“A great, friendly, inexpensive place to stay”

Nittany Budget Motel
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have stayed here twice. Staff is very nice- they even called me to ask for my preference in bed-size. it is modest looking. Clean rooms with large desk area. Flat screen TV. No coffee maker BUT they deliver breakfast to your room, anytime you like. It is free and limited, but very nice.

Internet works well. Near a good restaurant ($$$)and a Subway. I was/am very happy to stay here.

The perimeter HVAC unit was loud (as most are) and is the only issue I found lacking.

Room Tip: All rooms on ground floor. All seem fine.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking time to post your review.

We value your feedback as it guides our service efforts and we appreciate your sharing about the features you found notable.

Our I.T. Support Personnel, one of whom is our assistant manager, work continuously to maintain our wireless capability and they appreciate your note.

When travelling, it is always nice to have dining options conveniently located and we are happy to have Gigi’s Restaurant and Subway State College for neighbors. We also enjoy their food as well!

We apreciate your thoughtful comments regarding the nature of heating and air conditioning units –something I too have noted when staying in a variety of different hotels. We will soon be doing our spring preventive maintenance on all units and find this helps, both in function and noise level.

Thank you again for returning to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place has a beer store in the office and there is a constant flow of customers. If you want a quiet room, it is best to ask for one at the rear side of the motel. A room with two double beds is in the $60+ dollar range.

The room condition was a little more run-down than I expected from the previous Tripadvisor reviews, but these holes in the walls and chipping paint areas didn't affect the quality of sleep, so I'm not going to make a big deal about these.

The complimentary breakfast was very basic, and was delivered to the room in a basket through a "milk-delivery" type door. The room keys are the old-metal type (no card keys).

If budget is your biggest concern, this is a good choice. If you are looking for a modern hotel, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms around the back
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank flintjarvis
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property.
We have found these to be valuable tools in guiding our progress and continued education.

It is always good to be aware of room location in any establishment as it relates to your needs. Some of our repeat guests are heavy sleepers and enjoy having close proximity to the office. Others prefer the rooms on the back side of the building, for the reasons you have noted. For reference, please see the “Floor Plan” listed on our web site under the “Amenities” tab: http://www.lioncountrylodging.com/nittanybudget/images/floorplan.gif

I apologize for your experience with our renovations in progress and appreciate your providing the opportunity to explain.

The holes and chipping paint noted are the result of phase one of installation of new head boards and bed side tables in all of our guest rooms. The removal of the old headboards and tables, which were mounted on the walls, has left the remnant evidence noted.

Being 75 – 90 percent occupied every night has limited our ability to quickly address this; however, our contractor has been working on rooms each week to affect these repairs as promptly as availability allows. Each week will see 3 to 5 more rooms repaired and we will continue to work diligently until complete.

We are happy to note your satisfaction with the quality of your sleep – we completed the installation of new mattresses in 2012 toward this end. Additionally we added flat screen televisions in all guest rooms and new carpeting in many of the rooms as well.

Positive customer experience when selecting lodging balances between customer’s expectations and the nature of the property chosen. I think your advice regarding this is quite reasonable and our management company’s represented properties cover the spectrum and include Hilton Garden Inn, Days Inn, Quality Inn, Super 8 and the independent Carnegie Inn and Spa.

Thanks again for your time and for choosing the Nittany Budget Motel for your lodging needs.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

This past weekend was my second time staying at the Nittany Budget Motel. While it is of course not the fanciest place to stay in State College, it is a great value!!! I have enjoyed it much more than other hotels I have stayed in while in State College. It is clean and comfortable and has everything you need for a weekend trip. You also get a free little breakfast! The staff is the best part about staying here. They are super friendly and take good care of their guests. GREAT customer service! This is definitely a place I will continue to return to while visiting my Alma mater!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for kind comments and for taking the time to post your review.

As a small independent property, we greatly value our wonderful guests who so kindly promote us as their way of saying thank you for the value and service we strive to provide. We are pleased to hear of your experience over this past weekend. In particular, I am proud to hear your glowing review of the staff and your satisfaction with the service they provided - I am truly fortunate to work with wonderful people like Segun, Mel and Tom, our regular weekend team.

Rest assured, we will continue working to improve what we offer, thus increasing the value provided to you, our guests. For example, we completed the installation of new beds and flat screen televisions in our guest rooms this past fall. Additionally, we installed new carpeting in the 10 rooms with the oldest and most warn carpet. For this year, we have begun planning the upgrade of additional decor features.

Thank you again for your review and we truly look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Clean, spacious, well-equipped at a very reasonable price. If you're a non-smoker, make sure to specify a no-smoking room. The others are like walking into an ash tray. Staff is great and there is a terrific restaurant across the parking lot.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your helpful suggestions to others who utilize this resource in making informed lodging selections.

During our busiest periods, our smoking permitted rooms are often the last available rooms and when talking with potential guests, we stress these rooms do have a smoking odor, even after our cleaning process, which includes the use of an ozone machine.

We maintain four of our twenty-three rooms as smoking permitted as a way of serving all guests and because we believe it also minimizes the occurence of smoking in our non-smoking rooms.

We appreciate the noted observation because it highlights a very good reason for making reservations as far in advance as is practical. Doing so better ensures the availability of non-smoking rooms.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and for your kind comments.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was amazed at the value of this motel. Very low cost yet the rooms were large, comfortable, well equipped, and clean. The service was excellent. The office is in a convenience store where you can get everything you need. Free ice. Free continental breakfast that is delivered at the time you request. Room had a good desk, couch, king bed, flat screen TV, kitchenette with fridge and microwave, nice bathroom and even a sitting area with a couch. Air conditioned. Good location in State College yet quiet too. Good restaurant next door. All for about $50/night for 2 people! I would stay here again. Totally unexpected for the outside appearance, the "budget" in the name, etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kara W
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us.
I enjoy looking at the spectrum of reviews we have received thus far and look forward to continued improvement. We will always strive to consistently provide excellent lodging at an affordable price and value your input as a critical component in this process.

As we try to always represent ourselves honestly, I need to note not all of our rooms have the flat screen TV sets (yet) but it is one area we are continuing to upgrade as we are able. We do appreciate hearing the change has been noted and well received.

Thank you again and we look forward to your future visits.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have stayed here several times on business and have been pleased in the past. The internet speeds are very good - and anyone who travels for business will appreciate that. I can get connected and work without worrying about connection drops, slow speeds and weak signals. Some bigger hotels could take a lesson from the NBM on this point.

The rooms are clean and there have been new TVs installed since I was there last,...but I didn't even turn mine on. A few updates that would be good and fairly inexpensive are new shower curtains and bedspreads. More expensive would be updated beds and towels/washcloths. Unfortunately, half of the towels/hand towels/washcloths had a stain on them and felt "thin", or worn.

Also, unfortunate timing on my part found an increased rate from the normal. The usual rate is great, the $75 (special event date I guess) I paid was a little more than I liked.

The breakfast is somewhat of a novelty. Fill out the slip and it is delivered to the cubby. The juices and coffee are fine, but the food choices are limited - and I understand the logistics they face without a room they can devote to a continental breakfast. But a cold bagel with cream cheese, honestly, doesn't work for me. You can choose a pastry as well, but I never have.

One more thing I can give them a shout out about...power strips. There is one on the desk and one next to the bed. I use a CPAP at night and at other hotels I always have to either unplug the lamp or the clock. Not here. Thank you for those. Such a simple, inexpensive addition,...yet so nice.

Room Tip: There is not an exercise area, though there is a YMCA you can use 1.5 miles away. I found a lot of t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Reviews from our guests provide one of our very best tools to improve what we offer our guests.
Of course we greatly appreciate your specific positive comments and helpful tips, providing useful information for those using Trip Advisor. For our purposes, I place even greater value on constructive notes regarding areas for improvement:
1. Shower curtains – we will have fresh curtains installed before the end of the month, as we do have back stock of these.
2. Beds – we have already begun an incremental update of our beds based on guest identified need. We replaced two at the end of 2011 and have replaced three thus far this year. Though this addresses all rooms thus far identified specifically by our guests, we have also planned proactively for replacing additional beds before the end of 2012. If you would like to provide the unit number you occupied during your most recent stay, we will be happy to identify this room as a priority.
3. I apologize for any stained towels or washcloths missed in our laundering and housekeeping process – thinness of worn material can also create the appearance of discoloring or stain. We will spend the next few days examining all of our current on shelf stock more closely for any soiled items and eliminating notably worn ones. Though we are a budget property, we can take that only so far before it negatively affects our guests’ experience. Above all else, we strive to be exceptionally clean and neat.
4. Breakfast – Thank you for both the compliment of our delivered breakfast, as well as providing your satisfaction level related to the breakfast. We have discussed ways we might revamp our breakfast offerings. We have yet to do so, as we are not clear on what exactly guests are most interested in having. One idea considered is to partner with an actual restaurant to offer some sort of “premium” breakfast offering. For some guests, the extra expense might be deemed acceptable if they could receive delivery of this premium offering. Your feedback brings this idea back into active focus for consideration.
5. Rate – thank you for your considered response regarding the rate charged during this stay versus other stays. Like all lodging and travel entities, our rates do vary dependant upon demand. As you mentioned, our “normal” rates are, as some of our guests have noted, “ridiculously” low. Though such low rates do create certain challenges for us, we try to always provide a truly economical option for travelers not interested in the “bells and whistles” that come with the significantly higher associated rates.
The weekend of your stay was an exciting combined double event – the Central PA Festival of the Arts (State College) and the Peoples’ Choice Arts Festival (Boalsburg). Though our rate did increase to $75 for Friday and Saturday nights, it provides an excellent example of the way we consistently strive to still offer the economic alternative. A report of rates for 17 State College hotels and motels for the nights of July 13 and 14 shows a rate range of $119 to $199 per night.
We greatly appreciate your insightful comments and the opportunity provided to demonstrate our ongoing efforts to improve what we do. Such conversations render a great service to future visitors too by providing valuable insight regarding the guest’s perspective on the relative value of the service rendered.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

When wife and I checked we were greeted by a ver nice out going young lady. She checked us in and gave us a breakfast slip to fill out for breakfast which was unexpected. We went to are room was very clean and big. Even though we know we had gotten a smoking room the smell of smoke was overwelming we knew this and brought air freshner with us. This was only down fall for the room. I feel they should be non smoking and let the smokers smoke out side. Only other down fall when we returned are breakfast slip we were met with a very abrassive older lady that seems like she didnt want no part of the breakfast slip. When we checked out we had the nice young lady that checked us in so that made up for the older lady. S o if you need a good clean affordable motel to stay give them a try you wont go wrong.

Room Tip: This motel is about 2 miles outside STATE COLLEGE very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrcook322
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and for your constructive feedback.

As a non-smoker, I certainly understand your suggestion.

We have a total of 23 rooms, with 19 designated non-smoking and 4 designated smoking permitted. Having rooms designated for each preference has proven useful in maintaining our non-smoking rooms by alleviating the temptation to smoke in those designated non-smoking.

Thank you too for describing your experiences with two of our front desk staff personnel.
I have used your notes from the customer comment card you filled out to address this with both guest service agents. I counseled the clerk whose body language you found abrasive and we are working to ensure this is not repeated.

I am also happy to note your positive experience with our other desk staff personnel and have shared your compliment with her to positively reinforce this behavior.

We take great pride in our efforts to provide exceptional service and opportunities like this are how we have continued to improve.

Thank you again for your patronage and we will look forward to your next stay with us!