“Another solid stay”

Ranked #21 of 26 Hotels in State College
Arlington, VA
“Another solid stay”
Reviewed January 26, 2008

Another solid stay. Rooms was super clean. Furniture was newer than last stay. Normally I have trouble sleeping in new places, but I actually slept in until 11AM both days. VERY unlike me. The black out shades worked perfectly. Nice to have a little fridge and microwave. VERY VERY QUIET. Nice to have a variety of reasonable snacks/beverages in the vending machines.

Rooms are a bit small (I know that going in), but this is a very solid clean place to stay at.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kvandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mullica Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Spent one night here while attending a concert at PSU. Had connecting rooms. Very clean hotel with very friendly, helpful staff. Close to restaurants and concert venue. Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dogsmom
Rehovot
Reviewed November 8, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Sleep Inn as part of our Fall foliage quest.. It is conveniently located between State College (PSU) and a large shopping area.

Check in was efficient, and our kind of smallish room had a microwave and a minifridge. It also had a safe and a one-cup coffee maker. The bathroom was small but clean and adequate.

The continental breakfast was adequate also (filling), but not for the carbohydrate challenged.

Our stay was well worth the very reasonable price of $54 plus tax.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank Ira G
State College
Reviewed July 23, 2007

We stayed two nights at the Sleep Inn with 2 adults and 3 kids. This is a new hotel, with great friendly front desk staff, breakfast and free newspaper. There were plenty of towels, toiletries, and a coffee maker in our room. The only negatives I could think of was the room felt too small for our family, and the coverlet was made of a slippery material that would not stay on the bed no matter how we tried. Breakfast was great: cereals, fruit, bagels, muffins, juices and great coffee.

• Liked — brand new feeling
  • Disliked — room size is too small for two double beds
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank somedutt
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed July 8, 2007

More often than not, I find that I have a higher opinion of a given place listed on Trip Advisor than others do, and sometimes a lot higher opinion. This is certainly a case of the opposite being so From my experience, I just can't see giving this place a five-star review. To be sure, it is pretty clean, and not too far from downtown State College and the campus (though further from the heart of them than I had expected from their ads). It's pretty well maintained as well, and everything in my room worked reasonably well. But this room was very drab--cheap 1980s style decor of the sort I would expect from a Motel 6, and also with no bathtub (shower only, though hot water was plentiful). The sound insulation is below average; I could hear people clearly until after midnight out in the hall. Breakfast was good, but there is not nearly enough room for it--the room for it was far too small and people kept bumping into each other. The commercial neighborhood it is in is, again, okay, but nothing of unusual beauty. The value was okay, but I would have expected cheaper given that I visited outside the college season. It was certainly an adequate place to stay, and I can't complain too much, but I've certainly paid less and gotten more elsewhere. In short, I felt it was much more ordinary than extraordinary for the price.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
Anywhere, USA
Reviewed July 6, 2007

When we pulled up to the front of the hotel I feared I may have made a mistake, for the outside was not very appealing. However, upon entering my mind was put at ease. The staff at the desk were friendly and helpful and the lobby, although small, was clean and nicely decorated. I was also impressed with out room. It was modernly decorated, clean and spacious. To my surprise our room included a fridge and a microwave. The bathroom was small and only contained a toilet and a shower stall (though it was a rather large stall), the sink and counter were in the main room. Although the rest of the bathroom was clean, I did find a few hairs on the wall of the shower stall. I thought the room was quiet but another member of my party found the air conditioner to be too noisy.

The hotel was in a good area. Along the road the hotel is off of, there are plenty of restaurants and stores such as wal-mart. The hotel was also just a 5 minute drive to Penn State.

I used the free WiFi and was pleased. I received good reception and fast speeds. The TV had a more channels that I am used to at a hotel but the picture was not always great. I was disappointed that the hotel did not have any exercise room or any agreement with an area gym.

The breakfast was better than I expected. There was fruit, bagels, english muffins, muffins, danishes, three brand name cereals, juice, coffee and a toaster.

Our room was a great value for the price we paid and certainly meet my needs for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2007
2 Thank whambam
Norwalk
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My wife was visiting State College for an academic conference, and we stayed here for 2 nights.

This is a modern, very well maintained, and tastefully appointed property. Nice 2-level lobby. Substantial continental breakfast, and REALLY nice rooms. About .5 miles from Penn State campus. I would have expected to pay about $50 more per night for a room of this quality.

• Liked — Quality, cleanliness, price
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business