“Disappointed”

Residence Inn State College
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed here for one night - a weekday at the end of a summer term while helping our son move out of his apt. We have stayed at Residence Inns many times all over the country and have always found them very good to excellent - except for this one. The staff and service was just fine really - it is mostly the facility at fault here. We assumed they had king beds as standard like all other RIs we have stayed at but this one was billed as a queen but it was barely a full bed. Let me say - if you want a king bed a barely full bed is not just inadequate it is unacceptable. We called the desk immediately and were told there were no kings in any rooms at this location. Second issue was the size of the room. The bedroom was so tiny I could barely get around the bed and ended up with what I'm certain is a broken little toe stubbing it on the leg in the middle of the night trying to navigate to the sink for a drink of water. The pull out bed was a nightmare for my son and let me say most 20something boys aren't exactly particular where they sleep so you can imagine just how bad it was.... We found him sleeping on the sofa in the AM and he said he had to roll up the pull out in the middle of the night it was so awful. To cap it off I was sunburned from spending the day outside on campus and was chilled so we called down for an extra blanket. They brought it promptly and politely but as I soon as my husband handed it to me I could feel it was damp - EXTREMELY damp and it was the top quilt NOT the blanket I had asked for. It was late and I was rather annoyed by this point and put my fleece jacket on instead of recalling the desk. In the AM the breakfast was totally inadequate and had not even stocked regular decent tea bags. Honestly - how hard was that to do??? After all that and I cannot even get a cup of tea?? Nice staff but a bad facility and poorly trained staff in stocking and bedding care. There are a lot of hotels in State College and we visit frequently as we are both parents of a student and alumni ourselves. We had not stayed here before as it is far from campus but we will not be staying here again and will definitely not be recommending it to our friends and family.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank merf56
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

merf56,
Thank you for sharing a review. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. These details definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your stay. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

New bar has been set for Residence Inn's. I stay approx. 165 nights a year, and always prefer a Residence Inn type of hotel when I can get one. This one set a new standard for me. The staff was pleasant and eager to help, the rooms/property was well groomed/maintained, the location was ideal (near everything, but not to congested). Not a new property, but is extremely well kept. Next time I am in the area, I would go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Just stay here is all I can say, you won't regret it. I would be surprised to here a negative re...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2013

Danny W,
Thank you for your review and complimentary feedback about our great hotel and team. I’m pleased to hear our excellence in service raised the bar of your expectations with our attentive staff, clean accommodations, and ideal location. We value your feedback and business, and we look forward to your return visit with us at Residence Inn State College. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Was looking for a suite type hotel away from the school/downtown area for some business meetings with a co-worker. Great location, easily accessed, clean and well kept. You have to drive to get to most restaurants in the area but that's not a big deal

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank OldTimer33592
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

OldTimer33592,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at Residence Inn State College. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our clean and spacious accommodations well suited for your business travel needs. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at and we hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place has everything I needed. The staff was extremely helpful even before we got here. We were upgraded to a two bedroom two bath suite with a full kitchen. There is a fitness center and indoor pool. There is a patio area with a Chimenea and a barbecue. There is a full breakfast and it is very plentiful clean and includes fresh fruit. If I had to return to State College I would definitely stay here!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gg99
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

gg99,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience with us at Residence Inn State College. It’s great to receive your kind comments about our helpful staff, spacious accommodations and the variety of amenities that we’re proud to offer our guests. We hope you will have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Everything is always perfect here! Room is always clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I think th rates are a little high but I am willing to pay for a nice, clean place to lay my head!
Was sad to see that they have moved to the 2 night minimum stay for Penn State "move in" weekend. Leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth to require a 2 night stay when I don't need it. Needless to say, we'll be staying elsewhere in August!

• Stayed: May 2013
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

BINK61,
It’s great to receive your review and kind comments about our clean hotel and friendly staff. Your feedback is important to me and provides opportunities for improving guest satisfaction. I sincerely apologize for your disappointment in our 2 night minimum for Penn State move in weekend. We value you as our guest and hope you will consider staying with us again in August. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was in town visiting my old roommates (we all went to PSU) and decided to stay here. It was such a gem! The room was clean and spacious and and equipped with all the ammenities we needed. The kitchen was fully stocked with clutlery, serving dishes, plates, forks, etc. It had a dishwasher, full sized fridge and microwave - and complimentary bags of popcorn!

The TV is newer and nice, the beds are what I expect from any Marriott (absolutely AMAZING), the bathroom was nice and clean, the couch was comfy.....it was all very nice!

The staff was super nice. The desk attendant who checked us in was really friendly (I forget his name, but he was wearing a pink dress shirt). Jose was funny and full of smiles and Stephanie, (the guest care manager who cheked us out on our last day), was an absolute delight. They were all about the guest which ultimately makes or breaks a hotel.

All in all, lovely staff, lovely room and a lovely stay. I'll definitely be back next time I'm in the area!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

alias1on1,
Thank you for your review. I hope you had a great time visiting with your old roommates from PSU. We appreciate your complimentary feedback on our great hotel, spacious rooms and friendly staff. I’ll be sure to recognize Jose and Stephanie with a special commendation for their excellence in customer service. Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Residence Inn State College. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were in State College for admitted student day, and chose the Residence Inn as the rooms are more spacious. The staff was friendly when we arrived, and throughout the visit. While the kitchen area in the room seemed a bit worn compared to other Residence Inns we've visited, the queen suite provided two separate sleeping areas (my daughter used the sleeper sofa in the living room area) which was perfect. There were two TVs, also nice to have. If my daughter decides to attend Penn State (she loved the visit), I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dante81
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dante81,
Thank you for your review. We're glad you and your daughter stayed with us while visiting Penn State. We're glad you liked our property and wonderful staff. Should your travels bring you back to our area, please stay with us again. We look forward to it.
Shane A. Niman