“Nice aesthetics, over-priced meals”

Carnegie Inn & Spa Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Carnegie Inn & Spa Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 255 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American, European, French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: CATA HP Route
Description: The Carnegie Inn & Spa is a 20 Room, AAA 4 Diamond Hotel operating a magnificant restaurant within it premise. The restaurant has been selected 7 years in a row as the Best Fine Dining and Most Romantic Dining in the area. Please call, or go to our website to make reservations as we use OpenTable. Where Every Occasion is a Special Occasion!
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Carnegie House has all of the aesthetic parts of an expensive restaurant down to a tee (which is apt since it overlooks the 9th? hole on Toftrees golf course). Carnegie House particularly likes pricing their food to reflect their aesthetics.

Unfortunately, the quality of the meal does not reflect the ambiance or cost. It was fine, but, as some other reviewers have noted, the prices do not reflect the food quality. My companion explained that the high price of the food was our "price for admission" into the nice lounge you wait at before being seated, the pleasant dining area, and the views of the course. If you don't mind over-priced food in exchange for these intangibles, Carnegie House is might be right up your alley. Me? I want a fifty-dollar steak to taste like it's worth fifty bucks.

And what's with the backlit menu and checks? They didn't conform with the restaurant environment that Carnegie House is trying very hard to create. Be who you are, Carnegie House! Leave the mod details to the Ale House!

Pete W, General Manager at Carnegie Inn & Spa Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Greetings MDD214,
Thank you for letting us know how we are doing. With your comments, we are able to see how we are doing. I have passed the comments along to the culinary team for their review.
As to the comment to the back lit menus, as we think they are unique, more importantly they serve a purpose as the Library Lounge you are first seated in when you arrive, is dim, as a library tends to be so the back lit menus do assist with seeing the print on the menus versus a menu you might find in a laminated jacket at some other eating establishment.
Thanks again and look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I try to have dinner here at least once every time we are in town. I would say it is hands down the most elegant restaurant in the State College area. The food is great and artfully presented and the servers are friendly and skilled in the art of service. An extensive wine list is fairly priced. On arriving one is seated in a lovely library with a fireplace and upholstered chairs chairs and couches for cocktails and for ordering dinner. Once dinner is ready you are seated in the dinning room. Expensive but worth it.

RGinTally

Hello RGinTally,
Thank you for your comments on your dining experience you had with us. We look forward to having you join us again when you are back in town. Please let us know if we can do anything for you for your next visit.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We ate dinner here during graduation weekend at Penn State. The atmosphere and service was very good, and I have no complaints about the quality of food. However, this is State College, Pa and not New York City or Chicago. A steak should not cost $49, nor should a piece of Chilean Sea Bass cost $48. I have no problem paying those kinds of prices when the quality of the food warrants it. Had the cost of the food been about 30% less I would rate this restaurant as very good. We had dinner the following evening at Zola New World Bistro and it was outstanding and much more reasonably priced.

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your dining experience. I have passed your comments along to the chef for discussion. I am sorry you did not have the experience we would hope you would as I can tell you, we are the only place in town that uses, for example, Certified Angus filets which are next in line to prime beef. We also have our sea bass flown in a few times a week from Hawaii, all of which lends to the expense. Again, we are discussing and would hope you would allow us to take care of you again.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We took an elderly relative for her birthday and it was a frustrating experience. The staff takes your order and keeps you in a sitting room until your food is ready to be served. The idea seems to be that you will order a number of drinks and appetizers while you wait the hour and a half to be seated. We don't drink and wanted to save our appetites for dinner so this was a very very long wait for us. Small appetizers are served, but no bread; nothing to tide you over for the long duration until you eat. When we were finally seated, the service did not improve much. It took FOREVER to get plates cleared. And, quite honestly, we almost skipped the birthday dessert because we all started to get fidgety.

The food was tasty but very expensive. I expect to see decent portions when the price is hefty and don't want to leave hungry. We were all disappointed in serving sizes.

The ambiance was nice. However, all other customers were seated at their tables at least 30 min ahead of us. The host turned the fireplace off and we felt forgotten. We finally asked someone at the front of the hotel if they could find out when we might be seated. At that point, we were finally taken to our table. It was hard to tell if there was a problem or if this is the norm.

I really hate to write a poor review but service needs to improve and portions need to increase or prices decrease. The redeeming factors are the quality of the entrees and the ambiance.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have cooked the same steaks that they serve as I was in a catering business and these were not too tasty, Very expensive menu. My wife loves the spa though.