“A Very Nice Hotel”

Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in State College
Sanibel Island, Florida
“A Very Nice Hotel”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had no complaints about this hotel. The lobby, halls, breakfast room, pool, and fitness center were all clean and attractive. The desk staff was exceptionally friendly, efficient and helpful with restaurant suggestions and directions to places. Our room and bathroom were immaculate, well-equipped, and attractive. The bed was wonderful. The air conditioning worked well, and was quiet, as were our room and the entire hotel.

The location was very good - close to the campus, shops, restaurants, a park, and a nice bike/hiking trail. The price was very reasonable. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortSuites132, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
On the behalf of the hotel staff, I am writing to Thank You for staying at the Comfort Suites in State College. We appreciate you taking time to share your comments on your recent stay with us. We’re pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our pleasant staff could accommodate you with higher expectations then you anticipated.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night’s stay a satisfying one. The principle goal of our hotel is to provide dependable services to all of our guests at a reasonable price. But, it’s only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services we provide.

Again, let me thank you for staying with us. We’re committed to total guest satisfaction, and we look forward to your next visit.

Patty Mandell,AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Cos Cob, Connecticut
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was our first stay at Comfort Suites. Our room looked over the parking lot, which was so well lit, our room was lit up at night as the halogen lamps penetrated the window shades. Make sure you get a room that does not face the parking lot. The room was rudimentary and clean. The biggest problem was the intermittent internet. Up for 5 minutes, down for 10 minutes, up for 3 minutes, down for 20 minutes. It tool me hours and hours to get my work done. Calling the front desk yielded a support company that basically was of no help, after waiting a 1/2 hour for the support agent to pick up. I thought for the price it would have been nicer, and had solid internet. The breakfast was outstanding, so if you like a nice free breakfast as your priority, you will love this property.

Room Tip: Don't get a room which faces the parking lot, the lights shine into the room even with the curta...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
A hotel is defined by the quality of the services it provides to its guests. Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn of your unhappiness. Such as those you have mentioned to us.
Please accept my sincere apology. We know how frustrating it can be to have the internet not being consistent while working, especially when deadlines are trying to be met. I have turned your concerns over to our Internet Specialist to see why there wasn't a consistent connection during your stay and that the wireless company wasn't very helpful to you in resolving the issue.
We accommodate many guests each night, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. Since the principle goal of our hotel is to provide dependable services to all guests at a reasonable price, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, and where we can make improvements. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you’ve raised have been addressed. As a conclusion, I will work with the Internet department on how we can make the necessary changes and improvements as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

We look forward to serving you again during your next stay in the State College area.

Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend get-away with family. The rooms were a good size and the beds were comfortable. The rate was among the most reasonable in the area for the type of hotel it was. Breakfast (hot and cold cereal, muffins, bagels, danish, waffles, fruit, yogurt and two hot choices that change daily) is included and it's more than enough to get you going in the morning. The only complaint I have is to extend the time to 10am so sleepy heads can make it too. The pool and hot tub are very nice after a long day of exploring the area. The location is central and parking is free. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ComfortSuites132, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the survey on behalf of our hotel and staff. It sounds like you had a Great weekend getaway,and you enjoyed our delicious breakfast the we serve that has a variety for everyone.I would be glad to make mention about extending the breakfast hours for ALL of the sleepy heads that need those few extra minutes to sleep in. Our pool and hot tub seemed to be the place to hang out while unwinding from spending a day exploring all the local shops in the area. We are certainly pleased that you enjoyed your stay and will return for another visit soon.

Many thanks,
Stony Point, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Overall an excellent choice and one I'd suggest. Attended the Penn State Graduation ceremonies and along with my very extended family. We had booked several rooms (4). In all there were 10 of us ranging in age from 3 to 81. For most of us, the word "suite" didn't really fit because they were really single oversized rooms with a sink, fridge, microwave and coffee maker inside. However, I couldn't think of any other word to describe the additional features these rooms have so just check if your idea of suite is the same as the hotels.. Very roomy. Mine had 2 big beds and a pull out sofa. For me it was a bit off a jump to get onto the bed :) because they are pretty high up for those of us who are shorter. Upon our arrival - close to 5pm our rooms were not yet ready. We were told that a staff member was ill, there were late check outs, etc, etc and they were behind in room prep.and it would be a short time before our rooms were all done. My parents - (the 2 eldest in our group) were really the only ones with an issue and the staff had it all done in minutes for them. It happens. And they immediately addressed the issue and set forth a plan to get the rooms ready for us. The rooms were perfect for us. The pool and hot tub were awesome. The Continental breakfast was perfect though the choices of hot food was limited to eggs, a side dish and waffle maker. I also wished there was a lactose free creamer choice for coffee - international delights or my favorite coffeemate creamers. There was plenty of milk and half and half available (but I ran out of lactaid pills!) Awesome location - especially if you're going to a Penn State function. The lobby was very comfortable and overall no complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ComfortSuites132, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Wow! What an awesome review of your stay. Thank you for your kind words and understanding.It was our pleasure in quickly accommodating your parents and the rest of your family upon check in.We like to think of everyone as our family coming for a weekend,and do our very best foer them. I was happy to read that you were able to take advantage of using the pool and hot tub.What a great way to unwind after all the excitement of Summer graduation at Penn State. Our continental certainly does have a lot to offer even the pickiest eaters. Thank you again for your comments. Hope to see you again when visiting the State College area.

Regards,
Patty mandell,AGM
London, Ontario
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I pre-booked this hotel directly through choicehotels.com and got an amazing rate by pre-paying for the room. The room was just as I had expected from the description. Beds were fairly comfortable and the room clean. The kids loved the indoor pool area. Check-in was quick and friendly. We visited State College in July, so I am not sure how busy this hotel would be when Penn State is in session, but it was very quiet overall during our stay. We walked around the University campus for several hours since it was just a short drive to the hotel. We really enjoyed that simple day trip. They had a good selection of food for the included "free" hot buffet breakfast. Food was tasty and as expected for a quick meal. I would definitely stay here again when traveling in the area.

Room Tip: Do not take the 2nd floor room next to the pool area. You can hear people yelling and screaming in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ComfortSuites132, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
May I start off by saying that I was thrilled by your review and would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey.It was nice to read that you were able to walk around the campus while visiting. I enjoy strolling on campus and ending the day with ice cream from the Creamery.Our continental breakfast has alot to offer for any traveler,and the pool is always a hit with the kids..
We do have a great staff who enjoy the area and are always willing to assist with getting them around town.
We certainly hope that you will come back to the Comfort Suites when visiting Penn State.

Kind Regards,
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 29, 2013

If you are looking for a small. basic hotel this is where you want ot go. Stayed over this last weekend for a lacrosse tournament. Room was a nice size and clean. AC worked well. Staff that we encountered at the desk and in the breakfast area were very friendly. Although we did not use it, but the indoor pool just off the lobby looked nice. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I would like to personaaly thank you for your recent review. With our hotel only minutes from most PSU athletic fields,it works great for our visitng teams to walk or even a short drive to most areas on this side of campus.We enjoyed having you and your team,and we look forward to seeing you and your team again soon.

Kind Regards,
PA
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just checked into this hotel for a two day stay. I booked a King Bed Suite that was further described as "1 room suite, partial room divider, sofabed". I've traveled a lot, all over the world, so I thought I had a good idea what this room would look like. Au contrare! Upon entering the room, everything seemed normal, door to the bathroom on the right, followed by a view of the sofabed, partial room divider and king bed also on the right, desk to the left across from the sofabed. When we walked into the room, however, and looked to the right, we discovered the wall between the bath room and living room area was partially missing!!! Yes, there is a hole,
approximately four feet square, between the bathroom and living room. It is tiled on the bathroom side, dry walled on the living room side, obviously designed to be there, but it looks like the contractor was short on material and decided this is where he should economize.

To further describe it, when you walk into the bathroom, the counter with single sink is along the right wall, the toilet straight ahead and the jetted tub with shower to the left. But the wall along the long side of the tub is missing! Instead of a wall, there is a second shower curtain that must be drawn across the opening to avoid having water spray into the living room. To make matters even worse, there is an electrical outlet in the wall below the opening on the living room side, meaning water escaping from the shower area could easily drain into the electrical outlet. And it's not a GFI outlet, just the standard two plug outlet. How did this get by a building inspector? The designer/builder must have anticipated some water splashing because the floor on the living room side of the opening is tiled, while the balance of the room is carpeted. Fortunately, we are not traveling with children who might stand on wet tile and stick their finger or toy into the outlet. Unfortunately, everything that goes on in the bathroom can be heard from the living/bedroom area, and, if the curtain is not pulled can also be seen. No privacy at all. I just wish I knew how to use my phone better so I could take picture and post it with this review.

The other odd feature of the room is the location of the one TV. It's on a stand in front of the bed, not in the living room. This is good if the two of you want to watch TV in bed, not so good if one of you stays up late to watch TV and the other gets up before dawn and turns on the TV. In every other suite room such as this that I've stayed in, there are either two TVs or the one is in the living room section.

This is our first time staying at this hotel. Our favorite was booked due to an event in town but this hotel got good reviews and Comfort Suites are generally OK so I decided to stay here. What we've seen of the rest of the hotel,lobby, halls, breakfast area, look fine for the price and it is located far enough off busy 422 that noise should not be a problem. Breakfast is described as "continental" so I'm not expecting much more that coffee and danish.

If I ever have reason to stay at this hotel again, I most certainly will not pay up for a suite, knowing that the bathroom is virtually in the living room. I would suggest that management pony up a few dollars, close up the hole in the wall and purchase a 2nd TV.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Suites"
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortSuites132, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I would like to first thank you for filling out the survey. To respond to your comment about the room type that you had on your recent stay.They are what have been described as a "Corporate Traveler Suite" or a "Couple's" room. We have had both positive and negative responses to the layout of these whirlpool upgraded rooms. I have shared your comments with our director to see what could possibly done to enclose the opening for more privacy and adding an additional television to the living area to make the room more accommodating for guests.
Thank you again for your time,and hope that you will choose the State College Comfort Suites, the next time you are in the area.

Regards,