“Always a pleasure”

Penn Stater Conference Center
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have the pleasure of staying at the Penn Stater once a year at the Pennsylvania State SHRM Conference. The property is clean, bright, accommodating, and comfortable. The staff are friendly and gracrious. The Chai Latte machine is a special treat between conference sessions!

Room Tip: I always ask for a king away from the ice machines and elevators.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

We love the Latte machine as well...and the Slushies! We enjoy hosting your conference each year and I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay. We look forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was there for two days for a conference, and pleasantly surprised. Nice facility, good food, friendly staff. I loved the stocked snack areas between sessions, very nice touch. Now, every conference and budget is different, but the food/service was really good. Plenty of parking is available, which was a nice bonus for a large conference.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2013

while we like being closer intown, this property served us well for attendance at a PSU board meeting, visiting friends, hiking and going to a soggy football game. The rooms are more than adequate, although double beds are small these days. We would have preferred a king or two queens. The shuttles are helpful and not having to pay to park is good. A little strange setup with the extra long hallways. Overall, we would stay again.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

We are so glad the rain didn't dampen your stay with us! Please know that we can accommodate many preferences that you may have for future stays and can certainly find the room that makes you the most comfortable. From bed and mattress types to size, configuration and location, we are sure to find you a great match. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

What's not to like about this property? It's new, clean, and comfortable; the views are peaceful, the parking is free, and the staff is young, enthusiastic and friendly. The stuff in the gift shop is reasonably priced - what a concept!! They have a small indoor lap pool (with a Jacuzzi), a small (but adequate) gym, and nice little locker rooms. The dining rooms are large enough to accommodate the full house that they have on football weekends. I wish every hotel I stayed at was like this one.

Be aware that it's not near enough to town to walk, but they do have a shuttle that you can take to the stadium or town.

Room Tip: I can't imagine any of the rooms aren't good. We were across from the ice machine, and didn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

What a great story...thank you so much for sharing! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and we are so glad to have been a part of it!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

If attending a game, stay here! The hotel is great, transportation convenient, no stress. The breakfast buffet is great. We had dinner at The Gardens and would recommend it as well. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Shopping is close and convenient to get to. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent a night at the legendary Penn Stater while my son was moving into his dorm room. The room was clean and bright, with a generously sized divided bathroom and pull out couch. Nice quality toiletries and the staff even provided us with a toothbrush/toothpaste to replace a forgotten item. If only a continental breakfast was available, it would have been a perfect experience. All in all, a pleasant hotel, with comfortable beds, soft towels and friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cosmo106
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had pretty consistently the same stay each of my 10 nights stay. It is very convenient if you are attending meetings or conferences to stay here. The parking is easy, safe and free. I stayed in 3 separate rooms on 3 separate floors over the three weeks I was there. The first room was dirty with left over peanuts on the floor and cobwebs under the dresser. I called the front desk to ask for cleaning. I stayed for 2 nights and housekeeping never cleaned up the peanuts from the floor. My friend picked up a glass to drink out of there was approximately 1 inch of dust in the glass. That room was quiet through. The second room the next week was an adjoining room. Also dusty and dirty with worn furnishings. I could hear every conversation that my neighbors were having next door through the adjoining door. I slept very little that week there due to the loud neighbors and poor room arrangement. The following room the next week also was adjoining with the same experience. I heard a phone ring and thought it was my own. If you are on business, the work area is tight and difficult to utilize.

The physical location of the hotel is far from desired items like downtown or Atherton st. I didn't mind that because the shuttle was very nice. The shuttle driver was very personable and gave great recommendations for dinner. The front desk staff the first two weeks were wonderful and helpful. Good short running path nearby for runners. Did not try the pool or fitness center. No outdoor pool.
The conference facilities are nice and the support staff for them are wonderful.

I went to Legends twice for a working dinner. Both times, the wait staff seemed like they hadn't worked larger crowds before or we overwhelmed. The second time I waited 20 minutes until I asked the bartender for a waitress.The food was ok once it came and appropriately priced. I would eat there again but only with a lot of given time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business