“Small but cozy restaurant with local ingredients”

Harrison's Wine Grill & Catering
Ranked #58 of 244 Restaurants in State College
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Each Harrison's Wine Grill menu reflects Chef Harrison's love of local ingredients. At our locally owned, award winning restaurant in State College, we go out of our way to find and use the best products available. Whenever possible, we purchase ingredients from local Pennsylvania growers and purveyors, in particular ones who arrive at the back door with freshly harvested offerings like elephant garlic, fresh green beans, or wild morel mushrooms. When a good quality ingredient is not available locally, we go out of market to find it, especially seasonal seafood. Full bar includes local microbrews on tap and over 20 wines by the glass. Located two minutes from Penn State's main campus, Harrison's is located within the State College Hilton Garden Inn. Harrison's is upscale yet casual, and a favorite of State College locals, Penn State alumni and students. Voted State College's Best Caterer, Best Wait Staff & Best Health Menu by the readers of State College Magazine.
State College, Pennsylvania
“Small but cozy restaurant with local ingredients”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to Harrison's recently with two friends and was surprised to see such a interesting menu. They have quite a few entree choices for seafood, meat and chicken with fresh, local ingredients. I had the grilled chicken sandwich, which was nothing special, one friend had the tilapia (a very large portion by the way) and my other friend had a pasta dish (can't remember the name of it). I had the apple strudel for dessert which was also nothing special in my opinion. Overall the atmosphere is nice and our waitress was very friendly, but I would not go again due to it being not my type of menu items.

1 Thank GizemU

Atlanta
“Nice, Clean and good food!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you are looking for a place that works with local fresh food-- this is one of them in State College. Located in the Hilton Garden Inn, Harrison's is affordable, clean and delicious. If it's available, have the goat cheese and fig topping!

Pennsylvania
“Always good but wine list could be much better”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We've enjoyed many lunches at Harrison's and the soups are usually excellent, while the salad bar is adequate. Last night we had dinner there - not our first time for dinner -- and they didn't disappoint. The scallop specials were well made and my portion of the crusted scallops with goat cheese was actually on the large side. The local organic salad was stellar. The cherry crumb pie, which we shared, was excellent. The only problem we had was with our reservations. I had called earlier in the day and made a reservation for a party of four at 7pm. The woman who answered the phone took my name and phone number and assured me we had a reservation but when we arrived the gentleman at the check-in said that they had no record of our reservations. Fortunately, they were able to accommodate us. My suggestion is that Harrison's should not bill itself as a wine bar unless they expand the meager wine list that they currently offer.

Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
“A particularly disappointing experience in a town filled with disappointments”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

State College doesn't have a great food scene but Harrison's may bottom the list. They are selling entrees priced about $6 too expensive for the quality. Although this restaurant prides itself on sourcing locally, it had run out of local greens for its salads and instead we were presented with a limp salad filled with rotten greens. The $21 dollar scallops were overcooked, accompanied by a flavorless and overcooked risotto and drowned in butter with no hint of lime in a supposed lime beurre blanc. I would not have been offended had the entree been a more reasonable $15 and not presented as a gourmet item. The papardelle pasta with goat cheese mushroom cream sauce was more like a uni-colored heap of gray in a bland cream soup and overcooked pasta. Overall it's not the absolute worst tasting food in State College but it's certainly the worst value. Unfortunately, local doesn't necessarily mean good.

1 Thank Daniel T
State College, Pennsylvania
“Excellent food, Local Ingredients”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

A pleasant atmosphere, delicious food and a commitment to buying locally produced ingredients make this restaurant satisfying on many levels. My friend and I both had a hard time choosing between the many different offerings. And I was able to enjoy a wonderful meal and still stick pretty close to the diet I am on. Portions and prices seemed to me to be reasonable. The gluten free offerings and ability to choose a meal from a variety of small plates makes Harrison's a good place to satisfy everyone.

• Visited June 2013