“Recommend for visits to State College” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN PLUS University Park Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in State College
GreenLeadersSilver level
South Pole
“Recommend for visits to State College”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

The hotel is fairly new and clean. It has all of the basics;indoor pool, fitness center, free wifi in room, and free breakfast. The pool is nice for kids, but not something that could be used for laps. The fitness center is pretty basic; two treadmills, one elliptical, and a universal. No stationary bikes. There was a good selection of food for breakfast. The wifi seemed reasonably fast. The only negative was the cheap paper plates. The hotel seemed pretty quiet, but then there wasn't much happening in town.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
bwupsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Thank you for the nice, honest review. We always appreciate seeing good ways to improve and will keep your suggestions in mind. I am glad that you recommend us to other travelers during their stay in Happy Valley and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to State College.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Rooms are large with lbeautiful appointments. I especially like that this hotel is so environmentally friendly. Green without any decrease in quality.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
bwupsales, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Thank you for all the great feedback. We really hope to see you again in the future.
Canton Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is what other hotels should aspire to!
While traveling from Michigan to NYC, I used the coupon from the discount publication given to me at the Pa. tourist welcome center with a recommendation from the attendant there.
Upon arrival, I knew this would be something special.
Staff is warm and welcoming like speaking to neighbors.
Rooms are spacious, spotless and with every amenity imaginable.
The colors and decor are different and inspiring.
This "green" establishment is innovative as your room key dictates the heat and lights upon entering by simply placing the card in a box on the wall. Energy is not wasted on heating unoccupied rooms. By the time you get settled, you are warm and toasty.
The work out facility, hot tub and pool are first rate and the breakfast was plentiful, large in selection and presented beautifully. I ate more than usual.
Located off I-80 just south on 99, this is worth the drive as this feels like a 5 star hotel!
Fine dinner selections nearby, fuel and even a car wash.
The rolling countryside provides beauty and quiet for a weary traveler.
Only 2 years old, but looks like they opened yesterday.
If you find yourself traveling in this area, make this your destination hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor for a nice view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank oxengirl
Thank you for such a detailed review to help future guests. We really take a lot of pride in remaining number one on Trip Advisor and it is people like you taking time out of their already busy lives to help us. We always love to hear such great things.
Cinnaminson, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Went up to the Joe Paterno's funeral and stayed at this hotel. It is only two years old and very pretty. Every room had a microwave and refrigerator. It is near all the major highways and about 5 minutes from Penn State campus. The hot breakfast was decent. Eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles and oatmeal with the other continental foods. Pool, whirlpool and workout room was good. Free wifi and business center. Staff was very friendly and helpful, especially the maintenance man. He thanked me three times for choosing this Best Western and was very helpful with cleaning up the whirlpool with a terrfic personality and smile. I liked this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Tom1955
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

If all Best Westerns were this good then this chain would be number one, I have never been a huge fan of Best Westerns but this was a fantastic hotel, very modern yet comfortable and my room was HUGE... I thought the green system in the room to control the heating and lighting was very smart! I think my stay here at this hotel could change my feelings of the chain. Only issue I had was that I need to update my GPS so I can find the hotel a bit easier when I return because I will be back....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveltheworldfun
Orchard Park, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

We used the coupon from the coupon books you can get at the visitor centers on the interstates and it ended up being under $90 including taxes. It was a wonderful room. Very clean, comfortable and cozy. Our room was on the 3rd floor, at the short end of the hall and it is true about the sound at this hotel. I could hear the elevator bell 3 doors away. Other than that though, it's a very nice hotel. It has a clean pool and hot tub, which my husband enjoyed and was open until 11pm- important to us because we tend to check-in late. I enjoyed the "business" center computer and appreciated the fact the the internet was not the speed of a snail. It also had a room with gym equipment that looked good- but I didn't use. The rooms at this hotel are climate controlled with you room key, which I thought was interesting. The bathroom was very clean, had it's own climate control but had a toilet that I thought was malfunctioning. This is the reason I didn't give it 5 circles. The toilet is VERY LOUD on the flush, and it is not an effective flusher- a little disconcerting at a nice hotel. It almost functioned like a marine/rv "head" and sounded like there was an air bubble in the pipes. When we mentioned it to the manager on duty-thinking that there could be a malfunction- he said that it was a new toilet design to help the environment. I'm not sure that having to flush 4 times helps the environment, but I guess that's another story. Enough of the potty talk.

The weekday breakfast, open until 10 am, was pretty good and very clean. There were 2 waffle making machines, oatmeal with a nice array of brown sugar, cinnamon, and raisins to add, yogurt, bananas, boxed cereal, eggs, potatoes, and sausage patties- a pretty good selection!
Overall , this is a very nice hotel and if we were in the area again, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: away from the elevator and a top floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ellen G
bwupsales, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you so much for such a detailed response to help our future guests. We are looking at the toilet issues today to accomodate our guests the best way possible. We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

This is an excellent location for a stay in State College during a football weekend. Keep in mind that we booked way in advance to lock in the best rate possible. We stay three nights. Kristy at the front desk was very helpful and friendly and assisted in upgrading us to a suite for no additional charge. That was much appreciated. The hotel is new and well decorated and maintained. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub, we used the workout facility, as well, and the breakfast offerings were very good. We could not have asked for a better travel experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cfswanny
bwupsales, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind reviews and advice to future guests. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and received an upgrade to one of our large suites. We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Janette