“Not bad--but not in the winter.”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in State College
Ithaca, New York
“Not bad--but not in the winter.”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Sleep Inn wasn't bad. I went there because I had a Choice Hotels membership. It was clean---it was also VERY empty. I didn't see a single other hotel guest that day, and very few hotel staff. The location is terrible if you have anything other than sunshine. I had a quick business trip, and I already know the local bus system around there, so I had planned to take the bus in and out of downtown. But because the hotel is set off the road, accessibility to the bus depends entirely on whether the surrounding neighborhood feels like cleaning up snow and ice--which they didn't during my stay (I almost fell several times on my way to the bus stop). The hotel also didn't have an ATM, so not only did I have to walk through very icy conditions to get to a gas station to use the ATM for bus fare, but I also had to cross a very busy main road (also dotted with ice) to get to the bus stop a few blocks down. I don't think accessibility to the bus would have bothered me nearly as much if it hadn't been so incredibly dangerous (like if I went to visit in the spring or summer). The other complaint I have is about the actual hotel room---the pillows were like airbags. They were extremely uncomfortable. The bed was ok, though the sheets were pretty rough. Ultimately, I don't think this would be my first choice on another visit, but I'd stay there if I had to, or if I was in a pinch for money.

Room Tip: The heat is in an A/C unit in the room. I didn't figure that out right away, but when I did, I l...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn while in State College on a business trip. We sincerely appreciate you sharing your comments and concerns. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We value your business and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to State College.

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Lewistown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I'll be honest. Picked this place because I had a $50 Choice gift card and we needed a place to stay due to weather. We had an early flight out of State College - 5;45 am and I live 35 miles away over a mountain. We were up and out of room by 4:30 am. Sadly the weather did not cooperate. So we did not actually leave until 1:35 pm that day although we checked out around 7 am. The staff at the Sleep Inn bent over backwards to help us out. Offered us breakfast before breakfast was officially open. Let us park car in their lot for a week even though we had officially checked out and came back after flight had not left. Then we took their shuttle out to airport although it was made clear we could stay in lobby closer to when our flight left. The room is about what you would expect from a Choice Hotel option. Our room was fine. I'm not a big fan of ground floor rooms, but this one was not noisy. But then again, I suspect we were one of very few guests so can't speak to what it may be like on a busy weekend. Breakfast is a lot of refined white flour stuff and I do wish Choice would recognize the proliferation of Gluten Free diets and that oatmeal is a tiresome option. But that is not the staff's fault. That is Choice tell them what they can serve. Overall, still can't get over how accommodating and friendly the staff were at this property.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn for your recent overnight stay in State College. We sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Our Sleep Inn is a Designed to Dream location offering cozy, modern rooms at a great value. We take great pride in the service we provide to all our guests and will share your comments with our team.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

sparta, nj
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I got here late Friday on a football weekend which means inflated prices and a two-night minimum stay so for basic rooms you will wind up paying close to $400. Almost all hotels in State College have the jacked up rates and 2-night minimum on football weekends. First room was not as planned - queen instead of a double, this for me and 17-year old son. No other rooms were available and it was 11:30 pm so we had no choice. This room on the ground floor hadn't been cleaned properly - wine spill on the sink counter was not wiped up, sink wasn't clean. The room was a bit beat up - cracks in the fiberglass shower stall, cracks in the sink. Only two bath size towels for two of us. Made do. Contacted manager (Lisa R.) the next day from the road, explained situation, and she pleasantly arranged a switch for us to a room with double beds which was a great improvement. That room was clean and in much better condition. Fairly basic breakfast. The room key did not work to open the rear door on the first night - we parked at the rear of the hotel. Staff said that the scanner sometimes doesn't work = but they did come and open the door for us after we had unloaded our luggage. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our Team for the issues you experienced with your room during the first night of your stay, guest satisfaction is important to us. I am glad I was able to help make your stay better.

We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to accommodating you on your next visit to State College.

Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have stayed here for football games for 4 years now (2-3 games per season). First two years were great. Last year OK. This year horrendous. The walls are so thin every noise in the hotel will wake you up. Dumpsters get emptied every Saturday morning around 5:30AM. Breakfast has been terrible 3 for 3 this year. They have one poor girl left to stock breakfast for 300-400ppl. They run out of eggs, sausage, bagels EVERY TIME. People got chunky milk this past Saturday. Their excuse at the front desk was "well we now have this waffle maker you can use since we do not have the other items". Also did I mention as the service has gotten worse over the past two years the hotel prices have gone up substantially? Thanks for bad nights sleep, scraps for breakfast, and more out of my wallet this year Sleep Inn of State College. Would love to see your response to this truth felt by many.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
sleep16803, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for being a loyal guest of the Sleep Inn and taking the time to let us know where our service and product have fallen short of your expectations.

During a special event time such as a football weekend, we are presented with many challenges, and rate is certainly one of the key issues. The reality is that we deliberately position ourselves below our Competitors during these events in hopes to build and maintain customer loyalty. As a comparison, we have actually lowered our average rate this year, and even more for next year during home games, while still providing some additional value added amenities.

In the past year we did add an additional breakfast room to better accommodate our guests along with additional hot items such as the waffles. However running out of any items is certainly not acceptable, and we take this criticism very seriously and will investigate exactly what needs to be adjusted from this point forward.

Regrettably I am perplexed by the noise concern regarding the dumpster, as our purveyor is not scheduled on Saturday’s, and never in the early morning. We will try to determine what this disruption was.

Again, in closing, thank you for taking the time to express you concerns, and if you would like to discuss these or any other issues further please do not hesitate to contact me or my Assistant, Lisa Ripka directly at (814)235-1020. I certainly hope we may redeem ourselves in your eyes on your next visit to State College.

Respectfully,

Krista Olson
Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

State college has many chices of where to stay but trip advisor led me here. iThe sleep inn chain is fairly new to me in choice hotel line. I use choice hotels to earn free stays. In 4 sleep inns they have been consistent. Consistent In good location, excellent service, bedding, food, modern decor and available pc Internet. Many have a pool. I don't know how they do that for the price. For budget hotels I guarantee you won't do better after checking trip advisor. Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2013
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn during your recent visit to State College, Pa. We appreciate your comments and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are pleased with the consistency that the Sleep Inn Brand offers. Our Sleep Inn is a Designed to Dream location offering modern/cozy rooms and a complimentary Morning Medley Breakfast at a great value. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Quick business stay but impressed with cleanliness, clean, working cardio equipment (water and towels) and very accomodating friendly staff. Restaurants within walking distance and PSU not far away. Been at other Sleep Inns and this one is at top of class of this brand.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn of State College while visiting the area. We appreciate your kind comments and are pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our staff takes great pride in the service they provide and they strive to make the Sleep Inn of State College a "Home away from Home" for our guests. We have recently added a Waffle Station to our Morning Medley Breakfast for our guests to enjoy each morning. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Pittsburgh
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We wanted to visit State College on a random non-football weekend. We normally would stay at the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. but didn't want to pay the higher rates. We decided to try the Sleep Inn. We had never stayed in a Sleep Inn, but I would definitely try another from this experience. For much less than the other hotels, we had the same experience. Very clean, updated decor, nice free breakfast (not as large as a Hampton breakfast, but definitely enough variety.) Everyone was very friendly, and the hotel was very clean. The kids loved the free cookies as well. The corridor of the non-smoking floor did smell like smoke (other end of the floor must be smoking), but the room itself was just fine. For the few trips in the corridor, it was fine. We also liked that the sink was outside the bathroom. This made getting ready in the morning a lot easier for 4 people. This was a great value and I'd definitely come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We were pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent visit to State College. Our Sleep Inn is a Designed to Dream location offering modern rooms and a complimentary Morning Medley Breakfast at a great value. I am happy to hear that your kids loved our freshly baked cookies that we have in our lobby everyday. Thank you for your business and please keep us in mind for all of your future travel plans to State College.