“Great healthy food in a nice environment.”

Chen's Mongolian Buffet
Ranked #42 of 240 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Mongolian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Zip:16801
State College, Pennsylvania
“Great healthy food in a nice environment.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband, daughter and I had a great healthy meal at Chen's. You get to select your fresh vegetables, add an egg, or rice, or noodles plus your meat and sauce and then the chef "cooks it hibachi style." The waitress delivers it to your table after it is cooked. This restaurant is never crowded, affordable ($45.00 for 3 people), and quiet. The food is great!

Visited July 2014

Altoona, Pennsylvania
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

First time ever at a Mongolian restaurant. I loved everything I tried. I even ate sushi for the first time. I like how you decide what you want and how it is going to taste. Thumbs up all the way.

• Visited July 2014
Sterling, Virginia
“Consistently good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Took the family back to reconfirm the experience -- you get exactly what you are paying for, and can control the ingredients and portions for those who have concerns on those topics. I will go back!

• Visited April 2014
State College
“Pleasant Surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

"Chen's Mongolian Buffet" is located on South Atherton Street in the building that used to house the "Backyard Burgers" less than 6 years ago - and something else in between.
My son and I like to try different ethnic cuisines, but we are not experts in Asian cooking. We had been to other restaurants before where you pick all the raw ingredients for your meal yourself, but we were intimidated by the vast variety of sauces and/or cooking methods to choose.
Our experience at "Chen's" was quite different. First of all one of the nice servers showed us the ropes, and after that it was a cinch. We filled our plates with a copious amounts of fresh vegetables, eggs, noodles, rice, fish, thinly sliced meats, spices like garlic or ginger, and we then added a bowl full of one of 9 sauces to our order. There was a description of each of them and we could have even mixed them if we wanted to. All of that was then cooked on an unusual round griddle.
We received our food in no time at all, but in the meantime we could have helped ourselves to 2 kinds of soup, sushi, salad with the fixings and even 2 or 3 kinds of dessert.
I am not normally a big eater, but because there were so many vegetables involved I actually was able to assemble and consume 3 plates full of goodies and I really perfected them to my taste towards the end. Both my son and I liked the Curry Sauce best. Obviously none of the veggies or meats contain any spices, so the curry flavor gave the whole dish a nice kick.
The Lunch Buffet cost us $8.25 per person and includes tea. I thought this was a good price, because we could have helped ourselves as often as we wanted, and there was a generous supply of all the items (including meats and fish) set out. We didn't see any children when we were there for a late lunch, but I think it would be fun for them to assemble all the ingredients for their meal themselves. This restaurant would also be good for friends sharing each other's culinary creations.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Reiselust1947
Newville, Pennsylvania
“We Love Mongolian Style Cooking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

On a trip to State College we decided to give this restaurant a try as we both love the Mongolian style cooking and the fact that you pick what is in and on your dish. The ingredients table was full of various fresh vegetables and different meats and lots of different sauce options.

They use a labeled piece of wood to identify each patron so when your dish is done it is brought to your table. It resembles a tongue depressor/Popsicle stick.

We both enjoyed it and agreed that when in the area we would visit again. They even honored the coupon I printed on line for $2 of a dinner bowl so we save $4.

• Visited November 2013