Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Econo Lodge Motel(Bellefonte)
Good 3.5/5
Super 8 State College(State College)
Good 3.5/5
Residence Inn State College(State College)
Very Good 4/5
Courtyard State College(State College)
Autoport(State College)
Good 3.5/5
All reviewsnittany mallbest westernspenn statewafflesuniversity parkpool and hot tubbreakfast was excellentrefrigerator and microwaveroom was largeroom keyfront desk clerknice hotelthe hotel staffroom was very clean and comfortablethe breakfast areastay there againa great stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I was planning a trip to Penn State for interviews with my son. I went right with the #1 pick on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed and don't plan on returning. Here's my review:

First the Positives:
Looked very new, everything was very clean and orderly. Carpeting and hallways were fresh and tidy. The staff was outrageously polite and helpful. The room was one of the best I have been in for this level of hotel. Two QUEEN size beds, plenty of room space, a mini fridge and microwave! Bathroom was clean and had everything I needed. I went with the recommendations of others and requested a top floor, end of hall room. It was certainly away from any elevator noise, but I don't think it would have been much anyway as the elevator is tucked around a corner. As for the howling wind, that was another story for noise. Breakfast was very good with a wide variety of cereals, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, juices and coffees. The breakfast help was very nice and helpful as well - especially when it came to making the fresh waffles!

Now the Negative:
On arrival and getting out of my car, there was a horrible stench in the air. The best I can describe it was that it smelled like wet boxes that have been sitting around for days in the sun, a pungent and sickening odor. Now I am not stranger to funny smells, and especially nears farms - I know what cow manure smells like. This was nothing like that, nor did it smell like any fertilizer I have ever smelled. It almost seemed like it was from garbage. The worse part yet was that this odor permeated into the hotel and in our room. I smelled it ALL night long. This smell was no where to be found when we got on campus at Penn State so it had to be local to the hotel.

The second (and for me the MOST annoying) was the door noise. You would think that in a newer hotel, they would have doors that close securely and QUIETLY. The doors here not only slam, but they don't shut, so you literally have to yank it closed. I kept hearing doors close all night long, the last one was around 2:30 am. Now this was a Wednesday night, so they were far and few between, but I can only imagine it on a football weekend with rowdy folks coming and going all hours of the night - and at 2-3x the price. While the hotel has no control over rude or inconsiderate guests, hallway conversations are heard easily through the walls, as are, room to room conversations. I am a light sleeper, so needless to say, I got very little sleep between the doors and smell. Ear plugs are my only remedy, but frankly, if the building was designed right, and if guests were at least considerate, I wouldn't need them.

Overall, the amenities of the hotel were outstanding, and if the smell is gone on your visit and you can tolerate noise, then you will love this hotel. For me though, I am on to trying #2 on the tripadvisor list. It looks like my son will be going to Penn State, so I'll have four years to review the list of hotels in the area!

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid noise from rooms above, but it probably won't matter. Doors closing on other floors can be hear throughout hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cubmasterbill
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

We are glad to see that you had some very nice comments about the hotel. However, we are sorry to hear about the problems that occured during your stay. We would hope that you would try using us again. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss these problems further, I would be more than happy to talk to you. We appreciate all of our guests feedback.
Look forward to talking to you.
Janette

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Recently stayed one night while visiting Penn State. The front desk staff were super helpful and friendly. For example, when we asked about local restaurants, they gave us a five page printout of local restaurants, from family restaurants to elegant restaurants, and there were even helpful comments, such as "Rated most health-conscious restaurant in the area". That printout was so helpful to us!

The room (2 Queen beds) was very comfortable and I really liked the scented toiletries in the bathroom. The beds had lots of pillows. Wifi worked well.

The breakfast was displayed nicely and the woman working the area clearly took pride in keeping it well stocked and clean. She watched me taking scrambled eggs and potatoes, and she then encouraged me to try the sausages. "They're turkey sausage", she said. She actually looked like she would be disappointed if I didn't try them! (so of course, I took some). In truth, the potatoes and sausages weren't all that great, but overall, the breakfast experience was fine.

There was lots of parking and the busy center worked well when I wanted computer access. I used the hot tub. It was large and at a perfect 100 degrees. It was absolutely heavenly.

Overall, an excellent experience, and I would quickly stay at the Best Western again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We hope that other future guests will find this information valuable. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel was great in almost every way. Outside is very well maintained and the lobby is very inviting. The front desk people are friendly and very helpful. There was a mix up with putting in what rooms were clean or just refreshed and they quickly resolved the problem and were as apologetic as friendly and welcoming. The room had a microwave and refrigeratior in it and had a nice flat screen tv. This one is definitely one I would come back to!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

The hotel is fairly new and clean. It has all of the basics;indoor pool, fitness center, free wifi in room, and free breakfast. The pool is nice for kids, but not something that could be used for laps. The fitness center is pretty basic; two treadmills, one elliptical, and a universal. No stationary bikes. There was a good selection of food for breakfast. The wifi seemed reasonably fast. The only negative was the cheap paper plates. The hotel seemed pretty quiet, but then there wasn't much happening in town.

• Stayed: February 2012

Thank you for the nice, honest review. We always appreciate seeing good ways to improve and will keep your suggestions in mind. I am glad that you recommend us to other travelers during their stay in Happy Valley and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to State College.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Rooms are large with lbeautiful appointments. I especially like that this hotel is so environmentally friendly. Green without any decrease in quality.

• Stayed: February 2012
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Thank you for all the great feedback. We really hope to see you again in the future.