Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area)
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Gorgeous, newly updated rooms. Impeccably clean, full hot breakfast and very friendly staff. Perfect spot to stay as a family with young kids. Very quiet for sleeping. I normally don't enjoy staying at hotels, but this was so nice I didn't want to check out! It really felt like a vacation staying here.

Room Tip: We booked a queen suite, to divide the kids up for better rest
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank amthim
Karen M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words after staying at our hotel! We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to State College!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel was fine, and the staff was great. Apparently whoever manages the hotel, or the buffet, requires extra training in planning for a sold out facility. And its not like they didn't know at least a week a head of time that the place was full. If not for the disaster of the buffet, I would have given the place 4 or 5 stars.
We went down to the buffet breakfast at 945 AM on Sunday, April 15. This is well before closing of the buffet, at 1030 Apparently there was hardly anything left to eat. All the mixed fruit was gone, the waffles irons kept blowing out the circuit breakers, and could not be used. There was no coffee, unless you kept asking for the pots to be refilled. All the danish was gone. And I could go on and on. Only thing left was some bagels, muffins, and sausage. This was not the fault of the buffet staff. There where running around, trying to accommodate everyone, but appeared short of help. The hotel was full. EXTREMELY POOR PLANNING on the part of management. They knew the hotel was fill, but did nothing to make sure enough staff was working, or ample food was available. When we asked the staff, they said they had run out of all the above mentioned items, and there would be no more. So for $180 for one night, the price was way to high, and what was promised as far as a free buffet was a joke. My first stay here, and will probably be my last. I have stayed at numerous State College Hotels over they past 4 years, and never had encountered a buffet, where the food was gone 45 minutes before closing.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JinglesNewtown_Pa
Karen M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review regarding your recent stay with us.

On behalf of our entire staff here at Country Inns & Suites we apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at this hotel. I do realize we had some problems with the breakfast on the morning of your stay, and we are already working on adding another circuit for the waffle station so when we are busy that will not be a problem. In additon, we are constantly working with our staff to be better organized and prepared for our guests.

We appreciate the feedback and hope that upon your next visit, we can meet or exceed your expectations

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites this weekend while travelling to Penn State for a swim meet. Our reservation was booked under a swim team group. I didn't realize we were going to be staying in a brand new hotel property, so I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel, built in Oct. 2011, is conveniently located a few minutes from downtown and the university. There were plenty of restaurants nearby without the hassles of parking downtown.
The front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant. Our room and the hotel common areas were spotless. The lobby decor was warm and inviting. A hot buffet breakfast was included in the room rate. The perishable items on the breakfast buffet were all fresh. In fact, the scrambled eggs tasted fresher than I have come to expect at a hotel breakfast buffet. Immediately after we checked in and reached our room, the front desk staff called to make sure we were satisfied with our accommodations. What a nice touch! I would definitely stay at this property if I were in the Penn State area in the future. I liked the hotel so much; I joined their Rewards Program!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Karen M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments about your stay at our property. I'm happy that you enjoyed the hotel and our service, and look forward to meeting you in person the next time you visit State College!

Reviewed March 24, 2012

The entire team at "The Country Inn and Suites" was "Excellent".Amanda at the Front Desk went above and beyond to accommodate my family needs and I was also impressed with Craig "Superb" customer service skills, who offered to move his car so my husband could park his car closer to the hotel entrance! We "Enjoyed" our stay and highly recommend "The Country Inn and Suites" and look forward to staying there in the future!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Divapeart
Karen M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Thank you so much for your comments! We like to give our guests the feeling of "family" and give them the best costumer service we can! After all, that's what hospitality is all about! Thanks again and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I recently moved to State College, and stayed at the Country Inn and Suites for a few days until my furniture arrived. Clean, pleasant, and quiet rooms. Great breakfast. Outstanding staff and customer service. Excellent value for the money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Checklist
Karen M, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and the service the staff offered, and hope that you think of us if you have guests visiting you in the future! We'd love to be your extra bedroom for your out of town guests! Once again, thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a very nice hotel on East College Avenue. It is a new hotel and I have stayed at other hotels in and around state college. This hotel was a little bit cheaper than other hotels in the area. For the price, I was extremely satisfied. The hotel does not have a lot of dining options within walking distance of the htel but it is a great location for the Bryce Jordan and the football stadium. Downtown State college is just down the road from the hotel so it is not that much of a problem. The staff was great and they let me check out late after Thon weekend and did not charge me, even though it was several hours after check out time. It was truly appreciated. The rooms are a little small. We were in the regular room with 2 queen beds. It is just my husband and I so it was fine, but if you were with a family it may pay to reverse a suite. The shower pressure is not great, but it had a good shower head. The sink is in the bathroom - I personally like when it is outside the shower area. And not other mirror except in the bathroom which is commom problem with hotels. In the room safe which was also a bonus I did not expect! You could here when other rooms were entering or exiting their room but not much other noise. Because we were there for Thon weekend, we did not take advantage of the free breakfast. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CookieCahill
klmrace, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for your comments. We're glad you enjoyed our new hotel, and hopefully in the future we'll find a restaurant for the property in front of our building. I'm sure that will be appreciated by most of our overnight guests! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Attending our first THON weekend as parents of a PSU student, so a nice place and "comfortable" bed after standing each day was the wish. This new facility (new as of Oct. 2011) granted the wish. Quick check in and friendly folks at the front counter. The room itself was very nice. Just a traditional room (2 King beds) Worked well for 4 of us (wife & myself & 2 kids under 14). Microwave in the room and small fridge. Very comfortable beds and clean all around.
We had to run out to get seats at THON (which we couldn't sit in! The irony) so we did not take advantage of the FREE breakfast. It was a hit & run stay but I highly recommend due to it's newness and friendly staff. There are doors on each end you can access with room key which was helpful for a bit less walking with hands full at the end of the evening.
The thermostat was accurate which is not always the case in a hotel.

Room Tip: Honestly, the place is doing so well with keeping up with their newness that all the rooms I'm s...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JmRaze
klmrace, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, State College (Penn State Area), responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

It's great you were able to enjoy the big weekend in State College and particpate with THON. We're proud of the Students of PSU, and I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and it was comfortable for you! We hope you come visit us again in the future!