“OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in State College
READING
“OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here overnight when visiting my daughter at Penn State. Check in time was 3:00 p.m. We arrived at 3:10 and were told that a room wasn't available because they were not cleaned yet. It would be at least 15 more minutes and they would call when it was ready. We took a drive to get my daughter something to eat and they did call in 20 minutes with a room that was cleaned. I asked if it had a refrigerator and they said no that would be longer because none of those rooms were cleaned yet. We drove back to hotel arriving at 3:50 and the room with a refrigerator still wasn't ready. I told the recepitionist to just get us a room as now I was losing my patience. She told me they would bring a refrigerator up shortly. Why wasn't I told this in the beginning. They wheeled a portable refrigerator into the room 45 minutes later.

The spa or hot tube next to the pool was out of order and that was disappointing. The pool is very small. If there are kids using it, it gets crowded.

Our room was clean and comfortable. The morning coffee was also tasty. As for our stay, there are other hotels that are cheaper and had better service than this one!

Will not bother going back here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jkatobx
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
jkatobx,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate you staying with us at Courtyard. I apologize for your room not being available at check in and appreciate your patience. Please accept my apologies for the spa and hot tub being out of order during your stay too. Your feedback is important to me so I'm glad that you took the time to write your review. We always look for ways to make improvements so I'll use your comments constructively. We value you as our guest and hope you'll consider staying with us again. We'd like to show you our improvements and provide a more positive experience. Thanks again.
Patty Treaster, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Colts Neck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My son goes to school at Penn State and we stay here quite a bit. The rooms are clean, the beds are really comfortable. The pool and jacuzzi are also real good. Complimentary Starbucks coffe in the morning in the lobby . Great place to stay for games and if you are just picking up your student to come back home.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the elevatore especially if you go for a Penn State game. It could get real lo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Christian M,
It's great to hear from you and receive such a wonderful review. We're glad to have you stay with us as regular guests, and we're delighted to know that you enjoy your visits. I'm pleased you've found a clean, comfortable and relaxing place to rest while visiting State College. We hope you'll continue to make us your number one hotel and visit us again. We look forward to it.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

There really aren't any great options in State College I guess and if there are, I haven't found them. This might be one of the better but still just ok at that. I come here to visit family and I don't suppose anyone really comes here to vacation so this property should meet your needs.

They have a little bar where you can order a small menu. With absolutely nobody else in the lobby, our order of a salad and pizza took almost 2 hours. Breakfast is not included but you can do grab and go or order some more real food options from this bar area. The morning service fared much better than the evening. The fitness center is not the best but it is there with 2 treadmills, a bike and an eliptical. They also have old chipped weights and are using an ottoman for a weight bench which really doesn't cut it.

WIFI worked well in the room and was free so that was good. The room and bathroom were large enough and updated so it was definitely fine for us. The cleaning staff was thorough and friendly though even when I asked them to clean my room at a later time one day. I stayed 2 nights and the first night nobody must have been beside me but the 2nd night it seemed like my bed was right behind the wall that had their bathroom or closet because the banging around and water noises were very loud. I could not wait for them to leave and once they did I could rest again.

The front desk was helpful and gave my daughter a gift. There are no perks here for being a Gold Marriott rewards member. I replied to the automated survey that goes out after you stay with my concerns and have not heard anything back.

Location is convenient to all of State College which isn't really that big and I might come back or might try a different property when I visit again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gymmom1118
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
gymmom1118,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you chose to stay with us while visiting family nearby. I apologize for your long wait in getting dinner. Your feedback is helpful and I'll make sure to make improvements. I'm glad you like our property and find our staff friendly and helpful. We hope you'll stay with us again as we enjoyed having you as our guest.
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while visiting our daughter at Penn State. The room was spacious and clean, the staff was friendly and accommodating, and the location was excellent for driving to and from the Penn State campus. The WiFi was free and worked well. The sink outside of the bathroom was a plus since we were two people sharing the room. We asked to have a refrigerator and microwave put in our room as soon as we checked in, and it was there within 15 minutes. All in all, a very positive experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
SKNJ,

Thank you for your kind review. We're very glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. I'm glad you liked your room and found it to be spacious and clean. I'm also happy to know our staff was helpful in providing a microwave and refrigerator for your room. We hope you'll enjoy many more visits with your daughter, and that you'll consider staying with us at Courtyard State College.
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I was at this hotel a few years ago. Since then they upgraded the lobby. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted and checked-in very quickly. We were informed about the Bistro & how to get to our room. The lobby was quite comfortable and looked inviting. The room was a good size with lots of space and included to our surprise a refrigerator & microwave. WiFi worked without any problems. Pros and cons about having the shower/toilet in one room and the sink separate from the toilet. I really wish hotels could include a small sink in that little room/but that's my preference. Nice toiletries. Hair dryer worked great. The beds were very comfortable and we got a great night of sleep---actually slept quite late even though the hotel was quite full/but it was not at all noisy. Nice flat screen TV but some channels were snowy. There was a nice workspace as well. It was a bit cold so we did not get to enjoy the balcony but it did look inviting. Pool looked nice, hot tub enjoyable. Workout area adequate.

We were pressed for time so we decided to just go to the Bistro in the hotel. This was really the only downside of the hotel. I asked about the monthly special "Harvest Chopped Salad" which was on their menu. The fellow looked totally dumbfounded and did not know anything about it. He asked if we would like him to recommend something. I said well that salad is on the card in our room and it is on your menu right there behind you. "Oh" he said, "no one ever ordered it before." So he proceeded to pull the recipe up off the computer and told me what was in it--apples, romaine, cranberries, tomatoes, bacon, walnuts and a horseradish ranch dressing. Sounded good and he said he had all the ingredients/told him to skip the tomatoes. My son ordered a chicken quesadilla. Then we waited, and waited, and waited (and there were no other customers). Finally, he came out and said if it was okay he would bring out the quesadilla first which we said was fine. Fortunately I had a slice of the quesadilla which came with salsa & sour cream and it was ok, nothing spectacular, but being very hungry at this point it was quite welcome. We continued to wait but the salad was not forthcoming. We had to leave for the event for which we had gone to State College and indeed we were already late but still no salad and no sign of the chef either. Finally he came out bringing the salad but I explained we had to leave and would he keep it in the refrigerator until I got back and he said he would but advised me that the bacon would get cold. When I did return he had it ready for me and it was ok, nothing really special, (needed more horseradish in the dressing in my opinion) and there was not a single walnut to be found. At that point the Bistro was closed so I could not ask about that and I was starting to think that perhaps I misunderstood. But upon arrival at home I checked online and indeed there should have been walnuts. So the Bistro part of the hotel needs more fine tuning. The meals we ordered were somewhat expensive and we were obviously disappointed about the long wait for very average yet fairly expensive meals. We were ok with the cost because we thought it would save us time looking for someplace to eat quickly but that was not the case. Given that situation we did not even attempt the breakfast the following morning.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor on the Ruby Tuesday side of the building were very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen L
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Helen L,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your experience with us at Courtyard State College. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and found our hotel clean and comfortable. I apologize for your experience at the Bistro during your stay. I read your comments and became very disappointed in the service you received. Please be assured that this was not typical of our Bistro staff or service. We will be reviewing your comments in our next staff meeting and make sure all personnel are well trained, especially for the monthly specials. We hope your future travels will bring you back to our area and you'll stay with us again.
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed for a night while passing through State College on business. While there is nothing really worng with the hotel (other than two false fire alarms in the middle of the night), I didn't find anything that would rank it higher than average.

The outside of the property is well kept and neat, although I do question if there is enough parking if the hotel were to be full. There is a Ruby Tuesday's sharing the hotel parking lot, which is nice if you don't want to drive to dinner. The lobby was clean and looked updated; the pool also looked clean, but quite small.

The room itself again was clean, average in size, and a little dated. Bed was good, wifi worked well, and there was a flat screen tv, but many channels were quite "snowy". The bathroom had the toilet and shower separate from the sink area; the sink vanity was quite small however, and the lighting no so great.

All in all, there is nothing bad about this place, but nothing great either; and at $ 160 / night, I would have expected more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank ToSquareBob1
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
ToSquareBob1,
Thank you for your review. We value your business and appreciate you choosing Courtyard. I'm glad you liked our hotel. I apologize for the false fire alarms disrupting your sleep. We truly hope you'll join us again the next time your business brings you to State College.
Severna Park, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in State College overnight for a family wedding. The hotel looks like it has been recently renovated with a sleek clean looking lobby and comfortable rooms. The lobby has a big screen TV and lounge chairs and a quick service deli type "restaurant/bar". The pool is a good size and has a hot tub (my nephews loved this). The rooms were nicely appointed with flat screen TV's and comfy beds. The only negative is the lack of HDTV on the big screen in the lobby. We sat in the lobby and watched football after the wedding. Customer service was fantastic. We would definitely stay here again.

As a bonus, the local Applebee's sits right in front of this hotel and has great service and food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank irin997
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard State College, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
irin997,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard State College. We're pleased you chose to stay with us while attending your family wedding, and we hope we were able to add a little more enjoyment to your family get togethers. We invite you to come and stay with us again soon.