“Wonderful”

Ranked #54 of 245 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Each Harrison's Wine Grill menu reflects Chef Harrison's love of local ingredients. At our locally owned, award winning restaurant in State College, we go out of our way to find and use the best products available. Whenever possible, we purchase ingredients from local Pennsylvania growers and purveyors, in particular ones who arrive at the back door with freshly harvested offerings like elephant garlic, fresh green beans, or wild morel mushrooms. When a good quality ingredient is not available locally, we go out of market to find it, especially seasonal seafood. Full bar includes local microbrews on tap and over 20 wines by the glass. Located two minutes from Penn State's main campus, Harrison's is located within the State College Hilton Garden Inn. Harrison's is upscale yet casual, and a favorite of State College locals, Penn State alumni and students. Voted State College's Best Caterer, Best Wait Staff & Best Health Menu by the readers of State College Magazine.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were staying at the hotel and started at the bar here, but eventually decided to just stay for dinner. We were a little hesitant, because the prices are high, but we were VERY happy we decided to stay for dinner. The prices were completely appropriate for the food served. There were 5 of us and we all loved our meals. The steak melted in the mouth, the gnocchi was perfectly cooked, and the tuna was also perfectly prepared. The service was excellent, and we very much enjoyed our time here. We would happily eat here again.

There are newer reviews for Harrison's Wine Grill & Catering

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I met up with a couple of friends at Harrisons, who were staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. Being a local, I would have never visited Harrison's otherwise. We had planned on just having a drink at the bar before heading into town for dinner. However, the bartender convinced us to check out the menu.
We all really enjoyed our entrees. I had the pork chop with a sausage and polenta stuffing. While my friends had the seabass and salmon dishes. So glad that we decided to stay and have dinner there. I will be back!

Reviewed September 22, 2013

All I can say is WOW! My husband and I, visited for the first time this week and loved this restaurant. We ordered our wine and just had to sit for a while to enjoy the menu. So many dishes to choose from. Our server was very helpful and efficient! We started with the spicy chicken skewers and local goat cheese fritters. YUM! For the entrees, I chose the Ahi Tuna which was delicious! My husband went with the grass fed steak with local sides. It was the best steak we have ever tasted!!!! We look forward to visiting again. Well done Harrison's!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Not sure what all the bad reviews are about. But I find this place to be one of the best local spots to have dinner. Organic/locally sourced food as well as local beers/wine. Been here twice so far and both times have been excellent.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Had heard good things from other PSU parents but was very disappointed. Has some local offerings, some organic items - a number of seafood selections, sandwiches, salads, small plates. Maybe just too much offered to do it all properly. I had caesar salad ($7) - dressing was supposedly house made. This was very basic - romaine, some cheese sprinkled on top, white bread croutons with no seasoning (leftover bread cut into cubes), and a dull dressing without any of the zing you expect from Caesar. Hugely disappointing. Also had roasted butternut squash soup (bowl $5) - okay, arrived with a film on top from sitting under heat lamps and was not hot. Asked for bread three times - a doughy white French baguette that was heated. Butter had been out for a long time and was almost melted. Daughter had side Caesar salad ($4 see above), seared sea scallops with butternut squash risotto ($23.50). The scallops were done properly but lacked flavor - maybe had been frozen previously, did not seem to have basic salt and pepper seasoning. The butternut squash risotto was MUSH - way overdone, never should have been served. Small flecks of butternut squash in the risotto but they were overpowered by red pepper pieces. Our server just didn't know what she was doing - the other server seemed competent. Although this was a Sunday night (after football Saturday) and town was quiet, there were about 5 other groups seated. I liked the idea that they tried to have some local selections (greens, cheese) and some organic items - the whole execution was poor. There are other choices in this town that are better and cheaper - not many - but they are there. Can't recommend this now.