“Disappointing first experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing first experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

I ordered online on a Sunday afternoon and heard nothing for the restaurant for 1.5 hours. When I called, I was promptly put on hold for several minutes before getting to explain myself. Drivers do not usually know how to find my house so I thought he/she may have gotten lost. However, when I said I had been waiting 1.5 hours, the staff person answered, "Nope, 55 minutes, and your driver is already out." I told him when I had placed the order and he looked up my order again- confirming he was wrong and telling me the food was on its way. Immediately following the call, I got a call from the driver rudely asking for directions. As previously stated, I am more than willing to help provide directions but did not anticipate his rudeness. The hash browns taste like charcoal, but my sandwich was tasty. I will give them one more chance but will not recommend to friends until they show adequate service.

1 Thank Meghan W

State College, PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive for so little food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

It cost me like $7 for a tinnnyyy bag of 25c utz chips, a bad pickle that still had a cucumber taste. I went because I really wanted a chicken salad wrap and someone told me they had it...When I got home there was hardly any chicken salad in my wrap, it was flat and not even filed... very few onions and skimped on the cheese. Also only had choices of spinach or white flour wraps and I would have liked to have seen wheat.
Employees did not seem welcoming at all.
Probably won't go back

1 Thank nittanylion10
Reading, PA
“Great sandwich shop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

As a recent alumna of Penn State, I frequently visited the Fraser Street Deli in between classes and for quick meals. I'm really shocked to hear about how "expensive" sandwiches are here, but I find that between other local and chain restaurants in town, there's nothing exorbitant about the Fraser Street Deli. I always ordered a veggie panini (the Hans Panofsky -- it's delicious) with a side of chips and usually a class of water, which typically cost me $7.50. For a place that has great, fresh ingredients and a good selection of menu items, it's very reasonable. For meat lovers, the deli uses and sells a selection of Boars Head meat.

The deli welcomes sit-down orders, take out, and deliveries within the State College area. Service never wavered whether I came in to eat or ordered take out. I've never had a staff member who was rude or arrogant-- everyone's very pleasant-- with speedy service.

The atmosphere rivals a miniature sports bar scene with Penn State sports memorabilia hung from the walls, but the clientele and noise level certainly aren't bar-like. It's a bit small in seating area, but it feels a little more intimate and friendlier this way. During the summer and spring months, there are two outdoor tables. Parking is quite convenient for the location, as the Fraser Street Parking garage and a parking lot rest closely to the deli.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mlr5037
jlg269
“Great Paninis, Breakfast Burritos & Owners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2009

The Fraser Street Deli has great Paninis and sandwiches all named after famous local people. I personally recommend the Paninis as they are served on a amazing locally baked Ciabatta bread and are quite large. All Sandwiches come with a pickle and choice of chips or applesauce, or you can upgrade to a larger side such as Potato Salad, Mac & Cheese or one of the daily soups. For breakfast, you have to try a breakfast burrito! They are stuffed with meat, egg, cheese and a hash brown. I personally think they are the best value on the menu.

You can tell the owners (a husband and wife) really care about the store as they seem to work nearly every hour they are open and have made constant improvements. They have remodeled almost the entire store over the past few years including recently adding new tables and chairs. While the food costs $7 - $8 for a sandwich (including the pickle & chips) you can see that it doesn't just go right in the owners pockets.

Also, The Fraser Street Deli is a full service restaurant with wait service so I recommend you come early for lunch as they often run out of tables, or at the very least, call ahead for takeout if you are in a hurry. On nice weather days they also have a few outside tables where you can enjoy your takeout.

PA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't go here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

Owner is very unfriendly, service was bad, wasn't worth the price

1 Thank PaFoodluver