“Consistently good!”

Description: Zip:16801
Sterling, Virginia
“Consistently good!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Took the family back to reconfirm the experience -- you get exactly what you are paying for, and can control the ingredients and portions for those who have concerns on those topics. I will go back!

• Visited April 2014

State College
“Pleasant Surprise!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

"Chen's Mongolian Buffet" is located on South Atherton Street in the building that used to house the "Backyard Burgers" less than 6 years ago - and something else in between.
My son and I like to try different ethnic cuisines, but we are not experts in Asian cooking. We had been to other restaurants before where you pick all the raw ingredients for your meal yourself, but we were intimidated by the vast variety of sauces and/or cooking methods to choose.
Our experience at "Chen's" was quite different. First of all one of the nice servers showed us the ropes, and after that it was a cinch. We filled our plates with a copious amounts of fresh vegetables, eggs, noodles, rice, fish, thinly sliced meats, spices like garlic or ginger, and we then added a bowl full of one of 9 sauces to our order. There was a description of each of them and we could have even mixed them if we wanted to. All of that was then cooked on an unusual round griddle.
We received our food in no time at all, but in the meantime we could have helped ourselves to 2 kinds of soup, sushi, salad with the fixings and even 2 or 3 kinds of dessert.
I am not normally a big eater, but because there were so many vegetables involved I actually was able to assemble and consume 3 plates full of goodies and I really perfected them to my taste towards the end. Both my son and I liked the Curry Sauce best. Obviously none of the veggies or meats contain any spices, so the curry flavor gave the whole dish a nice kick.
The Lunch Buffet cost us $8.25 per person and includes tea. I thought this was a good price, because we could have helped ourselves as often as we wanted, and there was a generous supply of all the items (including meats and fish) set out. We didn't see any children when we were there for a late lunch, but I think it would be fun for them to assemble all the ingredients for their meal themselves. This restaurant would also be good for friends sharing each other's culinary creations.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Reiselust1947
Newville, Pennsylvania
“We Love Mongolian Style Cooking”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

On a trip to State College we decided to give this restaurant a try as we both love the Mongolian style cooking and the fact that you pick what is in and on your dish. The ingredients table was full of various fresh vegetables and different meats and lots of different sauce options.

They use a labeled piece of wood to identify each patron so when your dish is done it is brought to your table. It resembles a tongue depressor/Popsicle stick.

We both enjoyed it and agreed that when in the area we would visit again. They even honored the coupon I printed on line for $2 of a dinner bowl so we save $4.

• Visited November 2013
Sterling, Virginia
“Good Mongolian BBQ, With No Surprises”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Traditional Mongolian BBQ --- select items from a buffet line, pile the plate high with protein, starches, and vegetables, select a stir fry sauce, and the servers will return your meal to you once it has been cooked on the circular grill. Snack on quick-made sushi rolls while you wait for your meal to be delivered, and you can return to the buffet to select your ingredients as many times as you want. Good healthy options (be careful of which sauces you select), and tasty outcomes.

• Visited October 2013
Syosset
“Interesting concept”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had never been to this style restaurant. An all you can eat buffet where you pick the ingredients, spices and sauces and the food is cooked and brought to you. I totally enjoyed the experience and would love it if this type restaurant opened in my area.

Visited September 2013