exhibits are smashed together. We attended on the grand opening free day and I am glad I did not have to pay admission as it would have been an even bigger disappointment. I however have not attended story time or any other special exhibits so those may be nice. The staff were very nice though. They had wonderful attitudes and my daughter loved them. As a parent I was not impressed but it was enough to please my 4 year old.

1  Thank Mimsmil