“False advertising on the Marriot website for this hotel”

Residence Inn State College
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed January 5, 2009

This hotel states that the have buffet dinner Mon- thurs., but when we stayed there they only had a buffet on tues. The buffet was not a dinner buffet but cheese and crackers.
We stayed there over the New Years and on New Years day breakfast was supose to be till 10 am but when I my family went down to the lobby at 9:30 am for breakfast all the food was put a way.
The gym pictures a work out bench with free weights but that is not there either. Needless to say I was disappointed and will not be staying there again.

Stayed: December 2008

Reviewed November 15, 2008

Amidst several less-than-pleasing hotel stays in other locations, I was relieved to spend a night at the State College Residence Inn. The room was large and well appointed in the apart-hotel model complete with a small kitchen. The bed was very comfortable with crisp linens, and my room on the second floor was incredibly quiet. At check in, I asked about breakfast hours (included in the price) and was told that breakfast didn't begin until 6;30 a.m. - unfortunate since I needed to leave by that time. When I went down shortly after 6:00, however, breakfast was in full swing - a great spread of eggs, sausage, and all the fixings. Great!

The hotel was clean and fresh through out. The elevator didn't creak and whine. The hallway carpets looked fresh and new. (An earlier reviewer said sterile - I just think of it as clean!) All in all, a really good stay at a well situated property. I wouldn't think twice about staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank PDCE-85
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Stayed for one night with my son on a college tour. The place is clean and comfortable, but quite "sterile".... all but one light was a fluorescent bulb in our guest room; the pool has no bathroom in which to change wet things, and we were told by the desk staff that breakfast closed at 10 a.m., whereas the next morning, all food items were put away by 9:30, meaning we had no breakfast!! Quite a problem, since you would expect the desk to know these things. I would not return. Prefer the Holiday Inn Express or Spring Hill Suites. Uninspiring. Nice and quiet location, however.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank bhanse
Reviewed March 7, 2008

We stayed there for four days for a short vacation in State College with our 13 year old Son. Really enjyed the hotel and the free morning breakfasts were very good and saved us $$. Very clean and the staff were top notch. Pool was clean as was the hot tub. The hotel is off the beaten path, so its nice and quiet at night but is close to downtown.. If you're looking for a nice stay in State College this is a place to look into.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank FlyinGN
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite for 3 nights Sun-Wed. Having the separate bedroom is always important to us since we travel with our toddler, she can take her naps and go to bed earlier and we can stay out in the living area and watch tv. The suite had a nice kitchen area and a 2-person dining table. The sofa was hard. Nothing fancy about the room, but clean and comfortable bed. Our room overlooked the courtyard where guests can sit at patio chairs and tables outside, and this became loud in the evenings, I would request not to face this direction when traveling with a toddler again who goes to sleep by 9pm. The noise went till at least 10pm.

The hotel dining area was always clean and well-replinished. Breakfasts were ample with hot and cold items, and evening dinners are included from 5:30-7pm on Mon-Thursdays. The one evening my husband had a dinner meeting, so my daughter and I just ate at the hotel and they served a stirfry meal with eggrolls and soda. They have a beer keg during this time too. In your room, they have a menu posted of what the evening meal will be. I thought this feature was nice for business travelers who might not want to go out for dinner every night.

We used the pool one time on our first day there, and then a few hours later it was closed for the duration of our stay. This was very disappointing to me since my daughter wanted to swim, but they did give the option of walking across the street to their Courtyard Marriott property to swim if you wanted. The roof seemed to be caving in in the pool area, which was odd but that looked to be the problem. When we were able to swim that one time, the pool was clean and hot tub too. There is a fitness room attached with elliptical, 2 treadmills, and bike.

Front desk staff did not impress me, they could have been more friendly. The housekeeping staff was pleasant.

Overall, we would stay here again because we like the 1-bedroom suites, and they are hard to find. Having the full-size fridge in the room was great.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank ShipU2002
Reviewed December 26, 2006

My husband stays here about every other month on business. When we were going to need a place to stay for Thanksgiving and Christmas to visit our son in college this year, my husband thought this would be a good choice. Then he found out they had two bedroom suites. We couldn't have asked for anything better other than staying at home. My husband and I had our own bedroom and bath and our daughter had her own bedroom and bath. They were joined in the middle by a full kitchen (fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher) and a living room with fireplace. We had plenty of room to open gifts and watch TV without being on top of each other. There were three TV's. We made our own dinner in the room for Christmas Eve and went out to dinner for Christmas. We couldn't have asked for a more relaxing Christmas weekend.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Burg
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Not Brand New....probably 5 years old. In very good shape, look like a couple of resturaunts (chain) nearby. We just stayed over night but having stayed at many RI's, I'd say this one is a 9 out of 10 on RI scale.....a brand new one would beat it out.

If you need room, I'd think this would be the best option in the area. Far better than the Holiday Inn's near the highway.

Stayed: July 2006