“Friendly staff, great location and economical!”

Nittany Budget Motel
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have stayed here several times on business and have been pleased in the past. The internet speeds are very good - and anyone who travels for business will appreciate that. I can get connected and work without worrying about connection drops, slow speeds and weak signals. Some bigger hotels could take a lesson from the NBM on this point.

The rooms are clean and there have been new TVs installed since I was there last,...but I didn't even turn mine on. A few updates that would be good and fairly inexpensive are new shower curtains and bedspreads. More expensive would be updated beds and towels/washcloths. Unfortunately, half of the towels/hand towels/washcloths had a stain on them and felt "thin", or worn.

Also, unfortunate timing on my part found an increased rate from the normal. The usual rate is great, the $75 (special event date I guess) I paid was a little more than I liked.

The breakfast is somewhat of a novelty. Fill out the slip and it is delivered to the cubby. The juices and coffee are fine, but the food choices are limited - and I understand the logistics they face without a room they can devote to a continental breakfast. But a cold bagel with cream cheese, honestly, doesn't work for me. You can choose a pastry as well, but I never have.

One more thing I can give them a shout out about...power strips. There is one on the desk and one next to the bed. I use a CPAP at night and at other hotels I always have to either unplug the lamp or the clock. Not here. Thank you for those. Such a simple, inexpensive addition,...yet so nice.

Room Tip: There is not an exercise area, though there is a YMCA you can use 1.5 miles away. I found a lot of t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Reviews from our guests provide one of our very best tools to improve what we offer our guests.
Of course we greatly appreciate your specific positive comments and helpful tips, providing useful information for those using Trip Advisor. For our purposes, I place even greater value on constructive notes regarding areas for improvement:
1. Shower curtains – we will have fresh curtains installed before the end of the month, as we do have back stock of these.
2. Beds – we have already begun an incremental update of our beds based on guest identified need. We replaced two at the end of 2011 and have replaced three thus far this year. Though this addresses all rooms thus far identified specifically by our guests, we have also planned proactively for replacing additional beds before the end of 2012. If you would like to provide the unit number you occupied during your most recent stay, we will be happy to identify this room as a priority.
3. I apologize for any stained towels or washcloths missed in our laundering and housekeeping process – thinness of worn material can also create the appearance of discoloring or stain. We will spend the next few days examining all of our current on shelf stock more closely for any soiled items and eliminating notably worn ones. Though we are a budget property, we can take that only so far before it negatively affects our guests’ experience. Above all else, we strive to be exceptionally clean and neat.
4. Breakfast – Thank you for both the compliment of our delivered breakfast, as well as providing your satisfaction level related to the breakfast. We have discussed ways we might revamp our breakfast offerings. We have yet to do so, as we are not clear on what exactly guests are most interested in having. One idea considered is to partner with an actual restaurant to offer some sort of “premium” breakfast offering. For some guests, the extra expense might be deemed acceptable if they could receive delivery of this premium offering. Your feedback brings this idea back into active focus for consideration.
5. Rate – thank you for your considered response regarding the rate charged during this stay versus other stays. Like all lodging and travel entities, our rates do vary dependant upon demand. As you mentioned, our “normal” rates are, as some of our guests have noted, “ridiculously” low. Though such low rates do create certain challenges for us, we try to always provide a truly economical option for travelers not interested in the “bells and whistles” that come with the significantly higher associated rates.
The weekend of your stay was an exciting combined double event – the Central PA Festival of the Arts (State College) and the Peoples’ Choice Arts Festival (Boalsburg). Though our rate did increase to $75 for Friday and Saturday nights, it provides an excellent example of the way we consistently strive to still offer the economic alternative. A report of rates for 17 State College hotels and motels for the nights of July 13 and 14 shows a rate range of $119 to $199 per night.
We greatly appreciate your insightful comments and the opportunity provided to demonstrate our ongoing efforts to improve what we do. Such conversations render a great service to future visitors too by providing valuable insight regarding the guest’s perspective on the relative value of the service rendered.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

When wife and I checked we were greeted by a ver nice out going young lady. She checked us in and gave us a breakfast slip to fill out for breakfast which was unexpected. We went to are room was very clean and big. Even though we know we had gotten a smoking room the smell of smoke was overwelming we knew this and brought air freshner with us. This was only down fall for the room. I feel they should be non smoking and let the smokers smoke out side. Only other down fall when we returned are breakfast slip we were met with a very abrassive older lady that seems like she didnt want no part of the breakfast slip. When we checked out we had the nice young lady that checked us in so that made up for the older lady. S o if you need a good clean affordable motel to stay give them a try you wont go wrong.

Room Tip: This motel is about 2 miles outside STATE COLLEGE very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mrcook322
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you for your kind words and for your constructive feedback.

As a non-smoker, I certainly understand your suggestion.

We have a total of 23 rooms, with 19 designated non-smoking and 4 designated smoking permitted. Having rooms designated for each preference has proven useful in maintaining our non-smoking rooms by alleviating the temptation to smoke in those designated non-smoking.

Thank you too for describing your experiences with two of our front desk staff personnel.
I have used your notes from the customer comment card you filled out to address this with both guest service agents. I counseled the clerk whose body language you found abrasive and we are working to ensure this is not repeated.

I am also happy to note your positive experience with our other desk staff personnel and have shared your compliment with her to positively reinforce this behavior.

We take great pride in our efforts to provide exceptional service and opportunities like this are how we have continued to improve.

Thank you again for your patronage and we will look forward to your next stay with us!

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Simple clean and great for the budget especially when visiting your child in PSU. Bring your own hair dryer and toiletries , they only supply bar soap. Workers are always friendly and it was very quiet the two times I stayed.

Room Tip: I like that you can pick the room you want to stay in. I have stayed in both the King and the Double...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank beachpotatoenc
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post another review!
As manager, I appreciate being able to "see" we are achieving a certain amount of consistency in providing excellent service.

Also, thank you for the provided travel tips - for your information and for any future Nittany Budget guests, we do have shampoo, hair dryers, irons and ironing boards all available in the office.
We do not charge for any of these items.
Having these items available on a request basis is one example of the small but significant ways we manage our costs as a small budget property and, in turn, maintain such reasonable rates.

Thank you again for your kind comments!

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Mid Feburary and I had to travel to State College for an adult weekend class. Everything close was booked, but I found this small budget hotel a few miles from town. Upon exterior appearance of the motel, it looks good. It's your typical travel motel.
The office is located in a beer store. They call it a bottle store. I had never heard that term before, but I was pretty sure I knew what they meant. I checked in and the staff was very friendly. I had booked a handicap room on the end of the strip hoping that it would be very quiet. I was not disappointed, the room was very quiet! A great place to study.
Cons: Well almost every place has cons. This room was no exception. I think this was the most worn out bed I have ever tried to sleep in. The box spring was collapsed and the matress was about as bad. I am talking about collapsed and there is nothing on the bed. It was definately time for a new bed!!
The room was semi-clean There was a countertop where you could sit and do typical office work. The tv was plugged into one of the outlets located next to the countertop. I am not joking when I say it had enough dust on it that I swear it was not dusted in over 6 months. I am talking right out in the open, not down near the floor.
The next thing I noticed was heavy cob (spider) webs on on the wall. Not your typical spider web that anyone can have, but webs that were full of dut! Not been touched in years probalby. This is just unacceptable!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rice_4_me
ScottMcKee, General Manager at Nittany Budget Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience.

We strive to exceed our customers’ expectations and want to assure you we have addressed your concerns.

I have met with our housekeeping staff to review daily cleaning procedures. Our annual AAA Inspection completed earlier this month complimented the cleanliness of our rooms though we can always find ways to improve our efforts.

Following inspection, we are ordering a new bed and box spring for the room in question. As a budget property, we do not have the resources to replace all of our beds at the same time. We are grateful for customer feedback, as it assists us in prioritization.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your experience. It provides us the opportunity to improve in our efforts to offer exceptional stays for you and for all future guests.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

We stayed here on a last-minute situation and were very pleased. The facilities were clean and quiet, the staff friendly and helpful, they are very dog-friendly (becoming more difficult in many places), and also found their Wi-Fi service fast and problem-free. Their price was quite reasonable and the delivered breakfast the next morning was excellent. Absolutely no problems -- would recommend anyone to stay here !!

Room Tip: We stayed right next to the check-in area and it was nice and quiet, so assume that they are all go...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thyngsd
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We can honestly say that we have never come across friendlier, more accommodating management! And what a value! It's dog-friendly too. Our room was clean and unbelievably spacious! We had a king-size bed, a microwave, a fridge, lots of dresser and desk/counter space, a love seat, four chairs! And there was still lots of free floor space. (Just ask our large Newfoundland dog.) We had free wireless and a Continental breakfast was delivered directly to our room at a time of our choosing! You can be sure we'll return whenever we're in the area!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank flipnewf
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The staff was super friendly and attentive. We stayed for a week for 7-day mountain bike race, so we enjoyed the air conditioning and cable TV while escaping the PA heat wave when we were not racing. The rooms are nothing fancy, but they are clean and comfortable for the price. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business