“from university cows to your cone”
Review of Berkey Creamery

Berkey Creamery
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in State College
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed February 24, 2013

OK, I like ice cream (who doesn't?) We visited Penn State for admitted students day on a really cold February weekend, and I wasn't sure any ice cream place would be worth stopping in. I was wrong. A friendly student pointed us in the direction of the Creamery and said to park in the adjacent lot and "leave your lights flashing". We pulled into the parking deck and saw exactly what she meant (free 30 minute parking) and found the Creamery. Upon seeing the very long line I figured we were on to something good. The line moves quickly, and staff knows what they are doing. The butter pecan was awesome. The portions are huge (husband and daughter had the pb swirl). Even though I was full, I finished the whole thing on the way to our hotel. Some reviewers have complained they won't mix flavors, but it makes sense given the crowds. Bottom line--do not miss this place if you are in the area. BTW, the dining halls at Penn State serve this ice cream. I tried the peachy Paterno at lunch the next day, and it is my new favorite. Oh my.

1  Thank Dante81
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed February 23, 2013

There is great history in the Berkey Creamery. I'm told that Ben and Jerry learned how to make ice cream from Penn State. The great thing about this place is that you pay half of what you would at Ben and Jerry's and get twice as much. Most normal people can share one. The quality is really good and they maintain the place very well. It is always clean. When you come to visit your kids or friends or come to attend a game or concert, stop by. You'll enjoy it.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Premium ice cream and dairy products produced from University's own herd of dairy cows. WPSX Coffee Break and the black walnut frozen yogurt are my favorites.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you leave here without having this ice cream you are not getting the full effect of the university. The chocolate is to die for. They say Cow to cone in 72 hours. It tastes like it. Also get a few pints to take home over dry ice. They will ask you how many hours of travel you have till you get the ice cream home and according to what you say that's how much dry ice they put over your ice cream pints. I suggest to shave 30% off the time otherwise when you get home you will need an ice pick or a blow torch just to bring the ice cream up to a temperature that is even remotely possible to think of using an ice cream scoop. Enjoy

1  Thank Christian M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Outstanding ice cream and more flavors than you could count. You can get a cup or a cone, or they'll even hook you up with a travel bag and dry ice to take a quart or two home.