“Great Service”

Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in State College
Lewisburg, West Virginia
“Great Service”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel and conference center are not well laid out. Some elevators are for certain floors and there are elevators for other floors. The area for the trade show and the rooms for seminars were first rate.

The hotel room was sort of small and the closet was too small. We were there for three nights and had to have clothes for day and for evening. There was not enough closet space for two people. The bed was superb. There were three pillows for two people in a king bed. One pillow was like a rock. The lighting was great for reading in bed with lamps on both sides of the bed with two bulbs in each lamp. There was a very comfortable chair and ottoman.

The internet was fast.

We only had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. We ordered off the menu and they make an excellent omelet. The food for the convention was above average.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When I got home, I realized I had left my phone charger. I called the next morning and was told it was there. I offered to pay for it being shipped and they said it was would be returned to me at no cost. Great service!

We liked the little window in the large window that allowed for fresh air. Having the heat on made the room too hot. We turned off the heat and opened that little window for a perfect temperature.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no connecting door.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you so much for providing us with specific feedback about your stay - it truly helps us to give you a better experience each time. I am so happy to hear that you received the excellent service that you deserve! For future stays, if you will be travelling with multiple people or will be with us for an extended stay, we do have a variety of room types that are larger and offer additional space. We have multiple bedding options as well, including down pillows if the standard pillows are too firm, and we also offer Temperpedic mattresses in many of our guest rooms. Please let us know at any time if we may make your stay more comfortable while you are here! We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Western Massachusetts
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Penn Stater for 2 nights, attending a convention that was hosted at the property. The hotel is quite nice, although the architecture is a bit unusual, somewhat of a cross between a hospital and a giant dormitory. The staff is very responsive and efficient, and the food was fine. Housekeeping was very prompt and thorough, and a newspaper was outside my door each morning. My room with a king bed seemed a bit small, particularly the bathroom that was very tiny by today’s standards.

My biggest problem with the room was the heating and air conditioning system. The temperature is only set by a sliding control and a choice of fan speeds. On my first night, I was at first cold, so I turned the thermostat up slightly. Woke up again, moved it up slightly more. Woke up again, extremely hot, and turned it down. Woke up three more times, with three more adjustments of the thermostat, all still extremely hot. At one point during the night, I woke up having a dream that I was in a burning building! Needless to say, I did not enjoy a very good night of sleep. In addition, the ventilation is aimed directly at the bed, which I found uncomfortable. A friend who was also staying in the hotel experienced the same problem and suggested that I simply open my window for the second night. I did this, after getting the room to the right temperature (where the temperature would not hold if left to the thermostat) then turning off the HVAC, and I got a much better night of sleep.

The wi-fi in the room was fine, and the furniture was comfortable. The TV was a bit dated, with an enormous remote control that was very slow to respond to input (such as adjusting the volume or changing channels). One other minor problem was a continuous drip from the bathroom tub faucet. This did not disturb my sleep or anything like that, but I did not like seeing the water being wasted.

Room Tip: Open the window, if the outside temperature is suitable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay and are so sorry to hear that you did not sleep well while you were with us! We wanted to take the opportunity that we are currently installing a new heating system that will provide a more ideal temperature for your comfort and will be activated upon check-in. The temperature can still be manually adjusted to your individual preference once you enter the room and at any time you may have a specific concern, our on-site team is ready to assist you. We hope to have the opportunity to give you a better experience in the future!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a three night stay at the Penn Stater. Our rooms were all clean and well kept, standard. Nice view of the mountains from our window. We were by the ice maker, but it did not bother us as indicated in some previous reviews. We were able to use the hospitality room on our floor with friends, which is at the end of the hall and closed off. We did not have to worry about disturbing other guests. The Penn Stater is located away from campus, but we were very pleased with the shuttle service, which we used extensively to get to town and a few other locations. All of our drivers were friendly, talkative and well informed about the area. They arrived at stated time and one time they were running behind, they called and let us know. There was an indoor pool, which we did not use. The reception facilities were very nice, staff good, and food was enjoyable. We spent time in Legends Pub and also had breakfast in the Gardens Restaurant. There was fresh coffee available in the lobby. They have a very inviting fireplace in the lobby, which I decided to enjoy one morning while waiting for the rest of my party to wake up, but I soon found the doors opening to the outside make it extremely cold and uncomfortable, sending me to find another location. That was my only real complaint for my stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank CSCfromPA
Briellenj
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed 2 nights for a family wedding. Staying in the same hotel that the wedding reception was held was so convenient. Concerns about drinking and driving were alleviated. The rooms were spacious, very clean and very well priced. It was not a home football game weekend so getting around was very easy. There are 2 restaurants to eat. We had breakfast both mornings in the one. You have the option of a buffet or menu. The food was good and the buffet choices were adequate. We ate and had drinks ( had a great sour apple martini there) at the pub. Food was really good.My kids highly recommend pretzel covered cheddar sticks.

Room Tip: Under age drinking is not tolerated in wedding reception at all. Bar can shut down if violation occu...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cochranton
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Rooms were a good size, clean. Bed gave a good nights sleep. nice training rooms and dinning was great. staff was helpful. parking was free in the parking garage next door. location was right in the middle of State College. Easy on and off the interstates.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

The Penn Stater is a couple of miles away from campus which means it is quiet. The rooms were amply sized with all the traditional ammenties. The beds were comfortable and the HVAC worked well and quietly. I had an issue at check in (room was across from the ice machine which was very loud). At first they did not want to switch me, then they would, but I woudl have to change rooms, and finally the manager was able to switch me and I woudl not have to move.

This was great since those of you who have read my reviews know I am a light sleeper. Coming from New York in the aftermath of Sandy, and hearing the generators of my neighbors, I was happy to finally have a good night sleep - and I did.

Breakfast buffet at the Garden Inn was decent for the price and convenience. We did not have dinner their, but a friend did and really enjoyed it. At Legends pub we had drinks and appetizers which were quite good.

The real plus was the complimentary shuttle to take you anywhere you wanted to go on campus and a phone call away to be picked up again. They said call 15 minutes in advance to be picked up from campus for the return to the hotel, but the shuttle was usually there sooner than that.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the place was clean, comfortable and we also enjoyed the free 'to go' coffee in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the very loud ice machines.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here a couple weekends ago and got woken up at 7:30am with construction right outside of our window. There were a bunch of dead bugs on the window also. It was close to campus but not quite walkable when it's rainy and gross outside. the restaurants in the hotel were decent though and the exercise room/pool also. We weren't the biggest fans of the beds - they were memory foam mattresses and weren't the most comfy - finally got used to them by the 4th night when we needed to leave.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple