“Great hotel for the money!”

Residence Inn State College
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is an excellent hotel for, but keep in mind its a Residence Inn not the Ritz Carlton.

I've been living in the Residence Inn for four weeks and it has been a great experience. Very clean, with an awesome staff. The rooms are spacious with full size refrigerators, a two burner stove, and dishwasher. Breakfast is very good with eggs, waffles, etc. A hotel like this in a big city would cost at least double.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Richdowg,
We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at Residence Inn State College, and we thank you for writing a review from your great experience. It's fantastic to hear that our clean and spacious accommodations meet your satisfaction, as well as the excellent service delivered by our staff throughout your stay. We're happy to have you as our guest and thank you again for your review and patronage.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stay often at the Residence Inn when visiting Penn State. My prior review on Trip Advisor was positive, but I feel the need to update due top our recent experiences. We have our preferences set for 3rd floor and a suite as this is needed for our family. In December this was not accommodated, but we figured, ok, not a big deal. Our next visit on January 11th, we were given a handicap accessible room, which we were not aware of until we went to the room. This was inconvenient for us for several reasons-there was not a desk for work, hand held shower was ungainly to use, and the bed was surprisingly uncomfortable. When the room type issue was immediately brought to the attention of the front desk person, we were told there were no other rooms available. I asked why we were changed, and the front person did not know, and did not seem inclined to help in any way. I have never had a problem with staff at the Residence Inn, but this time I was surprised at the responses received by the desk clerk. Our preference is to stay at Residence Inns because they offer the space and amenities we like. This was a disappointment.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dante81,
Thank you for writing and sharing feedback as guest satisfaction is our highest priority. We appreciate your continued patronage and sincerely apologize for the disappointment and inconveniences you experienced during your previous stay. Please know we try our best to accommodate all guest preferences, and we're very sorry we were unable to honor your room request. We value you as our guest and hope to provide a more positive stay in the future. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Spent the weekend here in early January while visiting Penn State. First problem came at check-in where the room type we reserved was not available, but instead of telling us, we were just given another room. When calling to inquire the issue with our room, we were told it was given away - later to learn several long-term residents did not check out on time, thus our room type was given to them. After a discussion with the manager, we were adequately compensated for the issue to our satisfaction.

This hotel is well located if you plan to visit Penn State, about 2-3 miles. Several restaurants and stores nearby. Breakfast area and common areas are well maintained. The rooms are certainly showing their age when compared to many other Residence Inn Hotels I've stayed at recently. The furniture, applicances and carpets show their age. The beds are just OK, not bad, but not up to the current quality standards of a newer or recently renovated Marriott. The morning breakfast was adequate and there was at least one person there who maintained the area. Aside from the poor training of the front desk clerk when we checked in, we did find the staff to be friendly. We also found the rooms to be cleaned very well and the cleaning staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

RJMGreenwich,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay. I'm very sorry that we were unable to accommodate your room request, and sincerely apologize for the frustrations you experienced as a result. I'm pleased to hear that our resolution for your inconveniences met your satisfaction. We value your business and appreciate you choosing to stay with us while visiting Penn State. We hope to provide a more positive experience in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed here for the Nebraska weekend. Enjoyed our stay. Lots of little bonuses like a PSU souvenier in our room when we got there. Plenty of local newspapers and there were snacks in the evening and a nice breakfast (only used it Sunday). Now this may have been set up extra special for the football weekend--I cannot comment on what one would expect on a regular stay, thouigh we noted on their info sheet that many nights had special events like a manager's reception. The beds could be a little bigger, but the rooms were just fine for three guys for a weekend. Would consider staying here again. Note that it is *not* within walking distance of downtown or the stadium.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

kgilbert78,
Thank you for sharing feedback from your stay with us at Residence Inn State College. We appreciate you selecting our hotel while in town for the football game, and we're glad our value added amenities made for an enjoyable stay. We hope you'll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for two nights this month. We were very pleased with the accommodations and the staff. We especially appreciate the time that the staff person at the front desk when we arrived took to answer all our questions and to make sure we were comfortable. She went one step beyond what is required. We had our mini poodle with us and she was very sweet to her also. My husband and I do much traveling (we are Marriott "elites") and we were extremely pleased with the hotel. The rest of the staff was great also and the breakfast was more than adequate (and, yes, they had all sorts of teas).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

mary f,
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your stay at Residence Inn State College. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand, and we’re glad you found our accommodations and friendly staff to provide the exceptional stay that you’ve come to expect from us. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and we hope to see you again soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night - a weekday at the end of a summer term while helping our son move out of his apt. We have stayed at Residence Inns many times all over the country and have always found them very good to excellent - except for this one. The staff and service was just fine really - it is mostly the facility at fault here. We assumed they had king beds as standard like all other RIs we have stayed at but this one was billed as a queen but it was barely a full bed. Let me say - if you want a king bed a barely full bed is not just inadequate it is unacceptable. We called the desk immediately and were told there were no kings in any rooms at this location. Second issue was the size of the room. The bedroom was so tiny I could barely get around the bed and ended up with what I'm certain is a broken little toe stubbing it on the leg in the middle of the night trying to navigate to the sink for a drink of water. The pull out bed was a nightmare for my son and let me say most 20something boys aren't exactly particular where they sleep so you can imagine just how bad it was.... We found him sleeping on the sofa in the AM and he said he had to roll up the pull out in the middle of the night it was so awful. To cap it off I was sunburned from spending the day outside on campus and was chilled so we called down for an extra blanket. They brought it promptly and politely but as I soon as my husband handed it to me I could feel it was damp - EXTREMELY damp and it was the top quilt NOT the blanket I had asked for. It was late and I was rather annoyed by this point and put my fleece jacket on instead of recalling the desk. In the AM the breakfast was totally inadequate and had not even stocked regular decent tea bags. Honestly - how hard was that to do??? After all that and I cannot even get a cup of tea?? Nice staff but a bad facility and poorly trained staff in stocking and bedding care. There are a lot of hotels in State College and we visit frequently as we are both parents of a student and alumni ourselves. We had not stayed here before as it is far from campus but we will not be staying here again and will definitely not be recommending it to our friends and family.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank merf56
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

merf56,
Thank you for sharing a review. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. These details definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your stay. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

New bar has been set for Residence Inn's. I stay approx. 165 nights a year, and always prefer a Residence Inn type of hotel when I can get one. This one set a new standard for me. The staff was pleasant and eager to help, the rooms/property was well groomed/maintained, the location was ideal (near everything, but not to congested). Not a new property, but is extremely well kept. Next time I am in the area, I would go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Just stay here is all I can say, you won't regret it. I would be surprised to here a negative re...