“Great motel, Great Front Desk Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nittany Budget Motel

Nittany Budget Motel
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in State College
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great motel, Great Front Desk Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed at the Nittany Budget Motel on a recommendation from a friend. Clean, nice rooms. The gentleman at the front desk, Tom, was so helpful and friendly. Would definitely stay here again. Thanks Tom!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dottie800
Mandy E, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
It is so nice to hear your wonderful comments on our friendly staff and clean guestrooms. As the new General Manager, I will ensure that we will continue to deliver the same great service. See you on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed here two nights, on a fishing trip, at the end of October. It is on the south end of State College, but only a few minutes to downtown. It had everything we needed, very clean room, hot shower, comfortable bed, and cable tv. Staff was competent and friendly. There is a nice beer store inside the office area. And they deliver a continental breakfast to your room at a time that you designate. Things were very quiet here during our stay. Got more than I expected for the $59 price. We have stayed in many of these types of motels in over 30 years of taking similar fishing trips and this is right at the top of the list for the best one ever. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bt327
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
bt327,

Thank you for your review of our property and your stay with us. I greatly appreciate you providing your frame of reference and comparison of experiences with other properties during your extensive travels.

As a fly fisherman and overall outdoors enthusiast, I too look for these types of places when I travel - I look for exactly what you listed: comfort, cleanliness, a reasonable price and friendly helpful service.

For what it's worth, the late fall and winter fishing can be exceptional - if you find yourself suffering from cabin fever, consider a return visit.

Herminie, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

The first thing my wife and I noticed on entering our room at the Nittany Budget Motel was that it was clean. For most people this is a concern due to general sanitation and health issues, as well as to keep from being "grossed out." In our case, this is critical as my wife has significant allergies which leave her sinuses hypersensitive to what most people would consider even the mildest odors. The only scent we could detect was that room was cleaned and then closed. The carpets, bathroom, and shower were all clean. The motel is in a great location, just a few miles from Penn State, two Wal-Marts, and various other shopping and eating establishments. However, I have to say that my wife's favorite feature is that your continental breakfast is delivered to your room via a "breakfast nook," a compartment through the wall that is accessed from both sides. The outside is accessible only by staff. The inside is accessible only by the guest. She was pleased that we didn't have to clean up, get dressed, and walk around the outside of the building to get to breakfast. Instead, breakfast and her coffee just showed up, so we were free to eat breakfast in our jammies. We had very limited interaction with the staff, but those we did see were pleasant and helpful. Also, the only noise we heard was from outside, people opening and closing car doors, staff walking by (late morning), and so on.

Our stay was overall a good one, but there were a few things about the motel that I would say are "quirky. First, the front desk/check-in area is also the checkout counter for the on-premises "bottle shop." Second, when we checked in we were given a card to fill out for the continental breakfast. I expected to receive a new card with the breakfast the next morning, but we didn't. We received the same items for breakfast the following morning, so while I'm sure we could have gotten a new one if we asked, it's not automatic. This wasn't a big deal since it's a continental breakfast and our choices were only danishes, coffee and juice. There might have been a choice for cereal but I do not recall. Third, I asked for a wake up call at 7:00am on the first morning we were here. I continuted to receive it since I didn't ask it to be turned off. Again it wasn't a problem since I was up anyway, and this may be perfectly normal as I don't often ask for wake up calls.

Again, all in all it was a great stay. We are talking about making the State College trip an annual event, and we will definitely stay here each time without question.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Nature-Seer,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a descriptive review of your stay with us - it was certainly pleasant to read and I will be sure to share it with the staff and especially with Mary and Esther, our two room attendants responsible for the cleanliness you experienced!

I also appreciate your note of quirks, which we have become so accustomed to and are always worth a fresh look. As always, this is best provided by you, our customers.

You are correct - we do automatically repeat the breakfast order unless the guest informs us of a desired change. However, we will consider including a note in the breakfast basket to more clearly explain this and to let them know we can easily change their selections if desired.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to being a part of your annual visit to State College!

Kimberton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I found this place on here and liked how high it was rated despite its low price. I went up to State College for a non-football one-nighter, and I think this place is perfect for that, but I probably wouldn't stay there for more than one night honestly. The sheets on my bed looked like they were old because there were marks on them from years of use and the bed was very squeaky, making it tough to sleep. The bathroom was clean, but i do think they need to replace their toilet seats, because that had scratches and burn marks all over it. I also heard some squeaks in the walls, so it might mean mice, but I wasn't sure. Other than that, the staff was very friendly, had a complimentary breakfast delivered, and overall was generally clean, despite what I had said above.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear First Time Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your first stay with us.

Interestingly, your review is exactly the type I enjoy replying to most - constructive critique clearly demonstrates the legitimacy of the service provided by trip advisor and provides us with the most effective guidance in improving our product.

In our efforts to be "budget conscious," we sometimes wash a set of sheets one too many times, creating the threadbare appearance you noted. We have been working to cull out these clean but too worn sheets and I do apologize for this.

We replaced all of our box springs and mattresses in the last two years so we will check all of our bed frames for bent or loose fittings that may have caused the squeaking.

We will let our Ehrlich pest control technician know about your suspicion of mice - we do regular monthly preventive maintenance on our property and have not had any previous problems but always best to keep it this way!

Thank you again and we look forward to your next one night stay with us.

Shawnee On Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

A GPS smartphone helps to find the Nittany on the south edge of State College but once you're there you'll congratulate yourself on finding the cheapest-nicest-most unique place to stay in State College. The check in desk is inside a beer case store. The arcane laws of Pennsylvania say you can only sell beer by the case, except if you are an inn or hotel, in which case you can sell individual bottles. So the NIttany Motel serves as a legitimizer for the beer store, as well as being clean, well kept up, and quiet. The best is yet to come in the morning. When you check in you will be asked what time you want breakfast delivered. Yes, delivered at no charge. Each room has a small pass- through built into the wall, protected by a lock latch. Your breakfast (coffee, bagels, danish etc) is placed in the pass-through from the outside at the appointed hour, you open from the inside and grab it. The same pass-through idea originated on Pullman overnight sleeping trains back in the first part of the 20th Century. The car porter took your shoes at night to be polished, and returned them before you woke up all clean and bright. Shoes were nice but breakfast is better. And check out the wifi password. The night we stayed it was the name of the fired and disgraced Penn State coach who was involved in the infamous sex scandal. Very imaginative idea that goes with everything about the Nittany.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RobertitoL
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear RobertitoL,

Thank you for the complimentary review AND for the historical background on our breakfast service portal - as I so often say, "learn something new every day!"

It sounds like you have found your "home away from home," when visiting the State College area and that is what we try to provide.

We look forward to your next stay with us!

croydon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great price, employees very nice. Had a late check in and it was no problem. Would definitly stay again. They even have a complimentary breakfast they bring to your room. Very clean and quite motel. Very close to Penn's Cave and University. Easy to find.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dawnscookie
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Dawnscookie,

We are happy to hear you felt well served during your recent stay with us.

Thank you for taking time to post your review and for pointing out features of greatest significance to you. I think these observations are helpful for others as they make their lodging decisions.

We will do everything to continue providing exceptional service, pleasant rest and at an affordable price.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This place is a gem. It is out of the way, quiet and clean, unlike the hotel in the area we had left due to bugs. The kitchen has a refrigerator that had ample space for our groceries, and the bathroom size was more generous in size than average. The breakfast delivered to your room, discreetly delivered through a service cubby, adds a very nice touch.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sallybean2
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear SallyBean2,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your stay with us. Positive reviews are always pleasant to read but I particularly appreciate yours because I was away on vacation during the last two weeks of July.

I very much believe in the team concept and cannot say how proud I am of my staff and their conduct - so, on their behalf, I will say thank you for your kind comments! What you noted about our guest rooms and breakfast are a direct product of their efforts and it always pleases me to see their work recognized - I will be sure to share your comments with them.

General Mananger