“Basic. Spacious. Must LOVE dogs.”

Residence Inn State College
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed November 1, 2011

As a Marriott Gold Rewards member I have staying in quite a number of Marriotts. However, I have never stayed at a Residence Inn. Well, it certainly was different. I have to say the room was clean and neat but it appeared old. The rooms are suites with kitchenettes. The pull out bed was not made up. The sheets are paper thin. But all was bearable until we tried to go to sleep.
Apparently, you are allowed to have small pets. Well, the small dog in the room next to us was apparently VERY upset that its owners decided to leave him there while they went out. So the dog barked and cried constantly for hours!! We called down to the front desk a half a dozen times to see what they could do and everytime it was the same response, "There is nothing we can do". Its seems a bit ridiculous that they couldn't do anything to get the dog to be quiet. This went on until about midnight when the owners finally returned.
So let me just say this about that, I will NEVER stay at a Residence Inn again. They are just not for me. And God knows how many animals went to the bathroom on the floor or sofa in that place.
Stay at your own will:-)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice. My daughter is a Penn State student so we stayed here during her moving in. The hotel rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. Very spacious and would certainly accomodate someone for an extended stay. There is a full kitchen, a small living room area and the bedroom area. The first time we stayed the bedroom was separated from the living area by a wall, but the second time, there was no separation. The bathroom is quite small, however there is a separate vanity area outside that is a good size. Only problem is you can not get ready without waking everyon else up beacuse the light will shine into the bedroom area. The complimentary breakfast is fine for a quick bite. It offers the usual fare for hotel free breakfast, and does have some healthier options, like fresh fruit and yogurt. I would not hesitate to stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2011

When we arrived at 5 pm, they had a little buffet set up with mini quiches, meatballs, pasta salad, soft drinks and desserts. That was a nice welcome. The room was great --- kitchen, living area with an automatic start fireplace, and a jacuzzi in the bathroom --- we were on the 3rd floor. The breakfast was nice --- waffle maker, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, red skin potatoes, juices, yogurts, cereals, bagels, muffins, etc... It was a pleasant way to start your day!

Room Tip: shop around for pricing --- it's right in State College, so you are going to pay more
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My extended stay (12 days) was disappointing. About half the nights were disturbed by noisy neighbors overhead. If you must stay here, insist on a third floor room. Room furnishings were frumpy and worn compared with newer Residence Inns. The staff was mostly accommodating and helpful, though the front desk staff didn't even ask how I felt about my stay when I checked out.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dwd1
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Dear dwd1,

I’m very sorry to hear your stay with us wasn’t enjoyable; I regret not knowing about your noisy neighbors as we would have promptly relocated you to quieter room. Please accept my sincere apologies; I understand how frustrating that must have been. I hope this experience doesn’t discourage you from staying with Residence Inn in the future; we appreciate your business and that you took the time to share your review.

Best regards,

Shane Niman, General Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2010

I would certainly stay here again. I liked the location, on the edge of town, and everything about the room was comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Thank you for your review – looking forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed June 23, 2010

We recently visited State College for a YHEC state event. I loved that it was so close to town, campus and the Scotia shooting range where we spent most of Saturday. We did make a stop both nights we stayed at the creamery on campus. It's to die for. Lines moved quickly and they're open late.
When we arrived the first thing I noticed was the landscaping. They could really use a mulch delivery. There were weeds everywhere. They had gorgous impatients mixed in with the jungle. The entryway was very inviting with the wooden rockers and nice flowers.
We arrived at the standard check-in time and our room was ready for us. The front desk clerk was cheerful.
Our room [203] was a 1 bed suite. Our 11 year old slept on the pull-out.As always I LOVE the bed. That's why I became a Marriot member. It's like sleeping on a cloud. I just don't understand why they had mauve curtains??The room is decorated in the standard marriot green and rust theme. They really didn't match well. Other than that it was very clean.
My son used the pool alot we also enjoyed the patio area.Great patio furniture with a fireplace in the center.
Breakfast was very good. A little better than most hotels. The breakfast employee was very attentive and kept the area very clean.
I would definately stay here next year when we come back !

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank wakeandbake
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The staff of this hotel was among the most helpful that I have ever encountered in my lifetime of traveling. They made sure that our rollaway bed was in our room by late afternoon (hours before we had arrived, I know this because I called ahead to confirm the reservation at about 5 p.m. and to ask about the rollaway and they said that it was already there).

The checkin procedure was hassle free and smooth as silk.

When we entered our room we noticed that we did not have enough towels for our party of four. I called the desk and they brought plenty more, and they arrived in less than two minutes. It’s impossible to beat that. This occurred despite the fact that they have no bellboys on staff to deal with this sort of thing. The woman who was working at the front desk made the towel run herself, personally and in good cheer.

We arrived rather late and we were hungry after driving for 11 hours. We asked the same wonderful woman at the front desk (I wish I had caught her name) about places to eat that might still be open late on a Saturday night, and she had a lot of good ideas. We settled on a place that she said was about a mile away, Faccia Luna, 1229 S. Atherton. I’ve posted a separate review of that fabulous place under State College restaurants, but suffice it to say here that we really appreciated the hotel staff’s terrific recommendation for food.

I cannot speak highly enough of the staff here. Bravo, bravo!

The hotel itself had a few issues, but nothing too serious. Our room #222 was too cold due to the air conditioning, which we could not turn off despite a lot of fiddling with the thermostat. (In fairness to the hotel, I must also add that I did not complain about the a/c, we just put on blankets and went to sleep). Our queen sized bed was way too springy, so much so that if we had tried to engage in any horizontal refreshment we would have been catapulted out from the bed by the recoil. Fortunately for us, we were too tired. We slept comfortably despite the springy bed.

The checkout procedure was even smoother than the easy checkin. No problems and no surprises.

The complimentary breakfast was your basic hotel buffet fare, nothing to praise or to criticize, really. However, I must also add that I find the styrofoam or plastic plates and plastic cutlery that are seemingly ubiquitous in hotel breakfast buffets to be a constant irritant. The hot food can melt those plates, and even if that were not the case, the styrofoam and plastic just cheapen the hotel breakfast experience. Oatmeal was so hot that two people in the breakfast room called it “lava oats,” and they were not too far off the mark. It’s OK to serve too hot oatmeal only if it is not in dishware that melts at extreme temperatures.

I find the cheap plates and cutlery to be particularly inexcusable in Residence Inns, because they already have decent dishware and silverware available for use in the guest rooms. It’s not as though they don’t already have the dishware and silverware. So why cheapen the breakfast experience with the stryofoam and plastic in the buffet? I just don’t get it. I hope one of these days I can stop ranting about this issue, but I won’t until the stryofoam and plastic is history.

Summary of my review of this hotel: staff is top notch, kudos to them. The hotel could use a few improvements, but overall, it was a good experience in State College.

P.S. I didn’t try to use the internet service, so I have no basis for comment about that.

• Stayed: June 2010
dheinlein, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel and for recognizing Liz at the front desk – she’s very dedicated to taking care of our guests and this made her day. We agree that Faccia Luna is an excellent choice for dinner, glad you enjoyed it! We do wish you had mentioned the temperature in your room while you were here so that we could have taken care of it for you, but appreciate you including it in your review. After reading it, our Chief Engineer inspected the unit to make sure it’s working properly. Thanks again for your review; hope to see you next time you’re in Happy Valley!