“Everything done right”

Penn Stater Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Our state conference comes here often, and the place gets better each year. My reservation instuction specifys a quiet room; the front desk informed me that I was in the same room as the last time. The last time was 2 years ago, so that's impressive. It was a quiet room. HVAC system runs with a constant fan, and does a great job. Room is clean & spacious. Bathroom is updated with nice features. Even the hair dryer works (so many hotels disable the hair dryer by tripping the ground fault interrupter). Nice hot shower with a curved curtain. Nice soap & shampoo amenities.

Along with the nice property, the staff is great at all levels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Penn Stater Conference Center

Reviewed May 7, 2012

To begin with, I stayed during the Spring '12 graduation weekend. Expecting a large number of guests I was afraid of what I would find based on other reviews. Boy, I was wrong! The staff didn't miss a beat! The shuttle service will take you anywhere and pick you up in town. Room was very nice (ask for one facing the front of the hotel so you can have a view of Mt Nittany). Rooms have windows that open to let fresh air in (nice touch). Beds have foam top mattresses which tend to feel on the extra firm side (which I like). Food in the dining room was good (buffet or a la carte). While the fitness center is open 24/7, the lap pool closes at 11 PM. Note: The pool is smaller than it appears on their website; it is passable for swimming laps. Also, the breakfast doesn't begin till 6:45 AM, a little late if you need an early start. Besides coffee in the room, there is coffee in the lobby (which I though was a little on the weak side) Keep in mind that the hotel is on the very east part of campus and nothing is really within walking distance (plus traffic concerns since 2 major roads (I-99 & US322) come together near the enterance. Signage is rather lacking to direct you off the highway to the hotel, so, if you don't have GPS, check a map first.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NCtravellerDurhamNC
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I stayed at the Penn Stater during the 2012 Blue-White Weekend. The staff is super helpful and friendly and the lobby and conference rooms are beautiful. It appears that they are undergoing a renovation as many of the signs were on easels. One night I had a room on the 4th floor, which was really nice. I had to move to the 3rd floor to be closer to a hospitality room that I was overseeing and that floor did not have the same bedding and the furniture was less modern.

Its a beautiful place that can be so much more than it is. I did not like seeing the little microwaves in the hallway, I thought that was a bit strange, but perhaps they will be enclosed in a different area after the renovation (I hope). Its a great location for Penn State Football games, but if you want to go downtown, you will have to either take the shuttle or drive.

I didn't try the food during this trip, but I did attend a banquet there last month and the food was not so good.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a renovated room, they are a little nicer.
2  Thank KarlaWT
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This place could be so much better. It has convenience. It has a shuttle service. Those are the pluses. The service is bad in the bar and the restaurant. The are either short-staffed or the staff is over-matched by the job's requirements (and it is not like the football schedule is a secret). The food is mediocre, but the beer list is impressive. All this could be fixed by a take-no-prisoners, kick-butt General Manager. This place has such great potential. The need a staff that cares and a manager to lead them. I know there is a University nearby that may have some aspiring students looking to gain valuable experience in the hotel/restaurant industry.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am a Penn State alum, and I attended a conference at the Penn Stater this week. The conference center is fantastic! Large, accommodating, and the food is fantastic. The hotel rooms, however, were not very clean. I understand that the hotel is undergoing renovations, but you can renovate a place and still keep the physical rooms clean. My towels had makeup on them (and therefore hadn't been washed and/or replaced). The coffee mugs had a thick layer of dust on them. The toiletries in the bathroom had been used! Hopefully, this is a situation that will be remedied soon. Also good to know about this hotel is that it is not within walking distance of campus, but there are buses and shuttles that will take you to and from campus and downtown.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 3rd floor, and it was quiet with a pretty good view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I was really impressed with the Penn Stater. I've eaten in their restaurant several times and have been at the facilities for conferences but this was my first time of staying at the hotel. During my stay there was remodeling going on inside.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and check in was easy.

My room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was large clean. The whole layout of the room was unique in a good way. It was interesting. Internet was available wired or wireless and the access was good and speed was good. The bed was comfortable.

The restaurant has outstanding food. I've enjoyed every visit to it. The only downside is that they really need to expand to accommodate more people comfortably. Lunch time is crowded. The variety and quality of food is great. The staff is mostly college students who are well trained and courteous. I always look forward to my meals in the restaurant.

Conference facilities are also very good.

Price was good for the quality of hotel.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is my 4th or 5th stay at the Penn Stater and I have always been pleased. I was here for a conference. I also brought my daughter and her friend so they could visit town while I was in meetings. We all had a great stay. The setting is ideal for a conference but also close to the PSU campus and town.. The meeting rooms are comfortable. We had a very enthusiastic men's gospel conference next door to our conference which interfered with our sound but aside from that, no complaints. The conference food is excellent. The room was clean and comfortable. Desk staff are extremely pleasant and helpful as are the housekeeping staff. I understand that many of the staff are PSU students who major in hotel managment and hospitality. We had the opportunity to eat at the tavern in the hotel and the food was also surprisingly good and inexpensive. My daughter enjoyed the pool. You do need to take the shuttle or drive to town. Its' a little out of the way which can be a plus if you don't want parking hassles or noise but a minus if you like to be in the center of everything.