Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area)
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have stayed at a few Country Inn & Suites that were failry dated. However my wife and I were going to be in State College for just one night and I had points to stay at this property. Glad we did. The hotel is nice and new. Everything larger than the typical CI&S. Up to date furnishings and decor. We had a suite, which had a separate bedroom, refridgerator, microwave and 2 flat screen TV's. Room was in the back and very quiet. The only complaint on the room was the AC which blows directly on the bed and cannot be adjusted. Breakfast was the standard fare. Only 2 miles to the University and on the less crowded side of town. A nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the 5th floor in the back. Nice and quiet, overlooking a forested area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spencer D

Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I can be very, very particular about where I stay. The country inn was beautiful! The front desk stay were helpful and friendly. The rooms were very clean and accommodating. Pool area was nice too. Would definitely return! Excellent!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Penshockey87
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My wife's family is from State College, so we travel there more than I would like. On our last trip we decided to give this newer hotel a shot, and I am glad we did. For what it is, it is a great, little hotel. The staff seems legitimately happy and eager to help, and that is rare now days. The rooms were a little smaller than I had expected, but they were clean and functional. The breakfast was great, hot, and had everything I needed/wanted to get my day going.

Hotels in this price and star rating are usually all about the same, but this is my new favorite in State College. It has, in fact, caused me to consider Country Inn & Suites when traveling to other cities.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BurtyD
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I would totally stay again. I was under the assumption this was right next to campus but it was 3 miles away, but it was spotless (and I play close attention to hotel cleanliness), it was very safe, plenty of parking, free breakfast 2 self serve washers and dryer and they always had cookies out and my kids were very happy about that. Plus the employees were all so happy! I will stay here again if we come to the area again!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank AdeTae
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed for 1 night while passing thru the area. Staff mentioned this hotel has been here about a year. To keep it short, the beds were comfortable and everything was clean. That's all it matters when you need a good night's rest and use of the bathroom. The breakfast was comparable to the residence inns with lots of selection and fresh fruits. The staff were very helpful, both in the dining room and at the check-in desk. Overall a very good stay. Highly recommended for state college area.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ToddNugent
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed here twice in July due to visiting Penn State. The hotel is nesandvery convenient to the campus...5 minutes down the road. The rooms were large,clean Ndcomfortable. The first night,I had trouble with the free internet,but the second stay, it worked without any difficulties. The room has all of the expected amenities ncluding a small refrigerator and microwave. The workout room included the essential equipment including antibacterial wipes to wipe down the equipment. The pool was small, but the pool room was very large.

The staff was very friendly, and the cookies, pretzels, and coffee service at the front desk are a nice touch.

We would stay here again. It offers value for the money.

The breakfast is fine, however, it is very congested in the corner the way the food is organized. It needs to be spread out more.

There are no food options within walking distance. You need to drive a couple of miles to campus or in the other direction to find food unless you want Damon's for ribs.

Room Tip: If you are on the second floor, you can walk up the stairs from the lobby instead of taking the elev...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stopped for a one night stay & without a reservation. I didn't realize the night I stayed was the day before thebJerrybSandusky trial verdict. All hotels except this were full. This hotel had one room left. The room was ok, no more. Tv picture was bad, Internet didn't work and breakfast buffet was worse than usual.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo