“beautiful furnishings, good food”
Review of Rey Azteca

Rey Azteca
Ranked #9 of 244 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: Mexican
Willoughby, OH
“beautiful furnishings, good food”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

If you appreciate Mexican folk art, Rey Azteca is worth a visit to see the beautiful carved and gaily painted chairs and booths. There are many oil paintings on the walls as well, so it's easy to get in the mood for Mexican cuisine. As mentioned, the large basket of chips arrived warm on both of our visits, and the salsa was just the right degree of spicy. My husband's burrito with chicken fajita meat from the lunch menu (available for a small extra charge for dinner) was yummy, with grilled onions & peppers. I was a bit disappointed by my enchiladas and quesadilla, but enjoyed the beans and rice that came with it.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank JanWill

Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
“Gracious wait staff, quick service”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We were here for an early Saturday night supper. We didn't even finish the salsa & (warm) chips when our meal came. We liked the combo dinners where you get 2-3 items so you don't have to get just burritos or just tacos- unless you want too! Great selection of vegetarian dishes. Ample servings and food is hot (not overly spicy hot)- the server has an arm-long oven mitt with the platters lined up. Prices were very good. I don't think they have a bar, so it wasn't noisy in the dining areas. We will definitely come back.

• Visited January 2014
State College, Pennsylvania
“Mexico in Central PA - Sweetness!!!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Some things are authentic! Their cheese sauce that comes as a topper on things, is off the hook awesome. You will remember the taste until you get it again.
The Guacamole used has fresh avocados in it along with other fresh ingredients also making it insanely good.
I order there Supreme burrito or tex burrito every-time and I'm never disappointed (over 5 years). As for the other things on the menu I'm not sure as I have not had them.

Menu is also nice, it does not take an hour to read, unlike other restaurants. (these other restaurants are obliviously not too swift)

Decor - Nicer than 85% OF State College Restaurants, if you have a problem here than nothing will please you - just move to Mexico.

Upon seating tortillas and salsa placed in front of your noise = The salsa flavor is off the hook.

5/5 for burritos and cheese sauce with guacamole

• Visited November 2013
“Tex mex”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Not authentic I haven't tried other restaurants that serve Mexican food up at state, but I will continue my search for the real stuff here. It's a few steps up from Taco Bell. They probably use grade b beef not d but the price leap is huge. If you order something with cilantro tell them to go easy on that. They also load up on beans and skimp in meat

State College, Pennsylvania
“Authentic cuisine in warm atmosphere”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've been to this place only a small amount of times but the food is excellent and the atmosphere is so warm and welcoming! Prices are reasonable and they have a wide variety of delicious dishes. I enjoy this place and will definitely be going back!

• Visited October 2013