“Football weekend with the girls”

Penn Stater Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed September 17, 2013

What's not to like about this property? It's new, clean, and comfortable; the views are peaceful, the parking is free, and the staff is young, enthusiastic and friendly. The stuff in the gift shop is reasonably priced - what a concept!! They have a small indoor lap pool (with a Jacuzzi), a small (but adequate) gym, and nice little locker rooms. The dining rooms are large enough to accommodate the full house that they have on football weekends. I wish every hotel I stayed at was like this one.

Be aware that it's not near enough to town to walk, but they do have a shuttle that you can take to the stadium or town.

Room Tip: I can't imagine any of the rooms aren't good. We were across from the ice machine, and didn...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

What a great story...thank you so much for sharing! It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and we are so glad to have been a part of it!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

If attending a game, stay here! The hotel is great, transportation convenient, no stress. The breakfast buffet is great. We had dinner at The Gardens and would recommend it as well. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Shopping is close and convenient to get to. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent a night at the legendary Penn Stater while my son was moving into his dorm room. The room was clean and bright, with a generously sized divided bathroom and pull out couch. Nice quality toiletries and the staff even provided us with a toothbrush/toothpaste to replace a forgotten item. If only a continental breakfast was available, it would have been a perfect experience. All in all, a pleasant hotel, with comfortable beds, soft towels and friendly and attentive staff.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cosmo106
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had pretty consistently the same stay each of my 10 nights stay. It is very convenient if you are attending meetings or conferences to stay here. The parking is easy, safe and free. I stayed in 3 separate rooms on 3 separate floors over the three weeks I was there. The first room was dirty with left over peanuts on the floor and cobwebs under the dresser. I called the front desk to ask for cleaning. I stayed for 2 nights and housekeeping never cleaned up the peanuts from the floor. My friend picked up a glass to drink out of there was approximately 1 inch of dust in the glass. That room was quiet through. The second room the next week was an adjoining room. Also dusty and dirty with worn furnishings. I could hear every conversation that my neighbors were having next door through the adjoining door. I slept very little that week there due to the loud neighbors and poor room arrangement. The following room the next week also was adjoining with the same experience. I heard a phone ring and thought it was my own. If you are on business, the work area is tight and difficult to utilize.

The physical location of the hotel is far from desired items like downtown or Atherton st. I didn't mind that because the shuttle was very nice. The shuttle driver was very personable and gave great recommendations for dinner. The front desk staff the first two weeks were wonderful and helpful. Good short running path nearby for runners. Did not try the pool or fitness center. No outdoor pool.
The conference facilities are nice and the support staff for them are wonderful.

I went to Legends twice for a working dinner. Both times, the wait staff seemed like they hadn't worked larger crowds before or we overwhelmed. The second time I waited 20 minutes until I asked the bartender for a waitress.The food was ok once it came and appropriately priced. I would eat there again but only with a lot of given time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank getmeoutofthistown
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I do a lot of conferences at State College and like to stay at the Penn Stater whenever possible. It's a big place so sometimes you walk quite a distance from the front desk but the rooms are great and the service attentive. Shuttle service downtown makes up for some limited restaurant choices. Plenty of parking. The setting around the hotel is beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went to Penn Stater for a business show. Everything was very nice. Good food, nice rooms. Great place to stay for Penn State football games! Convenient to many areas in State College. It is convenient to the Interstates, many restaurants. Convention area was nicely adorned.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My son and I spent 2 nights here this week. From the moment we arrived till we left, we were satisfied with everything this hotel had to offer. Upon arriving to State College, the hotel arranged their van (for free) to meet us at the airport and take us back to the hotel. The driver Steve was kind and helpful. The staff was very friendly upon check in and assured us if we needed anything they would be more than happy to assist. Even had a room ready for us even though we came early. The lady at the front desk gave us a list of restaurants in and around town we could eat during our stay. The room was huge, clean (including bathroom) and we had an awesome view of the mountains. Only thing about the room that I suggest is replacing the sofas. Looked old and stained and I wish the pillows were a little softer. But other than that, the room was awesome. We arrived around 2pm and were starving after a long flight, so we decided to eat at the Legends Pub inside the hotel. All I can say was- it was well worth starving for. My son loved the Penn Stater Burger! The fries were awesome! Staff friendly. The next morning we ate breakfast at the Gardens Restaurant (also inside the hotel). My son had the breakfast buffet and was satisfied with a good selection of eggs, bacon. pancakes and fresh juices. If my son decides to go to school at Penn State in the future, we will surely be coming back to the Penn Stater!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience - and for giving us the opportunity to have you as a guest during your visit to Penn State! Best of luck to your son in his college decision...if he does choose to become part of the Penn State family, or for any upcoming trips to Happy Valley, we will look forward to seeing you again soon!