“Clean and great staff”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rumson, New Jersey
“Clean and great staff”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stayed here twice, the first time in May for a week, while my mother was in the hospital for surgery, and again in June visiting my parents with my three teenage sons and one of their friends for four nights. The hotel is on the new side, with pleasant furnishings, and unobtrusive decor. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. Housekeeping is polite and diligent.
My best compliment goes to the member of the front desk staff who made sure I got a message from the hospital when there was a call to the hotel quite late at night. I was not in the hotel, and did not hear my cell phone, but as soon as I walked into the hotel lobby, the woman at the front desk (whom I had not encountered previously) asked my identity, let me know the situation, and gave me the direct number for the nurse who was with my mother at the hospital. I certainly appreciate that kind of attention to their patrons.
Since my parents live in State College and I have a son who attends Penn State, I make frequent trips there. The Best Western is now my lodging of choice when visiting State College. I think it is an excellent place to stay in this area. My only complaint is that I could not get connecting rooms when visiting with my sons.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Looking-Ahead
bwupsales, Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you so much for all the kind words. We are glad that you shared your great story with everyone else to see. I am also glad to hear that you will be using us again in the future. I would like to welcome you to call me directly the next time you are making your reservation so I can see that all your needs are taken care of during your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I traveled to state college for work and this hotel was exactly what I needed. Its location outside of town was great: it let me get away from the bustle of downtown but is still conveniently close enough to get to my meeting easily... being close to the bypass let me get to the other side of town easily too. the rooms were spacious and allowed me to spread out and get plenty of work done at the nice-sized desk and comfortable chair. Definitely staying there next time im in town!

• Stayed July 2011
bwupsales, Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 12, 2011
It is great to see guests traveling to the area for business stay with us. We have recently started and incentive program for our business travelers that we would like to share with you. You can call our sales department anytime to ask them about the Business Plus program that creates extra amenities for our business guests.
Home
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We were traveling with another couple by motorcycle. The heat was unbearable and we called The Best Western University Inn. Their rooms were larger than most. The place was spotless. The breakfast was very plentiful and had local fresh peaches. We decided to stay another night. They were full and offered to move our room across the hall so it would be more convenient instead of dragging our luggage on the elevator. The lobby was pristine, and the pool and jacuzzi had plenty of towels. Great place. Too bad more hotels are not like them.

Sellersville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed here overnight on a visit to our grandson at Penn State. It is ten minutes away from the College and worth the drive. The staff was very friendly and helpful even recommended a good resturant for dinner. The rooms are a nice size and very clean, with a coffee maker and microwave. We were very pleased with everything, We will be staying here on future visits.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
bwupsales, Manager at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for your visit and kind words regarding our staff and services. It means a lot to us that you would recommend our hotel to other travelers. Please feel free to contact me directly any time you are in the area and I will personally handle your reservation and see that you are taken care of. We will look forward to seeing you next time!
Janette Raspatello-Sales Manager
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed here one night during the recent Arts and Crafts festival. The hotel is modern, comfortable and clean and a real step up from the usual Best Western fare. the only downside was the smallness of the breakfast aarea, but I think the hotel was full so there were long lines for the waffles (which I didn't end up getting!) :-( and a bit of trouble finding a table. But if they added another waffle maker, this would take care of that problem. We paid $169 for a double room with two beds. It was a bit more expensive than some of the other hotels in town, but I like clean and new, so it was well worth the extra money! We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the to floor (there's a lift) we had elephants staying above us. I complained...
1 Thank Aussiewriter
Thank you for the kind words about the hotel. We greatly appreciate you recommending us to others. Also, we took your advice on the breakfast area and lack of space. We have opened up extra space in the hotel when possible to assist with everyone being comfortable.
We always appreciate honest feedback to help make the improvents our guests need. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in the area so we can make sure you are taken care of!! Thanks again for the feedback.
Janette Raspatello-Sales Manager
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed here for two days during a very quiet weekend in mid July. The hotel is about 2 years old, making it feel nicer and less worn out than your typical motel. We had a king room and it was sufficiently spacious, with a comfortable chair, a microwave, and a fridge.

Being new, it is also fully non-smoking so you don't have to worry about smell in a converted room if you're sensitive.

We were able to use a coupon to get a reduced room rate, which was nice.

Some caveats to be aware of:

- The hotel is located in a rural area off the highway and requires a 10-15 minute drive to town. There's a large mall and stores nearby, and a sheets and a movie theater as well, but if you want to be "in the center of things" for State College you may want to look elsewhere. We actually preferred to stay out of town so it was good for us.

- There's a really annoying "energy saver" system where you have to leave your key in a reader on the wall to operate the A/C. The corridors are pretty warm, etc.

- I saw a lot of 6-pack containers in the trash, so it's possible thins get rowdy on busy weekends.

- The construction quality means that sounds travel. While this is a problem in most hotels, in my impression this was more serious here. For example, walking down the corridor we were able to hear a couple enjoying themselves quite a few doors down, so don't expect much privacy. You can also hear a lot of corridor noise into the room, but not much between the rooms. However, you can also hear footsteps from upstairs. So try to get a room far from the elevator and on the upper floor.

- Breakfast is disappointing, even for a motel.

- Internet, while free, is extremely slow even when there is barely anyone around.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank uricmu
Thank you for the review. We take Trip Advisor reviews very seriously because we would like to remain #1 in the area. We are located 2.5 miles from downtown State College. Also, you mentioned that breakfast was not great. We have been making upgrades to breakfast often including fresh fruit from all the local farms around here. I am glad that you enjoyed the "new" feeling of the hotel and we try very hard to also make sure everything stays new and fresh. Feel free to contact me directly during your next trip to State College PA.
Janette
Fishersville, Virginia
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Used a travel coupon and got a King room for one night for $79!!

Even at the higher rate it would have been worth it--great new hotel that was clean and comfortable!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelSKSV
Thank you for the great feedback!! We look forward to having you again as a guest here at the Best Western Plus University Park Inn and Suites.